Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Literary news

Well, this article says she's as lucid as ever, which I hope is true.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/06/bo...new-novel.html

“I don’t think that anybody that says she’s demented has been to see her in the last 10 years,” Mr. Flynt said. “The problem may be that almost nobody goes to see her, almost nobody gets in. She’s such a private person.”

Princess Sparklefists Sansa Spark's Avatar
    I'm with you, Nancy. But this whole thing has given me weird feelings...

As I understand it, the novel written before TKAM. I'm a bit suspect as well. Lee never indicated that she wanted this publish. Sad that her literary agent is acting so predatory.

Count me among the suspicious. I'm glad to see there's at least the beginnings of an investigation:

Now the State of Alabama has been drawn into the debate. Responding to at least one complaint of potential elder abuse related to the publication of “Watchman,” investigators interviewed Ms. Lee last month at the assisted living facility where she resides. They have also interviewed employees at the facility, called the Meadows, as well as several friends and acquaintances.
    Harper Lee’s Condition Debated by Friends, Fans and Now State of Alabama

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    So, maybe some of the writers on here can tell me from their perspective what it is like to write a novel (as opposed to a journal or diary) that you never intend on sharing. I'm assuming that said novel is past the first draft phase. I don't understand that psychologically. This question isn't so much about Harper Lee as it is about writer's who do this.
    Miss Vanjieeee. Miss Vanjiee. ..Miss Van..

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    I used to write a lot. It was mostly cathartic, to get shit off my chest... especially when I was cripplingly lonely and had no one to talk to. Life before the internet sucked so hard...

So yeah, I would use it to work my personal stuff out. Sometimes it was to vent, sometimes it was to make a happy ending out of things that went bad. I love to sing too, but I don't perform in front of people any more. Some things you do because you just HAVE to, you do it to get the voices out of your head for the most part.

I'm not a great fiction writer, so I also mostly gave up cause it sucked. Maybe Ms Lee thought her stuff sucked too. It doesn't mean it DOES suck, but she might be a harsh critic on herself.

First, I think that there are many shades between writing something and never wanting anyone to see it ("never intend on sharing") and publishing with a major publishing house. Think about Emily Dickinson, who is famous for being reclusive and not publishing even though she wrote hundreds of poems: she regularly sent poems to friends and family.*

Also keep in mind that publishing of any kind immediately enters your work into an economic and ideological marketplace, and there are many reasons why an author would not want to engage with that. But history bears out that those who take the effort to write a novel often do share it with friends and family, and attempt to publish their work.

I don't know enough about Harper Lee to speculate why she didn't publish this book, but she obviously had some reason. She knew if she wanted to publish it, it would be snapped right up and become a phenomenal success. For whatever reason, this was not the path she opted for. Her wishes should be respected.

*Dickinson made no mention of the enormity of her body of work to her family, and while her publishing history has been rather fraught--to put it mildly--she made no provision in her will to keep it out of print. I don't know if Harper Lee has made any arrangements for the future managing of her estate.
    Last edited by Nora; 03-14-2015 at 03:52 PM.

Princess Sparklefists Sansa Spark's Avatar
    Any Ferrante lovers around to weigh in on this? I just couldn't bring myself to link the NY Review of Books piece directly.

http://jezebel.com/doxxing-elena-fer...ere-1787335159

So, Nobel Prize for Dylan.
    Does he deserve it?
    (I'm asking cause I don't like his music and never paid attention to his lyrics)
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

The short answer is yes. You should check him out.

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar

Yesssss!

Shit that trilogy undid me. And it's meant to be a children's book, of all things.

And in the evening it's. . . Andrea's Avatar
    I've never read the first trilogy, but it sounds interesting.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    This isn't quite news, but omfg