Page 104 of 104 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104
Results 1,546 to 1,550 of 1550

Thread: Sufjan Stevens

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    ^^^^

I'm not kidding. People are taking the fact that we love Sufjan and his (lovely) song as an excuse to continue bashing a woman who, thirty years after the incident, has committed the crime of...not liking someone writing a song about her. A song which calls her "Portland white trash" and accuses her of being complicit in the Kerrigan incident, which she has denied over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by Perky Compson View Post
    ^^^^

I'm not kidding. People are taking the fact that we love Sufjan and his (lovely) song as an excuse to continue bashing a woman who, thirty years after the incident, has committed the crime of...not liking someone writing a song about her. A song which calls her "Portland white trash" and accuses her of being complicit in the Kerrigan incident, which she has denied over and over.
    Right. And Tonya may not realize that him calling her white trash is an effort to relate, since he has referred to himself similarly.

^ Definitely. And I totally get why she would be sensitive toward anyone she perceived as using her name for publicity or financial gain. I hope she looks again at the song, because I think it came from a good place (and it is lovely), and certainly wasn't meant to cause her more anguish.

Interesting details about Sufjan’s involvement in Call Me By Your Name:

Guadagnino originally wanted the 42-year-old singer to not only write original music for the film but to appear onscreen for a mid-movie performance — “almost like a break in the narrative, an aesthetic interruption” — as well as read voice-over passages from an older Elio, which were inspired by the first-person perspective from Aciman’s book. Stevens felt neither device was necessary since the story and Guadagnino’s filmmaking style were immersive enough on their own, so after the director agreed to remove the narration and onscreen performance, Stevens got to work.
    http://www.vulture.com/2018/01/sufja...ame-songs.html

After the film ended that first time, Guadagnino turned to Stevens for his reaction. It was a moment fraught with expectation and emotion and Stevens decided, impulsively, to take advantage of it. “I asked him if I could have his Gucci coat, and Luca literally gave me the coat off his back,” Stevens said.