Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Mariah Carey

Why do you think the vocal editing in the bridge of Hate U is bad?? I don't hear it. To say its terrible is really extreme. I think it's so beautiful and so heartfelt all the way through. Everything from the lyrics to her vocals and even her background vocals at the end work so beautifully.

I stand no chance of growing up Tulip In A Cup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by betterthanfine View Post
    Had, as in, not anymore? Too bad, it's quite rare these days, you could make a few bucks selling it. And you're welcome!
    Yeah back in 1996 but I traded the ABMB single with a girl freshman year for a Smiley Face backpack along with a 3T single Yes, was super lame!

So, wait, are there no other MC purists in here? (i.e. Daydream and everything before is acceptable, everything after is horrific?)
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

The only two Mariah albums I ever owned were Daydream and Butterfly. I was 11 or 12 and I adored those albums. I still play them occasionally for the sentimental factor. Otherwise I don't really like Mariah at all.

I prefer Mariah post-Butterfly. Her most heartfelt work came after that.

I totally forgot about Everything Fades Away which is the best thing about the Music Box album.

Quote Originally Posted by sleeptheclock View Post
    I have a soft spot for Mariah. She's ridiculous on so many levels, but she is certainly talented. Her voice has lost the sheer force it once had and some of its gorgeous, crystal-clear tone, but she still has a remarkable voice.
    This is exactly how I think of Mariah. When I was young, I used to be a big fan of her music. Then, my musical taste changed drastically and now I rarely listen to her anymore. Still, I give every new record a listen and I still think she is a very talented songwriter and singer. It's just not my cup of tea anymore. Her sense of humor, however, is unparalleled! To me, some of Mariah's best songs are:

The Roof (Back In Time)
    Breakdown
    Close My Eyes
    Outside
    Looking In
    If It's Over
    Vision Of Love
    Vanishing
    Crybaby
    Subtle Invitation

Quote Originally Posted by The Markness View Post
    So, wait, are there no other MC purists in here? (i.e. Daydream and everything before is acceptable, everything after is horrific?)
    *bes an MC purist with you*

While I prefer her 90s output, I still enjoy some tracks from the 00's albums. I got into her around Daydream (I think One Sweet Day was the first cassette single I had) and stuck with her.

The Emancipation of Mimi reminded me how much I loved her. It truly showcases her voice better than anything since Butterfly. She's had moments of glory on the follow-ups, but nothing quite as high as that album. For the purists, I think songs like Mine Again, Fly Like a Bird, and I Wish You Knew rank among her bests songs. We Belong Together, perhaps a little overplayed, is still one of my favorite singles from her.

I saw I Wish You Well on someone's list, and that is definitely one of my favorites from the recent albums. Classic Mariah melody and the Biblical nature works for the song.

I stand no chance of growing up Tulip In A Cup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Markness View Post
    Though I do adore early Mariah, I havent given newer Mariah a chance. I need to catch up! with this thread it has inspired me to.

Quote Originally Posted by AshaBlack View Post
    Why do you think the vocal editing in the bridge of Hate U is bad?? I don't hear it. To say its terrible is really extreme. I think it's so beautiful and so heartfelt all the way through. Everything from the lyrics to her vocals and even her background vocals at the end work so beautifully.
    There is a lot of cut/paste work in the bridge, but I believe it is intentional and I love it. 'H.A.T.E.U.' is definitely one of her best songs from recent years. Beautiful melody, great solid vocals, amazing harmonies and heartbreaking lyrics.

Quote Originally Posted by AshaBlack View Post

Listen closely from 1.55 onwards. Every phrase is a new take. The lines "But there's nothing I can do, boy I can't wait to hate you" are the worst. Choppy choppy choppy. And it's REALLY not a difficult feat to just sing this in one go, especially for someone like Mariah (who, in songs like Vanishing, did some of the best vocal work ever in pop music).

I do like the song, a lot, and I agree that it's one of her better cuts of recent years. But I really have trouble getting past this. And if it's intentional, like Peeping Tommi suggested, it's stupid.
    Last edited by betterthanfine; 08-08-2012 at 10:42 AM.

I love the cut n paste vocals there. I thi k they work nicely. The song always moves me. I don't know. I rank it as one of her greatest and love seeing her perform it live too. She seems to get emotional everytime she sings this song.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Top 10

1.) My All - a song impossible to sing along with. She keeps it on such a high note the entire time. But the most gorgeous song of hers. I like the video a lot although it is quite simple.
    2.) All I want for Christmas is You - I have to put this at the top of the list because it is my favorite Christmas song. Mariah wrote it. I had a friend who swore she was singing a song that was released around the time all the other classic C-mas songs were out, but I just want to give her credit for one of the best holidays songs ever.
    3.) I Still Believe - "If there's one spark of hope within my grasp I'll hold it with both hands." <- What else can I say. Love the video as well... a homage to Marilyn Monroe and I remember, as a kid, not understanding what the whole hoopla was about MM but when I heard Mariah talk about her on MTV it was certainly the first part of informing me about her.
    4.) Without You - I know it is not her song, but her version I think is the one people should refer to. I don't even know the name of the guy who sang it originally
    5.) Honey - I think this was really the first single that took Mariah away from AC and introduced her to a much younger audience. I also think this is when Mariah, herself, describes when she decided to be seen as sexy... and my goodness how she kept it going from there.. but not the point of this post.
    6.) Forever
    7.) Always Be My Baby - I would have had this much higher.. the problem is I just got so sick of hearing this song all day long on the radio. But it has to be listed.
    8.) Obsessed - One of my favorite dis tracks not by a rapper. Some of the swipes at Eminem are just too cute, maybe not too smart, I mean, his were so much harsher towards her and probably liked a lot more.. and I understand why people have issues with this song.. the chorus is pretty amateur to most ears but this line "You a mom and pop. I'm a corporation. I'm the press conference. You're a conversation." makes the song for me.
    9.) We Belong Together - I remember after the tragedy that was Glitter the next couple albums were quoted as her 'comeback' - she released Charm Bracelet at the Mall of America with Matt Lauer on the Today Show and he misspoke and said it was #1 on Billboard (it was 2 so no biggie) and her big comeback. But I think her big comeback happened when this single was released off the Mimi album. All her songs have had wonderful piano parts.. but the piano on this really does it for me.
    10.) Emotions - crazy good song.
    Last edited by Volta; 08-08-2012 at 11:32 PM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

I notice a lot of people only know the singles. You're missing out!!!

I can't believe Nicki Minaj is going to be on Idol next to Mariah like wtf. What a way to ruin my excitement to watch it. I can't stand her.

Anyway, Triumphant has officially tanked and flopped harder than even anything off Glitter.

Critics blame it on the overpowering rap vocals on it.

Has anyone listened to the Pulse Mix??