Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Mariah Carey

Quote Originally Posted by Volta View Post
    ^This song is just everything Mariah should not be, not be doing now, today, in 2018. For a long time in the MTF when people would describe Tori's "babyvoice" I just couldn't hear it. I don't think I was in denial, I really wasn't hearing it until AATS.
    If we compared that situation with this one.. I'm the one talking about Mariah's version of that "babyvoice." I think for me, Mariah at her worst (well for me Mariah wasn't even at her worse until the Elusive Chanteuse era) put out songs you could sing along with, that you wanted to sing along with. I think about a song like "My All" that almost no one but Mariah could sing because so much of it was at a register so high... you could still kind of sing to it and luxuriate in that vocal.
    I don't want to sing along to this song. I don't find even a part of it pleasant to the ear. I think it's a song that is begging to be made fun of and parodied and rightfully so.
    Just my 2 cent piece.

Back to Tori.. when I heard the first songs from Native Invader.. it was like.. exactly what a Tori Amos popular album should be right now. It felt refreshing. It felt like it honored all the things that made me a fan while moving into a new space where young fans and fans from the beginning could be happy. And Mariah could easily be doing that. She's as good a songwriter in her field as Tori is in hers.. And maybe she will elevate and evolve. She just hasn't yet, for me.
    It feels like she is trying to prove a point more than making great music. She's trying to go toe to toe with Ariana. And it's coming off more like a really, really bad Tamar Braxton impression.
    This new album or spotify cycle for Mariah feels like it's going to be a much more elusive chanteuse than a return to everything that was great, regal about MiMi.
    The More Elusive, Elusive Chanteuse or TM-EEC.
    I honestly think it’s projection to say she’s trying to go toe to toe with Ariana. Why should she stop making the music she’s been making since before Ariana was around? Because of her age? I don’t believe in that. Mariah is a legend when it comes to pop/R&B and the crossover of hip-hop/R&B, and she should keep making and releasing music as long as she feels inspired to do so.

And I think Me. I Am Mariah has some great songs on it, especially Beautiful, You Don’t Know What to Do, and Faded. So we probably just won’t ever agree here.

It’s just really not that serious. She said it herself: “I wanted to give my fans and everyone a first listen that wasn’t so serious. I’ve had so much fun making this album, and I wanted the first moment to reflect that light-hearted spirit,” she explained.
    Last edited by MikeEP; 09-25-2018 at 01:03 AM.

You know what the difference between Mariah Carey and Ariana Grande?

Mariah has made enjoyable, memorable songs.

I'm sort of kidding, though... Maybe if I listened to Ariana a lot more I would eventually be able to recognize her voice when it comes on.

Anyway, I'm not a big Mariah Carey fan either, but GTFO is the first song by her I have liked since Bringin' On the Heartbreak. It's really good! I heard it once, didn't think much of it, and then a day later I found myself singing it over and over while I was shopping for groceries! It just won't leave my head!

I love Ariana. The idea that there’s not room for both of them to be making music is what bugs me.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEP View Post
    I love Ariana. The idea that there’s not room for both of them to be making music is what bugs me.
    Yes, this!

^This song is just everything Mariah should not be, not be doing now, today, in 2018. For a long time in the MTF when people would describe Tori's "babyvoice" I just couldn't hear it. I don't think I was in denial, I really wasn't hearing it until AATS.
    If we compared that situation with this one.. I'm the one talking about Mariah's version of that "babyvoice." I think for me, Mariah at her worst (well for me Mariah wasn't even at her worse until the Elusive Chanteuse era) put out songs you could sing along with, that you wanted to sing along with. I think about a song like "My All" that almost no one but Mariah could sing because so much of it was at a register so high... you could still kind of sing to it and luxuriate in that vocal.
    I don't want to sing along to this song. I don't find even a part of it pleasant to the ear. I think it's a song that is begging to be made fun of and parodied and rightfully so.
    Just my 2 cent piece.

Back to Tori.. when I heard the first songs from Native Invader.. it was like.. exactly what a Tori Amos popular album should be right now. It felt refreshing. It felt like it honored all the things that made me a fan while moving into a new space where young fans and fans from the beginning could be happy. And Mariah could easily be doing that. She's as good a songwriter in her field as Tori is in hers.. And maybe she will elevate and evolve. She just hasn't yet, for me.
    It feels like she is trying to prove a point more than making great music. She's trying to go toe to toe with Ariana. And it's coming off more like a really, really bad Tamar Braxton impression.
    This new album or spotify cycle for Mariah feels like it's going to be a much more elusive chanteuse than a return to everything that was great, regal about MiMi.
    The More Elusive, Elusive Chanteuse or TM-EEC.

Miles Jai remix is everything to me right now.
    When he starts to list all the reasons why people "clock" MC. Well, that's my reply to you.
    Also, I love Mariah. If she performs this song live, please put links to it. Since she is saying this isn't a single.. it's probably not going to happen.
    I feel like Mariah surrounds herself more than ever with "yes" people. But heck, if this is what is making her happy. If she is what she feels called to do. God Bless her.
    Wow. I think you're more obsessed with this song than any Mariah fan is. Get a grip mate.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    ^Ok.
    It is kind of a Mariah Carey thread but advice taken. And I am definitely a hardcore/obsessive Mariah Carey fan.
    Last edited by Volta; 09-26-2018 at 10:59 PM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Quote Originally Posted by Alamo View Post

That was a great medley! Emotions, Honey, Shake it Off. Around Obsessed into GTFO I think it was a bit rough. I love the lady's facial expression at 12:57.
    GTFO even performed with a track... ahhhhh. Why you all are crazy about this song? Oh well.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEP View Post
    I don't feel it's one or the other at all. Ariana's success is getting under Mariah's skin something awful. I actually think they're very, very different vocalists and singers. Of course when you have Araiana covering her it makes things muddy for folks. It's just now everyone says Ariana is the "new Mariah." And Mariah Carey is better by miles. Mariah is also the most underrated songwriter out there. She's brilliant and no one, almost no one ever gives her credit.

A song like GTFO isn't even Mariah's style, tho. It feels like something Ariana would sing. TO ME.
    Regardless it just doesn't work for me. It works for everyone else on here, tho, and it is what it is.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

I don't feel it's one or the other at all. Ariana's success is getting under Mariah's skin something awful.
    @Volta, this is my point...you don’t see how this is totally projection on your part? What are you basing this on? How do you have any idea what Mariah thinks about Ariana or her success?

Projection!??! It's one of the most popular feuds going back years. Just go to youtube and type their names together and you'll get a ton of fan-created memes/videos of Mariah making fun of Ariana's high notes. Yes, those are fan made and based on Mariah being a "diva" or dissing Ariana on the Breakfast Club or WWHL w/Andy Cohen.
    Yes a lot of it is fan made.. but that's THE POINT. And this is a thread certainly where Mariah fans post.

Buzzfeed
    Ariana: feud is over - but Mariah loves a grudge.
    Mariah still doesn't know Ariana

This isn't new news. But I guess all of the memes are just projection? It was pretty much all you heard when the dissing began on the Breakfast Club, V-103 Wanda and Frank in the morning, The Queens Court with Khia ThugMisses and TS. Madison, as well as Wendy Williams. This is hot topics stuff from 2014. Stuff that gets rehashed a lot .. particularly when Mariah releases something. And Mariah will be fielding the Ariana comparisons with her new album/spotify campaign.
    Last edited by Volta; 09-27-2018 at 01:41 AM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Yes @Volta, memes and celebrity gossip are projection. This particular imaginary “feud” is based on pitting two successful women against each other with some ageism thrown in. I don’t know about anyone else but i’d prefer talking about Mariah’s music in here, which has nothing to do with Ariana. There’s a Celebrity Gossip thread for that shit.

I'm a sensible girl GirlForPele's Avatar
    Mariah is killing it so far. I absolutely love GTFO and With You.
    When pianos try to be guitars...out of my black and white world