Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Mariah Carey

Last edited by yoshi; 04-15-2015 at 12:53 PM.

I don't know much except for her singles either, but here's my list in no particular order bar the first two:

My All
    All I Want For Christmas Is You (duh)
    Hero
    I'll Be There
    Fantasy
    Always Be My Baby
    Honey
    We Belong Together
    Shake It Off
    Obsessed

[ validated ]
    My favorites in no particular order:

My All
    Whenever You Call
    I'll Be There
    Someday
    Hero
    All I Want For Christmas Is You
    O Holy Night (from the first Christmas album)
    Without You
    Dreamlover

I stand no chance of growing up Tulip In A Cup's Avatar
    I just think that Music Box really brings me back to being 11 when I bought the tape on my birthday and it was the 1st album of hers that I bought. I really need to go back and listen to all her albums straight through again. It has been many many years. I do agree Emotions is under rated. When I first got it, i really didnt like it and gave it to my mom but then took it back because I needed to give it more of a chance.

my Favs no particular order

Someday
    Vanishing
    Love takes time
    Cant let go
    Til the end of time
    So Blessed
    Music box
    Dreamlover
    Never Forget you
    When i saw you
    Always be my baby
    Forever
    I still believe
    Butterfly
    Breakdown
    Whenever you call

"So Blessed"! LOVE that song!
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

I noticed many of u haven't given post Butterfly a big chance

I have a soft spot for Mariah. She's ridiculous on so many levels, but she is certainly talented. Her voice has lost the sheer force it once had and some of its gorgeous, crystal-clear tone, but she still has a remarkable voice. Sometimes I find the "head voice" she overuses to be kind of annoying, though.

Some of her music is unbearably generic, Music Box being a good example. And some of her music lacks focus. That said, she's had a number of very strong songs and albums. I'm particularly fond of her debut, Butterfly, and E = MC2. I think E = MC2 is very underrated and actually prefer it to The Emancipation of Mimi, which is also good.

Favorite songs:

Vision of Love
    Vanishing
    I Don't Wanna Cry
    You're So Cold
    Without You
    Fantasy
    Breakdown
    The Roof
    I Feel It (unreleased, from the Emancipation era)
    Last Kiss

I prefer E=MC2 over Emancipation too

No Mariah fan here, but anyway, I stumbled across this fan reaction to a remix of the new song. Well, enjoy watching, it's sooo terrible

Here's the unreleased track I mentioned as one of my top 10 Mariah tunes ... "I Feel It":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HQOEFG0qWU

And here's some info about the song that I cut and pasted:

"I Feel It" was originally written and produced by Carey and Mahogany for the The Emancipation of Mimi album. The song was supposed to be released on all versions of The Emancipation of Mimi and was confirmed as a track from early reports of the album's tracklisting. However, only weeks before the album was to be released, the sample of The Dynamic Superiors' "Here Comes That Feeling" that was used in the song was denied clearance by the original songwriters. Carey and her record label pleaded to have the sample cleared, but were once again denied. As a result, the track was not legally allowed to be released and the track "Joy Ride" replaced it on the album. A very brief and rough cell phone recording of a snippet of "I Feel It" was leaked to the internet by fans of Carey in early 2005. The entire track leaked to the internet in July 2007 after a snippet was featured on Mahogany's official MySpace profile, but a controversy arose after fans complained that he had charged $1.99 for the song but failed to deliver it on time. In a recent interview with Rashmi Shastri Mahogany stated about "I Feel It" that 'it's so soulful you would want the whole album to be like that'.

I LOVE this song. If she delivered a whole album like this it'd probably be her best record.

HUGE Mariah fan here. The last couple of albums each took a while to grow on me, but Mimi and E=MC2 are pretty damn awesome and I prefer them to some of her older work (I agree with whoever said that Music Box is overrated). Favourite album as a whole is probably Butterfly, and I adore her first album too, warts and all (PRISONER!!! That rap is hilarious).

Memoirs is a fine album, but I never listen to it all the way through, it bores me. There's some standout tracks though. I especially love More Than Just Friends, the lyrics are fun! Hate U is awesome, but is marred by the terrible, TERRIBLE vocal editing in the bridge. Just syllable after syllable being pasted together there and it is so noticable. Ugh. She definitely lost the vocal power she posessed in the '90s, which is why, when performing live these days, she usually lips half of her songs, only singing the verses and mouths along with a tape when the vocals gets tougher. It's kinda sad, really. I still enjoy most of her studio work though.

The new single is alright, definitely too much rap though. But I have good hopes for the album.

Quote Originally Posted by sleeptheclock View Post
    Here's the unreleased track I mentioned as one of my top 10 Mariah tunes ... "I Feel It":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HQOEFG0qWU

And here's some info about the song that I cut and pasted:

"I Feel It" was originally written and produced by Carey and Mahogany for the The Emancipation of Mimi album. The song was supposed to be released on all versions of The Emancipation of Mimi and was confirmed as a track from early reports of the album's tracklisting. However, only weeks before the album was to be released, the sample of The Dynamic Superiors' "Here Comes That Feeling" that was used in the song was denied clearance by the original songwriters. Carey and her record label pleaded to have the sample cleared, but were once again denied. As a result, the track was not legally allowed to be released and the track "Joy Ride" replaced it on the album. A very brief and rough cell phone recording of a snippet of "I Feel It" was leaked to the internet by fans of Carey in early 2005. The entire track leaked to the internet in July 2007 after a snippet was featured on Mahogany's official MySpace profile, but a controversy arose after fans complained that he had charged $1.99 for the song but failed to deliver it on time. In a recent interview with Rashmi Shastri Mahogany stated about "I Feel It" that 'it's so soulful you would want the whole album to be like that'.

I LOVE this song. If she delivered a whole album like this it'd probably be her best record.
    SO MUCH BETTER THAN JOYRIDE. That song is really boring. Such a shame they couldn't get the sample cleared.

Another gem of a song that remains fairly unknown is Slipping Away, a B-side from the Daydream album:

That Throwback remix of "Triumphant" is killer. I did not have nearly the same reaction as that guy in the video up above, but I love the remix!

I stand no chance of growing up Tulip In A Cup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by betterthanfine View Post
    SO MUCH BETTER THAN JOYRIDE. That song is really boring. Such a shame they couldn't get the sample cleared.

Another gem of a song that remains fairly unknown is Slipping Away, a B-side from the Daydream album:

I had the single and totally forgot about it. Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by all these years View Post
    I had the single and totally forgot about it. Thanks for sharing!
    Had, as in, not anymore? Too bad, it's quite rare these days, you could make a few bucks selling it. And you're welcome!