Page 94 of 95 FirstFirst ... 448492939495 LastLast
Results 1,396 to 1,410 of 1414

Thread: Tori Amos Confessions: Unforumzed Edition

I'm bumping this a bit with a shameless confession: I love the Power of Orange Knickers. I mean, Damien Rice could totally not be in the song and no one would notice, but I love the lyrics and I find it oddly heartbreaking. "Those girls that smile kindly, then rip your life to pieces" always gets me.
    "A universe that needed someone to observe it in order to collapse it into existence would be a pretty sorry universe indeed."

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    "This little pill in my hand... that keeps the pain living"

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    No need for shame. I quite like The Power of Orange Knickers.

This User Is Really Gay jasonhicks's Avatar
    I'm only just admitting this to myself but my god the quality of her voice on NI is whack. I know she's getting older but her vocal decline from 2014 is worrisome. I love Tori's voice but in recent interviews it is ALL vocal fry. Although I didn't personally connect to many of the songs on UG even though I love it, I feel there was a nuanced vocal delivery on that album that is not present on NI. I wish she would stop with high notes and not strain herself. She sounds fucking fantastic when singing low on songs like New Age. I want to hear more of that.

Chocolate song is also in my top 3 on native invader. I think it's an incredible and beautiful song.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonhicks View Post
    I'm only just admitting this to myself but my god the quality of her voice on NI is whack. I know she's getting older but her vocal decline from 2014 is worrisome. I love Tori's voice but in recent interviews it is ALL vocal fry. Although I didn't personally connect to many of the songs on UG even though I love it, I feel there was a nuanced vocal delivery on that album that is not present on NI. I wish she would stop with high notes and not strain herself. She sounds fucking fantastic when singing low on songs like New Age. I want to hear more of that.
    Exactly this. I can even forgive the album, but the tour Was horrific at times. Even in 2015 while not consistently impressive as 2014, her vocal power was there every show. (From what i can tell from recordings) But last tour she *sometimes* sounded like she desperately needed a drink.

Confession: While I think Native Invader is a greater album than Unrepentant Geraldines, I think 2014 was a much better year in terms of vocals, shows and I had higher hopes for the future since it felt like things were beginning to get back on track again. Honestly it feels like everything since 2011 seems like step in the right direction but that right direction and is never totally reached. There is always something that is holding back. But she is getting older and it is very hard to achieve the same artistic excellence of 1992-2002, it's just not fair to expect it. Native Invader comes very close and is a good Tori Amos album. It's just that I long for the times of listening to a song and album and being blown away and thinking ''How could she write this?'' and getting totally lost in it.. Now it seems like it takes more of an effort both on her part and in the listeners part and it shows in the music. There are exceptions of course; the whole structure and the melody of something like ''Bang'' showed me what I really missed in her music, the magical effortlessness of it all, even if it played in the background it would catch my attention and make me notice it..''Climb'' has that too. A genius melody that just sticks to you. That's what her best music used to do. Still I kind of want to hear how it would sound had she recorded it with the band in 2001. And no it's not her voice I'm talking about. It's just that I know almost for sure that she wouldn't use that guitar tone and the drums would be much more inventine. No matter how good songs like Broken Arrow, Bats, Wildwood are and I love them, it's not the same thing.

What I mean is that everything feels more low-key, more home-made, more demoish these days and while there's a charm to that I would love something grander. I still love most of the things she does and her last 2 records I would not want to live without, but I think you guys know what I mean. And what's making me more frustrated it as I age, I feel more connection to what she does in a songwriting sense. I mean years ago I would just fall for the fierceness of her songs but now I can appreciate and love something like Cloud Riders. But then I have to get on board with the demo quality, weird pops and clicks and and the fact that the drums are programmed to sound like real drums but you know they aren't. Anyway sorry for rambling.
    Last edited by berke; 10-11-2018 at 08:35 AM.

Threat level: Bitch in a wheelchair andy's Avatar
    I'm still sad we only have half of the legitimate best version of TPOOK.

Quote Originally Posted by andy View Post

I forgot how awesome that was.

Quote Originally Posted by andy View Post

I just screamed, "LADY ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME????" why wasn't this the album version. holy SHIT

Quote Originally Posted by jasonhicks View Post
    I just screamed, "LADY ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME????" why wasn't this the album version. holy SHIT
    Right?! It's the biggest disappointment when she just stops.

Y'all, this is the best version of Orange Knickers, no questions asked.

No video footage, but this is all I've got for YouTube links.
    'Tis better to bend with the wind than stand tall and be broken. Therein lies hope; therein lies freedom.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    God damn, I loved Parasol as an opener SO much. This is by far not the best version of it, but thanks for reminding me @Faust.

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Y'all, this is the best version of Orange Knickers, no questions asked.

No video footage, but this is all I've got for YouTube links.
    WOW....when she switched to piano, and especially around 29:10.... I was SHOOK

I'm going to get shot for this but other than CALS (and then really only for the part where she sings hurt) I think Sessions at West 54th is nothing special. I like PT from Venus better. I also don't care about the band version of Horses.