Page 3 of 90 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Tori Amos Confessions: Unforumzed Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    There's my other Tori Amos Confession: I truly believe that the Live from NY concert is one of the most remarkable and brave pieces of performance art I have EVER seen.
    I find it difficult to watch. The first time I saw it I was really impressed and watched it over and over until I realised how much pain she must have been going through that evening - given that it was only a month or so after her first miscarriage.

My confessions:

- I hated Pele when I first heard it
    - I love Cars and Guitars and 500 Miles
    - I think Ireland and Strong Black Vine are the worst songs ever. By anyone.
    - I cringed the entire time through the Glasgow 2009 show. I'd taken my friend as a birthday gift and wanted to apologise to him afterwards (We both loved the 2011 show.)
    - I nearly didn't go to NoH shows after the abomination that was the Metropole Orchestra show
    - I'm terrified she may not pull the Orchestra shows off

Banned
    - I don't get the fuss over Smokey Joe
    - I too quite like Secret Spell and Happy Worker
    - I think Mark Hawley is a rather attractive man, present-day included
    - I find the 2007 "Pip" performance of Me and a Gun to be really, really cringey
    - I sincerely believe that the whole "dolls" concept of ADP was simply a creative way for Tori to introduce her use of wigs (which is fine)
    - There are Tori interviews from the 90's that I almost literally know by heart because I listened to them so much as a teen
    - I also really like WTSF and don't understand at all why Tori's appearance was an issue for people in it
    - I really like (most of) the shower curtains
    - I have almost always found Tori's live singing voice/unusual pronunciations to be annoying, sort of undisciplined, very hit-or-miss

I'm pretty sure he said "Killdren". Stone's Avatar
    - For a long time, I considered Scarlet's Walk to be a great album, but now I realize that was only because it was her last decent album. I don't think I've listened to it in at least 3 years.
    - I find most of the very-early-Tori persona (1991-1992) insufferable. Although, truth be told, I've always found her public persona to be contrived for the most part - and I feel it has just exacerbated with age.
    - I don't think I've ever watched the LE VHS. :P
    - Although initial the perception I had of AATS as a "decent attempt" has worn off dramatically, I still consider Starling and Fast Horse to be among her best songs.
    - I might become a little blue at the realization that she might never release an amazing album from start to finish.
    - I'm judging the hell out of y'all who claim to love Secret Spell!

- Like Menju, I think Mac's guitar work on Scarlet's Walk (particularly I Can't See New York) is good.
    - Little Earthquakes (the song) has never been something I liked, and the majority of live performances are insufferable
    - There was a moment when AATS had just come out and I was super-depressed, and the "so let's be strong, you and me..." bit of Maybe California almost made me cry walking down the street.
    -Cooling was better live without the Brambles verse. Tori always seems to handle the transition awkwardly
    - I wish Beauty Queen was not on Pele. I understand why it's there, but it's such an unnecessarily off-putting beginning.
    - I have always re-sequenced Tori's albums to include b-sides aside from Pele
    - Most of TBK has been redeemed for me in the last few years due to live performances. (Ribbons from Zurich 2010, Jamaica Inn in 2009, etc.)
    - I would've much rather had pop!Tori along the lines of Liz Phair/Jewel than the adult-contemporary/faux rock Fori we got from 05-09.
    - Cruel is the only bad part of Choirgirl. The album would be much better without it. (Live, it's always amazing though)

Hurt people hurt people too toriMODE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JHV View Post
    - Cruel is the only bad part of Choirgirl. The album would be much better without it. (Live, it's always amazing though)
    Shut your mouth! lol
    Cruel is my favorite Tori song! What do you not like about the studio incarnation?

Speaking badger, fawn, rabbit RecoveringXian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by toriMODE View Post
    Shut your mouth!
    I'm spinning it tight down south.

• I quite like TBK and will sometimes listen to it in its entirety.
    • Although I never listen to AATS, I still think "Welcome to England" is a pretty song and I usually include it in mixes.
    • I still haven't listened to all of NOH. I tried to once, but got bored and stopped.
    • New Age is one of my favorite Tori performances ever, even though she didn't write it.
    • I HATE PURPLE PEOPLE.
    • WTSF is perfection to me.

I hope one day Tori releases a Director's Cut of the visualettes.

Quote Originally Posted by toriMODE View Post
    Shut your mouth! lol
    Cruel is my favorite Tori song! What do you not like about the studio incarnation?
    Tori's vocals are too subdued, and I don't like the lack of piano. The "ahhh ah ahh" bridge is excessively long and bores me. The album version feels like a slight song propped up by the rest of the band fucking around with effects in the studio, and thus it pales in comparison to the rest of Choirgirl.

I don't think Honey should have been on UTP. It really doesn't fit in with the rest of the songs. Also, the album is perfect as it is.

I wish she'd stop the switching between piano and keyboard thing during the same song, first it's getting old, second not every song benefits from it.

I liked reading Piece By Piece.

- I think the BKP, ADP, and AATS are not as bad as people make them out to be. I think people are just reacting more to T's change of image.
    - I have never watched all the visualettes and NEVER will
    - After years of attacking it online, I now quite enjoy the ProWidow remix. Great song to drive to. Prob the 07 tour made me like it
    - Looking back, I think T looked good in 2005 (but not as good as her prior natural self)....probably had another surgery after 2005
    - I really enjoy 500 Miles...much more than Cornflake Girl or Silent All These Years
    Last edited by jimthecello2; 07-25-2012 at 05:12 PM.

Now only 98% Sparkle
    For both ADP (Code Red) and AATS (the title track), the song that lots of people seemed to rave about when the album came out was the song I liked the least.

I also didn't fall wildly in love with Winter's Carol or Star Whisperer, which seemed to be very popular for their respective albums.

EDIT: And AATS live in Berlin was not a highlight, either. It was rushed.
    Post Mark ergo propter Mark

^I had no idea she did AATS live!

I have a few fairy winger confessions:

-I unabashedly love ADP. It's not only one of my favorite Tori albums, it's probably in my top ten by anyone. I've listened to it more than her older stuff in the last few years.
    -I've read PBP at least five times.
    -Tori Amos fans are (to me) more embarrassing than she is (some present company excluded).

Quote Originally Posted by Cunter Fartlett View Post
    -Tori Amos fans are (to me) more embarrassing than she is (some present company excluded).
    Yes.
    ----------------

-I think TBK is superior to ADP (although it includes a few songs that should definitely have been B-sides).

- I actually listen to TBK in its entirety more than Under the Pink in entirety
    - I don't hate Ribbons Undone or Ireland that much. The one I really can't stand for one fucking second is Mary Jane
    - Although I quite like NoH, I don't have much anticipation on the forth-coming album
    - I wish Tori will let herself to truly age gracefully instead of insisting being a MILF with botox and wigs
    - I haven't listened to Tori much for a year. I have been listening to Joni Mitchell