Page 94 of 96 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596 LastLast
Results 1,396 to 1,410 of 1429

Thread: Tori Amos Confessions: Unforumzed Edition

  1. #1396
    she might not be so bold fullofwish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,550
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    I AM SAVING ALL OF THESE GIFS. Next time I get stuck on a script, I want this one to pop up.

    Right??!?! I'm midway through my PhD and it's driving me to tears on a frequent basis - I'm gonna print this screenshot and have it right above my desk next to my Academic Tim Gunn ones

  2. #1397
    Butts. soignee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Scandinaeveeuhh-uhh
    Posts
    3,308
    Quote Originally Posted by velvetjosephine View Post
    ask, and ye shall receive



    YOU ARE AMAZING.

    ASDJ;AKSJD;LAKSJDAlaksjdaklsjd;alksd.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    All I can think right now...

    SOIGNEE YOU GREEN GURL??!
    What happened to pink or whatever colour you were before.

    Also... not feeling Tori forum for a while now.
    I'm a brightly coloured person, Spikey- obvs. I switch my colours up. (I miss the pink already help)

  3. #1398
    Threat level: Bitch in a wheelchair andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,369
    Just about the gifs - whoever dressed that set for this video should be fired.

  4. #1399
    it's a long long climb Kari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    16,144
    Quote Originally Posted by fullofwish View Post
    Right??!?! I'm midway through my PhD and it's driving me to tears on a frequent basis - I'm gonna print this screenshot and have it right above my desk next to my Academic Tim Gunn ones
    Oh man, my MFA was bad enough, I can't imagine going that one step further. GOD SPEED.

    I basically want Tim Gunn to live in my house.

  5. #1400
    Molecular Machine John's Face's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    848
    Confession: I get super annoyed when people edit Tori track lists. Not sure why.

  6. #1401
    Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,819
    Quote Originally Posted by velvetjosephine View Post
    ask, and ye shall receive




















    "If you want to hate, good luck with that." "Neutrality. That's the most powerful place to be".

    I am so in love with her right now!!

  7. #1402
    Quote Originally Posted by John's Face View Post
    Confession: I get super annoyed when people edit Tori track lists. Not sure why.
    I do too for some reason! Hahaha

    I mean, to each their own, and I suppose that with the digital age, mixing it up is just so easy that people do it more readily. Still, I think it's weird to edit albums period.

    I just listen to music differently, I guess. *shrug*

  8. #1403
    Crimson Liberator Faust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    5,757
    Quote Originally Posted by John's Face View Post
    Confession: I get super annoyed when people edit Tori track lists. Not sure why.
    I mean, playlists and shit are cool or whatever, but I'm right here with you. I hate all of that "my edit " shit
    'Tis better to bend with the wind than stand tall and be broken. Therein lies hope; therein lies freedom.

  9. #1404
    Senior Member tolotti_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Posts
    263
    Yeah, I don't make edits. I just skip the tracks I don't feel like listening to. The only thing I did with ADP, AATS and NOH tho was changing the covers.

  10. #1405
    Let them eat cheese flan Nancy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,370
    I'm a skipper too, and I rarely listen in any other format than CDs or vinyl.

  11. #1406
    Junior Member kykeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    caput mundi
    Posts
    3
    Hi friends, I have a "hot take" to propose concerning Scarlet's Walk (and I'm unsure if I should post this here or in the SW thread).

    I will preface this by saying that my comment comes from a place of love for the album, and that if it's not among my "Top 4" Tori albums, it is only because I regard several others with much more esteem. No SW haterade here.

    Even so, my hot take is the following: the "sonic novel" concept is a bit frivolous, in the sense that I don't find the "concept" to be integral to "understanding" and appreciating the album. For one thing, I simply find it excessively difficult to pick up on the intricacies of the concept. Barring a few exceptions, I find it difficult to attach the music itself to a particular location in such a way that reflects what Mrs. Amos was thinking at the time. I even tried to piece a few things together sifting through interviews on Yessaid, and I found there to be a lot of "conceptual stretching" going on (such as the super-convenient detour to Alaska to be found in Amber Waves). In other cases, it seems like the analysis Tori provided in interviews directly contradicted the lyrics of certain songs. I may be mistaken, but I seem to remember that Tori presented "Strange" as something of a political anthem (perhaps with reference to cruelties towards Native Americans IIRC). If anything, "Strange" seems to be a foreshadowing of the sort of "sentimental discussions" that Tori conducts on the Beekeeper. (Spoiler alert: another "hot take" of mine is that TBK is depressingly underrated and misunderstood).
    In my own humble opinion, the songs individually and the album as a whole would have been just as powerful (if not more) if Tori had simply said "look, I wrote a bunch of semi-political songs, hope you folks like it." A (great) song such as "Amber Waves" could stand just as easily on its own as a very allegorical criticism of the "pimping out" of the USA without any mention of "Scarlet" visiting "her friend" "Amber Waves."

    I'd like to reiterate that this confession doesn't come from a place of dislike for the album. I hope it's clear that I am "bashing" the concept precisely because I think the songs are so strong on their own. I would also be extremely grateful if someone could point me in the direction of an (ideally written/transcribed) interview with Tori that will clear up some of my confusion about the concept of SW.

