Page 90 of 93 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192 ... LastLast
Results 1,336 to 1,350 of 1395

Thread: Tori Amos Confessions: Unforumzed Edition

thirst world problems Octopussy's Avatar
    I think the sonic novel came after everything else was finished. Because as a literal timeline of events, it's ridiculous. Like please Tori don't make me think too much about how much this trip is going to cost, I have enough financial anxiety as it is, and Scarlet is apparently one of the richest women in America to afford all that gas for her car and taxi services and plane rides and walking down dirt roads in fancy fashion. Also the thing about Scarlet being "a woman, a thread, a drop of blood"... she gave us way too much to read into. It was boggling at the time because I was trying to appreciate it as something more cerebral like BFP, but then we have maps and online journals and Scarlet Stories with character development as if this were an actual thing that happened. #TOOMUCH

I actually watched that entire Beekeeper gardens video and I have to say that it makes a lot more sense to me at 35 than it did at 23.

Um... The concept was all over SLG. Tori made up as a Neil Gaiman-written characters from the songs, with props? That is on par with ADP as Tori's most literal portrayal of the concept in her album art and promotion.

I never tried to actually follow the story of SW in detail, but I still think it's a successful concept album. It feels like a road trip, coming from a specific voice and point of view. I don't think the logistics of Scarlet's travel itinerary and funding matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    Um... The concept was all over SLG. Tori made up as a Neil Gaiman-written characters from the songs, with props? That is on par with ADP as Tori's most literal portrayal of the concept in her album art and promotion.

I never tried to actually follow the story of SW in detail, but I still think it's a successful concept album. It feels like a road trip, coming from a specific voice and point of view. I don't think the logistics of Scarlet's travel itinerary and funding matters.
    I think you make a great point here, and you bring up something I hadn't really considered. You are spot-on that regardless of anything, SW has a roadtrip vibe to it. Fantastic observation.
    Even so, it seems we both agree that some of the conceptual "mumbo jumbo" is a wee bit excessive.
    Setting aside the matter of the heinous ADP concept, I don't find SLG that offensive. In an album that deals with what men say and how women hear it, it makes total sense (to me, at least) that Tori would try to "de-personalize" SLG through the little dress-up game. I find this especially true because the SLG concept is loose / malleable enough that the listener doesn't necessarily have to struggle to connect a song with a route and a location. Maybe I'm mistaken (I haven't done enough research about SLG) but it seems to me that the SLG "concept" was really just a matter of cover art. And on that note, I also find the imagery used to be rather evocative. The concept, in that case, seems to open the album to a multiplicity of views / interpretations / understandings, whereas I feel that the SW concept restricts the listener's freedom of interpretation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I actually watched that entire Beekeeper gardens video and I have to say that it makes a lot more sense to me at 35 than it did at 23.
    So much yes, granted I'm still a youngen. To my mind, the whole "Virgin mother" / "Magdalene" dichotomy really seems like a way of discussing the challenge of keeping the "spark" alive in long-term relationships.

ETA: I just read Gaiman's SLG writings for the first time in a great number of years. I'm totally floored. Who wants to help me build a monument in honor of this album?!
    Last edited by kykeon; 09-21-2017 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post

IDK man, I'm an analytical person and when I have a foldout map in front of me with travel itinerary and journals, I'm gonna start thinking logistics. Like she says Taxi Ride is literally about a taxi ride from Chicago to New Orleans. That's what the song is about. CHA-CHING?!? So I really don't think that I'm overthinking by looking at all the conceptual material provided by Tori herself. I'm not saying it affects my enjoyment of the album, but... it's extra.

I would've appreciated more of a loose travelogue. Do Strange and Wednesday really have to take place anywhere specific? I don't think so.
    Last edited by Octopussy; 09-21-2017 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Octopussy View Post
    I think the sonic novel came after everything else was finished. Because as a literal timeline of events, it's ridiculous. Like please Tori don't make me think too much about how much this trip is going to cost, I have enough financial anxiety as it is, and Scarlet is apparently one of the richest women in America to afford all that gas for her car and taxi services and plane rides and walking down dirt roads in fancy fashion. Also the thing about Scarlet being "a woman, a thread, a drop of blood"... she gave us way too much to read into. It was boggling at the time because I was trying to appreciate it as something more cerebral like BFP, but then we have maps and online journals and Scarlet Stories with character development as if this were an actual thing that happened. #TOOMUCH
    Thank god I'm not the only one who worries about this.
    -time moves both ways-

Right???? When the information is presented, of course I'm going to think about it.

ETA: also the reason I don't like NOH that much. There's a reason she didn't write The Light Princess all by herself! Linear storytelling is not her thing. That's one reason why Pele is the undisputed(?) masterwork -- there's a story, but she never explains it like "this is when I flew from Ireland to New Orleans" or whatever.
    Last edited by Octopussy; 09-21-2017 at 08:30 PM.

Threat level: Bitch in a wheelchair andy's Avatar
    Y'all hos are literal as fuck. You know the road trip never ACTUALLY happened right? Scarlet is, like, the blood of the land bitch, taken human form to view herself through a human lens. She ain't using Lyft or payin' for no taxi cabs, she just has the jinn from American Gods drive her about and shit. It's like none of y'all ever read The Sandman. Y'all need a little suspension of disbelief in your life.

Threat level: Bitch in a wheelchair andy's Avatar
    Obviously I'm kidding around but I never hear anyone be like "David Bowie, what a whack job - stop pretending you're from Mars and that there are spiders up there - WE ALL KNOW YOU'RE FROM FUCKING CROYDON!"

^ suspension of disbelief is easier for "rock star from outer space" than "road trip across post-9/11 America"

Anyway I adore Scarlet's Walk, and I do, in fact, ignore all the extra stuff when I listen to it. It's not difficult, especially after rearranging the track order a bit -- I found that to be essential. (Wampum Prayer/Scarlet's Walk is like Beauty Queen/Horses for this album) Plus my two faves are probably Tombigbee and Mountain so I always have to squeeze them in.
    Last edited by Octopussy; 09-21-2017 at 09:50 PM.

I’ve always felt that every one of her albums is a “concept album” so the newer ones don’t phase me. Wasn’t LE a “diary,” UtP an “impressionist painting about how women treat each other,” BfP a “novel,” FtCH a “hotel where all the ‘girls’ are hanging out with each other,” etc?
    *quotes my own

I have just always found it weird when SLG or SW has been cited as her first concept album when I thought they all were, this whole time.

I think Pele, although a good album is overrated by most people. I mean Blood Roses, Professional Widow or CALS are perfect, but some are just not my thing. (Twinkle, Not The Red Baron or Agent Orange)

Quote Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post
    I’ve always felt that every one of her albums is a “concept album” so the newer ones don’t phase me. Wasn’t LE a “diary,” UtP an “impressionist painting about how women treat each other,” BfP a “novel,” FtCH a “hotel where all the ‘girls’ are hanging out with each other,” etc?
    *quotes my own

I have just always found it weird when SLG or SW has been cited as her first concept album when I thought they all were, this whole time.
    Sometimes, I think having a theme for an album and actually being a concept album is slight different, so I would also consider SLG being her first concept album. But no matter theme-wise or concept-wise, TBK, at least to me, has a theme which makes more sense and being more "presonal" than some other albums. I truly regard TBK as an album narrating her points of view related to the start of her mid-life crisis. We all know how the subsequent albums were, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by iwo1333 View Post
    I think Pele, although a good album is overrated by most people.
    ~just an underwater thing~

Quote Originally Posted by Zell View Post
    Sometimes, I think having a theme for an album and actually being a concept album is slight different, so I would also consider SLG being her first concept album. But no matter theme-wise or concept-wise, TBK, at least to me, has a theme which makes more sense and being more "presonal" than some other albums. I truly regard TBK as an album narrating her points of view related to the start of her mid-life crisis. We all know how the subsequent albums were, huh?
    Agree!! Every album has a theme, a concept is more involved. SW works better as a theme album to me. TBK too. ADP is a concept, and NOH obviously, and I guess that's it.