Page 1 of 90 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Tori Amos Confessions: Unforumzed Edition

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar

Tori Amos Confessions: Unforumzed Edition

And no, I don't mean those dreadful sparkly gag-worthy Tumblr posts! But they did get me thinking - what are some of the perhaps unpopular opinions you hold about Tori/her music? It could be that you love a song that is generally disliked, or maybe you hate a song that seems universally loved - that sort of thing.

I shall begin with some "confessions":

• I like and have always liked "Cars and Guitars."
    • I think Mac Aladdin's guitar work on Scarlet's Walk is actually quite good.
    • I think Midwinter Graces is her worst album.
    • I haven't listened to a Tori Amos album this year.

Hurt people hurt people too toriMODE's Avatar
    Raining Blood is probably my favorite cover she's ever done.

- I absolutely love Dolphin Song. Sometimes I just have the urge to play it, and it's one of the very few songs I can listen to five times in a row.
    - I find some of the 90's Demon Tori more embarrassing and forced than Fori.
    - I hate her covers of Smeels Like Teen Spirit and Losing my Religion.

I hate the Sugar live - I think the whole "pussy" part feels too contrived.

I like Ribbons Undone and Sleeps with Butterfly. They're not her best work, but they aren't her worst.

I knew my love affair with her was ending when I heard 1000 Oceans.

I am horrifyingly embarrassed by American Doll Posse.
    chillin in kyoto grand with my man Skrill

plastic surgery monster rattlesnakes's Avatar
    Confession: Looking at Tori's 2012 face, I don't find her 2005 face bizarre anymore.

Speaking badger, fawn, rabbit RecoveringXian's Avatar
    I love "Secret Spell."

and it sounds like all our lives Kari's Avatar
    Ooooh I'll play!

• I don't like Choirgirl as much as I think I'm supposed to. Don't get me wrong - its a great album, and was a great tour, but I never listen to it that much as a whole. I actually think that's when things started going downhill for me. I felt a sort of disconnect I hadn't before. Venus confirmed it for me.
    • I love the hell out of Midwinter Graces but only during the months of October - January.
    • On that note, A Silent Night With You made me cry like a bitch walking to the train one day. My husband and I had just had a big fight and it really hit home.
    • I think AATS is one of the worst albums I've ever heard pretty much ever, not just by Tori Amos. I actually questioned whether any of her other music was actually good or if I was just young and stupid. I was actually angry about how terrible that album was and I really thought I was done.
    • I still listen to Tori more often than anything else, if anything because I put my iPod on shuffle and usually don't skip Tori songs. It's laziness and habit.
    • I hated Riot Poof for ten years, and now I like it, but Datura still sucks.

Speaking badger, fawn, rabbit RecoveringXian's Avatar
    Piggybacking off of Kari's last point: I'm not in love with "Datura," and I actually prefer the plant-list section to the "Dividing Canaan" part.

so what if i like pretty things Bryan Alan's Avatar
    • Despite its less than desirable production, The Beekeeper is easily one of my favorite Tori albums.
    • However, I have never been able to get through Garlands without falling asleep.
    • I am a huge fan of the Crucify Single Edit with cheesy guitar riff, fade-out and all.
    • As big a Tori fan as I am, I've always had trouble connecting with/understanding other fans I've met at various Tori shows throughout the years. "The regulars" leave a bad taste in my mouth.
    tuna rubber a little blubber in my igloo

• I don't like never liked Yes, Anastacia.
    • Including the last three releases, I haven't listened to a Tori Amos album in years.
    • The last Tori Amos album I bought was The Beekeeper, and at some point my sister took it and when she tried to return it, I refused to take it back.

I think Dragon and Indian Summer are pure wank.
    I adore Jamaica Inn.
    The performance of Little Earthquakes from 1997 RAINN still makes me cringe. And this is my favorite Tori song ever.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    • Last Tori album I bought was ADP and I've no idea where it is, nor do I care.

• Last Tori song I fell in love with is Marys of the Sea.

• Never could make it all the way through many songs on AAtS.

• I adore The Happy Worker!

america last
    I only really like two of her albums.

I'm a creep I'm a weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by menju56 View Post
    • I think Mac Aladdin's guitar work on Scarlet's Walk is actually quite good.
    Me, too. I was listening to both this album and TBK not too long ago and noticed that. I think if he just stuck to acoustic, it'd be alright.

Quote Originally Posted by rattlesnakes View Post
    Confession: Looking at Tori's 2012 face, I don't find her 2005 face bizarre anymore.
    , so true. I can look at TBK era photos and almost think she didn't have anything done at that point.

Mine:
    • I enjoy American Doll Posse much more than Scarlet's Walk (in fact ADP is my favorite post-SLG record). I know the songwriting is better on the latter, but the production just makes it a snoozefest for me to listen to. ADP certainly has it's drawbacks, but the good songs are pretty good and the whole thing has some energy.
    • I think the songs on Scarlet's Hidden Treasures are better than 2/3 of what's on Scarlet's Walk.

They'll eat your baby cat! Peter Z's Avatar
    I have listened to many, many Tori bootlegs more than I have AAtS, in terms of total plays. Ones I can count at the ready? Kissimmee FL 2001, Eugene, OR 1998, San Diego, CA 1998, Boulder, CO 1996, Oakland N2 2001.... etc.

I connected with AATS a lot on the tour, but haven't played it in full since 2009.