    (I also haven't brought up the matter of "Scarletization." on some days I think that some of the solo piano promotional performances [mainly radio] that Tori did at the time far outshine the studio recordings. We'll save that for another time)

  12. #1407
    Senior Member Ime Achoo Dooa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    aimlessly Celtic
    Posts
    687
    ^Tori's concepts have always been at best "half-baked". I think she records a bunch of songs and creates a narrative so as to have some nonsense to spout off for the promotional cycle. Essentially every album since her fuck-you to Atlantic (SLG) up to "sonic selfie" UG was supposedly a concept album. You can read in other threads rapturous responses to NI where fans shoehorn every sort of absurd interpretation (Chocolate Song is about the Trump election? LMAO) but hey, she has a dedicated fanbase and knows she can get away with it. This even goes for songs like Strange where "blue isn't red" could conceivably *possibly* be interpreted as a political lyric. Point is, as fans, we want to read as much into it as we can because we are hard-wired to do so. This schtick of hers worked for an album of fantastic songs, not so much for bloated steaming piles of cat(lady) shit...gardens and Greek gods anyone?

    Choirgirl was the start, though, where she was more or less floating this "secret decoder ring" for the TRUE FANS approach to her albums and introduced us to the idea of her songs as "girls" who inhabit different rooms. She later went all-out with this idea with SLG and the Kevyn Aucoin characters. But even then, it was an extraneous element that didn't take center stage.

    This is because for SLG and SW she still had *a vision*. The sound, the aesthetic, the inspiration...it was a potent part of those albums. If I could go back in time and tell myself that Scarletization was leagues above the Mac Aladdin bullshit we've been subjected to for more than a decade since, I would slap myself for being so ungrateful to actually HEAR THE PIANO.

    But yeah...The "sonic novel" thing was just as much of a gimmick as every single other press release explanation Tori has given since she cried on the kitchen floor with the faeries post-YKTR and she came up with LE. If it's good, it's bearable. If not, well...


  13. #1408
    Butts. soignee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Scandinaeveeuhh-uhh
    Posts
    3,308
    Quote Originally Posted by kykeon View Post
    Hi friends, I have a "hot take" to propose concerning Scarlet's Walk (and I'm unsure if I should post this here or in the SW thread).

    I will preface this by saying that my comment comes from a place of love for the album, and that if it's not among my "Top 4" Tori albums, it is only because I regard several others with much more esteem. No SW haterade here.

    Even so, my hot take is the following: the "sonic novel" concept is a bit frivolous, in the sense that I don't find the "concept" to be integral to "understanding" and appreciating the album. For one thing, I simply find it excessively difficult to pick up on the intricacies of the concept. Barring a few exceptions, I find it difficult to attach the music itself to a particular location in such a way that reflects what Mrs. Amos was thinking at the time. I even tried to piece a few things together sifting through interviews on Yessaid, and I found there to be a lot of "conceptual stretching" going on (such as the super-convenient detour to Alaska to be found in Amber Waves). In other cases, it seems like the analysis Tori provided in interviews directly contradicted the lyrics of certain songs. I may be mistaken, but I seem to remember that Tori presented "Strange" as something of a political anthem (perhaps with reference to cruelties towards Native Americans IIRC). If anything, "Strange" seems to be a foreshadowing of the sort of "sentimental discussions" that Tori conducts on the Beekeeper. (Spoiler alert: another "hot take" of mine is that TBK is depressingly underrated and misunderstood).
    In my own humble opinion, the songs individually and the album as a whole would have been just as powerful (if not more) if Tori had simply said "look, I wrote a bunch of semi-political songs, hope you folks like it." A (great) song such as "Amber Waves" could stand just as easily on its own as a very allegorical criticism of the "pimping out" of the USA without any mention of "Scarlet" visiting "her friend" "Amber Waves."

    I'd like to reiterate that this confession doesn't come from a place of dislike for the album. I hope it's clear that I am "bashing" the concept precisely because I think the songs are so strong on their own. I would also be extremely grateful if someone could point me in the direction of an (ideally written/transcribed) interview with Tori that will clear up some of my confusion about the concept of SW.

    (I also haven't brought up the matter of "Scarletization." on some days I think that some of the solo piano promotional performances [mainly radio] that Tori did at the time far outshine the studio recordings. We'll save that for another time)
    This is a good post.

    I remember pouring over the map with the lyric booklet, confused. The story made no sense to me (really though, who knocked up Scarlet?) but there is a sense of it almost being a story when I listen, I just don't know what.

    Neil Gaiman can write more on it, maybe. I liked the booklet stories he did.

  14. #1409
    thirst world problems Octopussy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    6,899
    I think the sonic novel came after everything else was finished. Because as a literal timeline of events, it's ridiculous. Like please Tori don't make me think too much about how much this trip is going to cost, I have enough financial anxiety as it is, and Scarlet is apparently one of the richest women in America to afford all that gas for her car and taxi services and plane rides and walking down dirt roads in fancy fashion. Also the thing about Scarlet being "a woman, a thread, a drop of blood"... she gave us way too much to read into. It was boggling at the time because I was trying to appreciate it as something more cerebral like BFP, but then we have maps and online journals and Scarlet Stories with character development as if this were an actual thing that happened. #TOOMUCH

  15. #1410
    generally largely right Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,891
    I actually watched that entire Beekeeper gardens video and I have to say that it makes a lot more sense to me at 35 than it did at 23.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •