Page 93 of 93 FirstFirst ... 4383919293
Results 1,381 to 1,395 of 1395

Thread: Tori Amos Confessions: Unforumzed Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    Are you serious?
    Probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    Probably.
    Well, I wouldn't go so far as to call it a masterpiece, but I really do enjoy the song.
    I just like to trigger all of you from time to time

thirst world problems Octopussy's Avatar
    FAT SLUTS
    Talkin' bout the SAD SLUTS

ok these are my confessions that I feel compelled to share:

I don't like Scarlet's Walk. Many seem to consider it her last "good" album before the atrocities of the mid-late 2000s, but for me it is the start of the downfall. I realized this about myself just recently, that I really don't like that album except for maybe 3 songs, and now that it's almost 15 years later I no longer feel guilty or mad at myself about it. The lyrics are mostly good, but that musical style and the "Scarletization" of everything is just not for me. I hate Taxi Ride. Don't Make Me Come To Vegas is unlistenable. Every time I listen to this album, which is very rarely, I skip through almost every song.

I think I had a crisis of faith in the 2000s because I realized that if any other artist were putting out that material (Scarlet - AATS), I wouldn't give it the time of day. Because it was Tori, I spent a good deal of time listening to it and convincing myself that I liked it... and for what? I think being a Tori fan was such a huge part of my identity in high school that I just couldn't deal with an adult version of myself that didn't like her. I felt I had spent so much of my time and energy devoted to random Tori things and then all of a sudden I was too embarrassed to bother / I just couldn't listen to songs like "Big Wheel".

I didn't buy AATS, Midwinter Graces, and I still haven't heard Gold Dust. I liked Unrepentant Geraldines a lot (the only songs I don't like are the ones that sound like they could be on Scarlet's Walk), and I am really feeling excited about Native Invaders. I've listened to all of the songs but haven't purchased the album yet, but I'm GOING to, which is saying something.

Anyway I feel comfortable with this now that she's putting out work I actually like. Somehow I am comforted by knowing that yes, I still like Tori Amos. That part of my life and myself hasn't disappeared. That somehow means something to me. And it's ok that I didn't really like her work for 10 years.

/therapy session

these days just seem to crush me
    i also don't love scarlet's walk either. Taxi Ride, Gold Dust, strange & a sorta fairytale, are the only songs i'd listen to if i ever felt the urge to listen to the album.
    Last edited by Jessy; 09-30-2017 at 08:21 PM.

Sometimes the Confessions thread hurts my heart; I Can't See New York was playing when I came into the thread tonight

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by daphne View Post
    yes, I still like Tori Amos.
    I am really in love with her again right now. I genuinely enjoy and respect what she has created with this album, I feel real emotional resonance with the songs, I can really relate to where her head seems to be at, it's come about at the right time, and she's been giving all these great interviews lately. It's a nice feeling to be back in this Team Tori headspace.

Quote Originally Posted by grapefruit_is_winning View Post
    I am really in love with her again right now. I genuinely enjoy and respect what she has created with this album, I feel real emotional resonance with the songs, I can really relate to where her head seems to be at, it's come about at the right time, and she's been giving all these great interviews lately. It's a nice feeling to be back in this Team Tori headspace.
    Me too. I think I was feeling kind of a disconnect with her until NI and now I'm feeling kinda like I did when I was a teenager and barely listened to anything but her. It's nice.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nateb View Post
    I think I was feeling kind of a disconnect with her until NI

Oh, I felt completely disconnected from her for YEARS. I was a really big fan even after The Beekeeper was released (that album is very hit or miss for me.) But then ADP came out and I was like what??? Too many songs shoehorned into what may have been a pretty decent record if the production was better and the number of songs cut in half. There are some good songs: Almost Rosey, Father's Son, and Beauty of Speed come to mind. But Big Wheel is an embarrassment. The screeching vocals on Dark Side of the Sun are truly awful. And although they are interludes, Yo George (weakest album opener of any Tori record) and Fat Slut are terrible songs. The doll concept felt forced - I hated the "Tori" cheeto wig and jumpsuit. And don't get me started on the doll blogs. Then Abnormally Attracted to Sin came along and I was horrified when I heard songs like Strong Black Vine, Police Me, and Not Dying Today - not just sonically but lyrically as well. I couldn't believe they were penned by the same woman who wrote Hey Jupiter. And those visualettes - just NO.
    I didn't buy into the narrative of Night of Hunters so I didn't listen too much to that album. Also, Tash is fine on a record but four songs is too much. I completely ignored the waste of time that is Gold Dust. When Unrepentant Geraldines came out I was like meh - a lot of that record is pretty forgettable. I really had zero expectations for Native Invader. And I am over the moon at just how fantastic it is. Best album since Scarlet IMO! I'm happy to be a fan again and welcome back Tori Amos - it's been a long, long climb.

I LOVE Fat Slut.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iwo1333 View Post
    How can you not consider Fat Slut a masterpiece?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I LOVE Fat Slut.
    You should hang out with iwo1333. They love ADP.

"Fat Slut" sounds exactly like this to me:

my log has something to tell you NightHunter's Avatar
    confessions: I don't really listen to albums proper, I usually just listen to bootlegs

I can definitely dig Fat Slut

the album Devils and Gods is precious. It's refreshing and sobering at the very same time

I like that Tori has struck out and tried different kinds of styles and music in her career. I like that she takes risks. That not everything lands really well kind of goes without saying

Strange and Crazy are so sedate I sometimes can't imagine they're written by Tori

I think Native Invader is her best album in years. But that doesn't mean I stopped being a fan in 2004.

There is plenty of great music on TBK, ADP, AATS.... in fact most of those albums are great. Not sure how that's controversial......
    Last edited by NightHunter; 11-18-2017 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NightHunter View Post
    I like that Tori has struck out and tried different kinds of styles and music in her career. I like that she takes risks. That not everything lands really well kind of goes without saying
    Totally agree! I don’t need her to be my personal jukebox that’s programmed to my taste all the time. I’m more interested in following along on her musical journey. As you said, not everything’s gonna be successful, and that’s ok. It’s more admirable that she’s versatile.