Page 2 of 99 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Tori Amos Confessions: Unforumzed Edition

Quote Originally Posted by G` View Post
    The performance of Little Earthquakes from 1997 RAINN still makes me cringe. And this is my favorite Tori song ever.
    ? why? of all the batshit performances from that show (and I love every single one of them), I am curious!

The first time I watched the Live From NY vhs(!!!!) it scared the crap out of me. If I hadn't just been to my first concert a month or so before, I don't think I'd ever have gone to see her. I'd have been too afraid all her shows were like that.

There's my other Tori Amos Confession: I truly believe that the Live from NY concert is one of the most remarkable and brave pieces of performance art I have EVER seen.

After the first time of listening to Boys for Pele (on cassette, mind you!), I was pretty much petrified of listening to it again. The rawness of it had me packing it away in closet for several months where it collected dust. It wasn't until after Choirgirl's release and listening to bootlegs, that I was able to delve into Pele and appreciate the record.

ice cream and pizza Father Lucifer's Avatar
    I've always enjoyed 500 miles, I love the lyric about his body being like a sculpture but not sure what the bread reference is about??? Does she literally walk to the bakery for Mark or is it some Magdalene inspired lyric?

These days, I listen to other artists more than I listen to Tori but she will always be my no 1 artist.

I dislike Pancake immensely!

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by toriMODE View Post
    After the first time of listening to Boys for Pele (on cassette, mind you!), I was pretty much petrified of listening to it again. The rawness of it had me packing it away in closet for several months where it collected dust. It wasn't until after Choirgirl's release and listening to bootlegs, that I was able to delve into Pele and appreciate the record.
    Oh, I HATED HATED Pele the first few times I listened to it. I loved LE and UtP so much and then when I heard Blood Roses & Professional Widow I thought "who the fuck is this woman?"

I'm a creep I'm a weirdo
    Oh, that's another one. I really like 500 Miles, too. It's probably in my top 5 from that album (along with Welcome to England, Curtain Call, AATS and Fast Horse). I always thought the interp that the song was about sex wasn't right. I think "break it on the bus" refers to the bread, especially since it talks about waking him as the dawn does. I take the whole song to be about a relationship surviving on the road and the little things they do for each other to keep the flame going. Also, I love the brake/break wordplay (and even break as just break or clean break).

Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    ? why? of all the batshit performances from that show (and I love every single one of them), I am curious!
    I think it's just an exceptionally poor performance. Like, worse than TBK tour quality. It has no pacing, it's sluggish, and Caton's guitar is just really abrasive. The latter is I think the VHS audio's mixing's fault, but I have tried to understand and appreciate the performance but just can't. Conversely, I love the rest of the show in its entirety as being one of her bravest and most defining live moments.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G` View Post
    Conversely, I love the rest of the show in its entirety as being one of her bravest and most defining live moments.
    Her performance of Precious Things from that show is one of the most uncomfortable, most compelling, and definitely most unforgettable of all her renditions of that song.

Quote Originally Posted by Kala View Post
    Oh, I HATED HATED Pele the first few times I listened to it. I loved LE and UtP so much and then when I heard Blood Roses & Professional Widow I thought "who the fuck is this woman?"
    Pele was my first Tori album and I didn't know what to make of it. In some ways it scared me but I would always go back to it. At the time it was released I was dealing with an unplanned pregnancy (and later adoption) and I think the pain and anger so present in her voice was what drew me back. It was a way to channel feelings I didn't feel I had a right to have.

I recently sat down with it from start to finish and I got more out of it than I ever have. I've always liked the album (after some initial trepidation) but suddenly I feel more connected to it. *shrug*

these days just seem to crush me
    -i love cars & guitars, and secret spell
    -yes anastasia was always a bit boring to me
    -black dove is the worst song from FTCH (though it's not bad, just incredibly over-rated)
    -seeing some pics of tori in the past have actually have made me scream out loud because of her plastic surgery
    -i'm somewhat embarrassed to tell people i'm a tori fan
    -i couldn't even name most the tracks on adp or aats

Quote Originally Posted by Kala View Post
    Her performance of Precious Things from that show is one of the most uncomfortable, most compelling, and definitely most unforgettable of all her renditions of that song.
    Agreed. That show as a whole is so powerful- PT is just the climax of it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessy View Post
    -yes anastasia was always a bit boring to me
    I totally agree.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    - I also love Cars and Guitars and Secret Spell.
    - I love the DVD extras interview to both TBK and MWG's.
    - I once told a friend and fellow fan that the leaked unreleased songs from "A Piano" (on my flashdrive that I uploaded to her pc) Not David Bowie, Walk to Dublin, etc were from a new studio album, so... said friend would think them extra special, when all along I knew they were from the box set.
    - I think the Sweet the Sting video is very cool.
    - I think the CALS video is horrible.
    - I prefer the Dakota Version of "Hey Jupiter"
    - I've never seen Tori live and cherish Welcome to Sunny Florida
    - I've never liked anything about the song "God" including chords, whatever.
    - Goodbye Pisces has some of my favorite lyrics and melodies.
    - I only listen to one song off AATS "500 Miles" and have only seen 4 visualettes.. which is why I never make comments about them. Before my obsession with 500 Miles.. Flavor was the only other song I liked.
    - I almost always have had the wrong interpretation of a song.. until I found this forum and we did songs of the week..
    - My fav picture of Tori is from the cover of Strange Little Girls when she is wearing the light brown wig. I think she is one of the most beautiful woman on the planet in that picture.
    - I love when she categorized songs.. the Dolls, The Gardens, Dewey Decimal System.
    "Washing Machiiiiiine" - Kate Bush

Everytime when I need some lols, I go to YT and watch this one. Worst song ever, by anyone. And the performance, THAT dress and the wig. Oh god Tori, don't you even look at yourself before you walk on stage?...HORRID! (I have posted it some time ago in the AATS listening-party thread, but it's always good for a laugh. YOU RAPE EARTH KNOWLEDGE!!!)