Page 90 of 93 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192 ... LastLast
Results 1,336 to 1,350 of 1381

Thread: Sufjan Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by grapefruit_is_winning View Post
    ... And OMFG I love these songs. Mystery Of Love makes me cry. One question - why do you think he sings the line "cursed by the love that I received, from my brother's daughter?" He also sings "My brother had a daughter, the beauty that she brings, illumination" in Should Have Known Better. I'm intrigued but I don't understand the reference in either of these songs.
    My thoughts are that this second verse is about overwhelming emotion - Alexander the Great was so devastated by Hephaestion's death that he refused to move from his tomb and guards had to drag him away. So one could interpret the line about his niece in a few ways - maybe he doesn't know how to receive this joyful love in the wake of such a loss, maybe he fears he will lose her like he lost his lover, maybe he feels he doesn't deserve to feel good again. Whatever the underlying reason is, he's drowning in living water.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Very interesting, thanks! That makes a lot of sense.

imagine a future and be in it emanate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari
    omg I LOLed. I think its hilarious.
    Same! I'm so glad I finally listened to the songs tonight. "Well, this world is a bitch, girl / don't end up in a ditch, girl" is appropriate advice for us all at the end of 2017 and hit me right where I needed it to.

And all of my peaches are ruined.

Long-time Lurker

Talking

^ Dying.

Oh man, I was just reading the NYT article about Tanya Harding and she doesn't like the song! She's mad he didn't call her first: "Who gives these people permission to use my name?"

Last edited by BrotherNamedErised; 08-01-2018 at 11:16 PM.

She's insufferable.

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    If I were publicly maligned as much as she’s been, I’d be sensitive too.

Last edited by BrotherNamedErised; 08-01-2018 at 11:16 PM.

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    ^^^^

I'm not kidding. People are taking the fact that we love Sufjan and his (lovely) song as an excuse to continue bashing a woman who, thirty years after the incident, has committed the crime of...not liking someone writing a song about her. A song which calls her "Portland white trash" and accuses her of being complicit in the Kerrigan incident, which she has denied over and over.

^ Definitely. And I totally get why she would be sensitive toward anyone she perceived as using her name for publicity or financial gain. I hope she looks again at the song, because I think it came from a good place (and it is lovely), and certainly wasn't meant to cause her more anguish.

Interesting details about Sufjan’s involvement in Call Me By Your Name:

Guadagnino originally wanted the 42-year-old singer to not only write original music for the film but to appear onscreen for a mid-movie performance — “almost like a break in the narrative, an aesthetic interruption” — as well as read voice-over passages from an older Elio, which were inspired by the first-person perspective from Aciman’s book. Stevens felt neither device was necessary since the story and Guadagnino’s filmmaking style were immersive enough on their own, so after the director agreed to remove the narration and onscreen performance, Stevens got to work.
    http://www.vulture.com/2018/01/sufja...ame-songs.html

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    That is so funny! Oh my life partner Sufjan, such a crack up!