Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desperately Seeking (Clothing)

Desperately Seeking (Clothing)

I need some help finding something specific and I couldn't figure out where to put the request. So, I figured I'd start a new thread and anyone who's looking for a certain piece of clothing can ask for help.

--

I'm looking for a 1930s-era full-length dress that will work the following pieces I already have:

Feather Stole:

Shoes:

It's for a End of Prohibition-themed event. All the vintage stuff I'm finding is 50s pinup, not 30s. Any clue where I should look?

trapped in the worst timeline just owls's Avatar
    I'm terrible with this sort of thing, but would something like this work?

The style is perfect but I'm a little intimidated by the neckline. It's a professional event (in the south), so I don't know if I could get away with it. But that price...and the color! I'm going to keep it on my list.

trapped in the worst timeline just owls's Avatar
    I'm not sure how it would end up looking, but what about adding (either hand sewing or using iron-on hem tape) a sort of modesty panel, perhaps using lace (maybe nude)?

Wow, love that dress!! I think nude lace would work...

wow that dress is gorgeous, I would totally just add a panel to it. The colour would go great with your browns!

You'll never leave Harlan alive. orange shampoo's Avatar
    !!

authentic hotdog cart vendor Frangipani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by just owls View Post
    I'm terrible with this sort of thing, but would something like this work?
    ugh i would totally wear that, no theme needed.
    Slippin' on my red dress, putting on my make-up

Oy With The Poodles Already!
    I need help too! I know where to find the dresses, I just need help picking one out. I am going to my company's holiday party next month and need to find a semi-formal dress to wear. It's been over 10 years since I went to a semi-formal event and need help deciding what would work best.

I have these four ideas so far...

From lane bryant:

From The Avenue:

The fourth one is probably the most my style, but I wonder if it would be too casual for a holiday party?

Not if you accessorize it right.

werewolves, not swear-wolves Chalk's Avatar
    I like the fourth one. It doesn't look too casual to me, it would look good with a long 24-30" necklace(s) or with a belt above the waist.

I like the first one and the fourth one. If the fourth one is your style, go for it. It's not too casual and you can definitely dress it up with jewelry.

I'm not quiet...I'm plotting. Abi's Avatar
    I love the first one and the fourth one. The second one looks more casual to me than the fourth. Also patent shoes can make outfits look a lot less casual if you have any!

I'm assuming I'm late to the game on this, but just in case, did you ever find a dress?

Oy With The Poodles Already!
    Not yet, and yes I am stressing out. The party is Saturday night. That gives me 5 days to find something. EEEEK! I tried on a couple dresses similar to the fourth one and they just did not work on me at all. If all else fails, I have a nice black skirt and will try to find a very nice formal blouse to wear with it.