Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Lady Gaga fur debacle, and other general LG-related annoyances

The Lady Gaga fur debacle, and other general LG-related annoyances

*EDIT* Letter was confirmed to be fake, but the controversy over Gaga's coats remains.

Ke$ha Sent A Mean Letter To Lady Gaga

Pictures of Gaga wearing the coats in question:

I despise PETA, so it's hard for me to read the (oddly eloquent) letter from Ke$ha, but if the fur is real... really disappointed that Lady Gaga would go back on her word. That's what makes me think the coats weren't real fur. *shrug*
    Last edited by Jake; 08-16-2012 at 07:41 PM.

america last
    Ke$ha's grammar gives me a headache.

I'd boycott Nike long before I'd boycott fur. I honestly see nothing wrong in killing animals for 'pleasure' if it's done humanely and sustainably, and I think that the key to improving things is to change legislation rather than make fur taboo.

Also, the letter wouldn't have been leaked if it wasn't just a stupid publicity stunt.

thundering blissful towards death stillorbiting's Avatar
    Fake. http://www.fuse.tv/2012/08/kesha-let...aga-bashes-fur

Even if Gaga's coats aren't actually real, I'm very disappointed in her for not condemning fur. Her justification for wearing it in the name of "art" is awful. She's lost a huge amount of respect from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    I honestly see nothing wrong in killing animals for 'pleasure' if it's done humanely and sustainably
    But that's exactly how it's mostly not done, and frankly it won't. I don't like to agree with Peta, but fur is the worst. Animals are only bred for their fur, there is no sustainability.

Why is it assumed the fur is real? Is wearing fake fur also wrong?

I understand the pink fur was Georgio Armani, who produces plenty of faux fur items. Hermes, not so much, but there is a first time for everything, right?

Anyway, LG responded.

Well, she wouldn't be the first fame whore to righteously denounce fur and other animal products (for publicity) in one breath and wrap it around themselves (for publicity) a bit later. See: most of the supermodels, Pamela Anderson etc.

Anyway, I don't really care whether Gaga wants to wear fur or not but the letter she published defending herself was the most tedious fucking bolus of smug self-satisfaction and faux-intellectualism since Madonna last opened her mouth trying to sound deep. The whole stunt smells of a certain desperation to shock.

thundering blissful towards death stillorbiting's Avatar
    Wearing fake fur is not wrong, but Gaga's response posted above is what disgusted me. "An absolute art piece of a coat" and "you see a carcass..." = shut the fuck up. And I say that as someone who generally really likes her. It sure doesn't sound like her fur is fake. And even if it is fake, that response pretty much endorses wearing the real thing as long as it's ~fabulous~ enough. Ugh x 1000.

Quote Originally Posted by stillorbiting View Post
    Fake. http://www.fuse.tv/2012/08/kesha-let...aga-bashes-fur

Even if Gaga's coats aren't actually real, I'm very disappointed in her for not condemning fur. Her justification for wearing it in the name of "art" is awful. She's lost a huge amount of respect from me.
    Agree..

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    I think she meant to write "hypocritical" instead of "hypercritical."

Also, that response is fraught with non sequiturs and horse pucky.

No, it certainly doesn't sound like the fur is fake (though I might place a bet on that hot pink thing... surely that's fake, right?), but I think she also makes a valid point that it's along the same lines as the other animal skins she's worn that didn't cause an uproar. I'm not really a fan of hers, nor am I a fan of wearing animals, but I don't recall any outrage or backlash over the meat dress, wolf carcass or other animal skins she's worn in the past. But that's probably because I'm not paying attention!

and it sounds like all our lives Kari's Avatar
    That response makes her look like an immature asshole.

flayed on the marble stairs
    Quote Originally Posted by Kala View Post
    I think she meant to write "hypocritical" instead of "hypercritical."

Also, that response is fraught with non sequiturs and horse pucky.
    She corrected herself later, if that matters.

the reichenbach hero fox in socks's Avatar
    ke$ha is an illiterate glitter whore, so theres that sorted.

lady gagas response is just so.......precious. shes so far up her own ass it's likely perforating her tonsils. she's tired.

I just...... ... "let's bitch out the chick who wore a side of beef as a dress for now wearing fur."
    duh? Is there a thought process behind that? Anyone, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Em View Post
    I just...... ... "let's bitch out the chick who wore a side of beef as a dress for now wearing fur."
    duh? Is there a thought process behind that? Anyone, anyone?
    Right. Lady Gaga is an attention whore, but so are PETA. Where was the outrage when she wore the meat dress? Where was the protest when she had the big fake bear fur (or was it? ) on in the Bad Romance video? There were also some sort of stuffed gazelle heads on the wall. If you're going to be outraged, at least be consistent and thorough.

Also, PETA has euthanized a shitload of animals. I understand there are over-populations of things like strays, and that euthanasia is a reality (and probably a necessity) when it comes to managing feral animal populations, but there seems to be something incongruous in PETA's message versus their actions.

It's probably a good thing that Ke$ha quickly distanced herself from that fake letter, because: