Page 3 of 104 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Sufjan Stevens

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Archduke Chocula View Post
    ^Well there's also been The BQE and that re-orchestrated Enjoy Your Rabbit thing, but...I'll be honest, I listen to those approximately...not ever.
    That's true I guess. But I don't think I've listened to them much at all either.

how is the new album? worth buying?

streak his blood across my beak PoorMatty's Avatar
    The title track, "From the Mouth of Gabriel," and (of course) "The Owl and the Tanager," are very, very beautiful, and I think "Arnika" will grow on me. "Enchanting Ghost" and "Heirloom" both feel a bit B-side-ish, but they aren't offensive. Perhaps they will grow as well. I can't stand the first 12 minutes of "Djohariah," and the last 4 are a frustrating blend of lovely and obnoxious. One thing I notice and appreciate is how straightforwardly emotional and personal much of this seems compared to a lot of his music, and how much less restrained his vocal delivery is. At times he sounds downright unhinged, but it still holds together in a very affecting way. I was expecting some kind of departure, production wise, but outside of "Djohariah," it seems like mostly classic Sufjan, with lots of twinkly orchestral stuff and the ever-present banjo. I'm satisfied.

From The Mouth of Gabriel is stunning. I can't stop listening to it. I would love to hear Joanna Newsom cover it.
    When they're calling
    From the edge

Hey, FYI, I'm going to have 2 extra tickets for the Chicago show if anyone is interested. I ended up with awesome seats after I purchased some ok ones. If anyone is interested, let me know.

A day later and I'm in love with this EP (which, isn't it pretty much an album? I mean, it's longer than Ys and has more tracks, and that was considered an album). I think this, as a whole, is my favorite thing he's done, with the possible exception of Seven Swans. "From the Mouth of Gabriel," gives me goosebumps, and the added harmony vocal on "The Owl and the Tanager," makes it that much more chillingly beautiful. The latter, in particular, has one of the most gorgeous melodies of any song I can think of. I've even come to love "Heirloom," and, especially, "Enchanting Ghost." I still mostly hate "Djohariah," though, and could've done without the "classic rock" version of the title track.

I've only listened once so far but really like this - not sure which version of title track I like best but it's good to have both

I've been listening to the title track for only the first minute and I'm already completely fucking in love.

ETA: That title track. Holy shit.

the right amount of dirty Mr. Fox's Avatar
    I've only listened to "The Owl and the Tanager" thus far (I had been putting off listening to performances of it), and I LOVE it. Will listen to the rest tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by nathan murgas View Post
    I've only listened once so far but really like this - not sure which version of title track I like best but it's good to have both
    Same here!

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    "The Owl and the Tanager" is so beautiful. Instantly right there at/near the top of my favourites of 2010 list.

Does anyone have any theories as to the meaning of "The Owl and the Tanager"? There's some very disturbing imagery that calls to mind a childhood relationship, maybe with a much older person (man?). For those who don't know, a tanager is any of a group of cardinal-sized woodland birds, usually very beautifully colored. There are four that breed in North America and winter in Central and South America, with the Scarlet Tanager, which breeds in the northeast quarter of the U.S., being the most familiar, and the one that Sufjan is probably referencing, being that he grew up in Michigan:

This is EP is killing me - so beautiful and perfect.

It's so strange hearing Sufjan singing such personal lyrics.

"And the people bowed and prayed
    And what difference does it make?
    It doesn’t matter anyway
    The world surrounds us with its hate "

Kills me every time. The title track is definitely in the lead for SOTY
    I still owe money to the money, to the money I owe

That's so Shakespearean... Canoodlefish's Avatar
    Hang on, that's not the All Delighted People I've heard before...

Quote Originally Posted by PoorMatty View Post
    Does anyone have any theories as to the meaning of "The Owl and the Tanager"? There's some very disturbing imagery that calls to mind a childhood relationship, maybe with a much older person (man?). For those who don't know, a tanager is any of a group of cardinal-sized woodland birds, usually very beautifully colored. There are four that breed in North America and winter in Central and South America, with the Scarlet Tanager, which breeds in the northeast quarter of the U.S., being the most familiar, and the one that Sufjan is probably referencing, being that he grew up in Michigan:

I got the impression that it was about cycles of abuse. You hear the adult yelling "you little boy" and then the child turns around and abuses the bird. It's really haunting because of it, and very very sad.