Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebrating famous folk who come out publicly

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar

Celebrating famous folk who come out publicly

Starting a thread to gather coming out stories as I'm quite a fan of famous folk of all kinds coming out, to help raise visibility of lgbt people from all walks of life.

Like, there is now an out gay male boxer. Awesome. Sports players of all kinds coming out really has such a major impact, especially in overtly macho sports like rugby, boxing, and the like.

http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/o...ro-boxer041012

A featherweight Puerto Rico boxer has claimed to be the first openly gay man to come out and continue competing in the professional sport’s history.

Orlando Cruz, ranked the number four featherweight by the World Boxing Organization, said: ‘I’ve been fighting for more than 24 years and as I continue my ascendant career, I want to be true to myself.

‘I want to try to be the best role model I can be for kids who might look into boxing as a sport and a professional career.

‘I have and will always be a proud Puerto Rican. I have always been and always will be a proud gay man.’

The 31-year-old sports star began boxing at age seven, when his amateur career peaked in his selection to the 2000 Puerto Rican Olympic Team in Sydney.

Cruz debuted as a professional in 2000 and won his first minor world title in 2008.

American Emile Griffith, a middleweight world champion who fought in the 50s and 60s, came out as bisexual after his career had ended.

And in the UK, Charles ‘Pink Pounder’ Jones became the first openly gay man to compete in white-collar boxing, an alternative to the amateur and professional sport where office workers train for special events.

Cruz’s next fight will be on 19 October, when he will defend his WBO North American Boxing Organization title against Mexican Jorge Pazos.

'Insanity' Fitness Trainer Shaun T Comes out, Marries Boyfriend

http://www.towleroad.com/2012/10/ins...#ixzz29TnVh7Mu

Cute picture

I thought it was a known fact he was gay? I was told by a group of people in an Insanity group I went to. Anyways, cute.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    The Independent has posted its annual Pink List celebrating LGBT people in the UK:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/pe...2-8216187.html
    The IoS Pink List 2012
    Olympic year; an olympic Pink List. More than 1,500 of you voted for the influential lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people who, you feel, make Britain safer, fairer, better and more entertaining. More than 250 nominees' names were run past our panel of judges: two magazine editors, a teacher and LGBT schools adviser, a film maker, a charity CEO, and the Chief Executive of Stonewall. They wrestled with the knotty question of who was most influential in 2012. Not surprisingly, sports people are high on the list. We hope it surprises, amuses, challenges and inspires you. Please let us know what you think.

Put a bird on it. SisterErnestine's Avatar
    I can't link the story because I'm on my phone, but the singer of Against Me has come out
    as transgendered.

OH EM GEE. Matt Dallas, of KYLE XY fame has come out of the closet to announce his engagement to his boyfriend: https://twitter.com/themattdallas/st...w_p=tweetembed

Oh, I remember a few years ago searching endlessly for a picture of his penis that was supposedly stolen/hacked from his phone. And I remember watching every excruciating episode of KYLE XY just so I could drool over him.

You're a lucky man, @BlueHamilton.

I remember I had the biggest crush on him when I watched Kyle XY too!! They make a handsome couple
    "A universe that needed someone to observe it in order to collapse it into existence would be a pretty sorry universe indeed."

I hear Tom Cruise and John Travolta finally came out and announced they plan on adopting Hugh Jackman. They also plan on hiring me to photograph the event.

Quote Originally Posted by Homogenik View Post
    I hear Tom Cruise and John Travolta finally came out and announced they plan on adopting Hugh Jackman. They also plan on hiring me to photograph the event.
    Keanu Reeves is going to be the godmother of the ceremony.

to the loneliest city in the world other pete's Avatar

Re: Celebrating famous folk who come out publicly

I hope I'm not jumping the gun here, but JODIE FUCKING FOSTER!!!

(Jennifer Garner's daddy, agent) Victor Garber came out
    link

I thought he was already out? Or maybe it was just an 'open secret' type of thing. LOVE Victor Garber. LOVE LOVE LOVE!

Jim Nabors who played Gomer Pyle on TV has come out.

Actor Jim Nabors, who played 'Gomer Pyle' in the classic 60's sitcom of the same name, has come out of the closet after years of speculation, in an announcement that he married his partner of 38 years, Stan Cadwallader, in Seattle on Jan 15, Hawaii News Now reports:

Nabors declined an on-camera interview but spoke to Hawaii News Now by phone.

"I'm 82 and he's in his 60s and so we've been together for 38 years and I'm not ashamed of people knowing, it's just that it was such a personal thing, I didn't tell anybody," Nabors said. "I'm very happy that I've had a partner of 38 years and I feel very blessed. And, what can I tell you, I'm just very happy."

Nabors said he and Cadwallader traveled to Washington state, where gay marriages became legal in early December 2012. They were married at the Fairmont Olympic Hotel in Seattle.

A judge performed the marriage ceremony in the privacy of their hotel room with a couple of friends who live down the street from them near Diamond Head as witnesses, Nabors said.

Before they were married, Nabors said, "It's pretty obvious that we had no rights as a couple, yet when you've been together 38 years, I think something's got to happen there, you've got to solidify something. And at my age, it's probably the best thing to do."
    Source

to the loneliest city in the world other pete's Avatar

English actor Geoffrey Bayldon, now 89, was a childhood hero of mine in the 70s+80s playing The Crowman, pagan mystical creator of Jon Pertwee's living scarecrow Worzel Gummidge. He's best known here for his early 70s role as manic time-traveling Saxon wizard, Catweazle, though he had guest roles in a colossal number of British films and TV series over 5 decades, including Doctor Who OF COURSE. He was apparently shortlisted for the starring part on more than one occasion (his anecdotes about this are a bit muddled), which he excellently reprised as an alternate first Doctor in a couple of official audio dramas in the '00s.

Turns out he's in the "never outed, everyone knew (who knew?)" category, his life partner being the less well known actor Alan Rowe (with four Doctor Who guest appearances to his name - it's like a Richter scale for British TV actors really), who died a few years ago.

Daniela Mercury, one the biggest singers from Brazil (and one of the best, if you ask me) came out today, posting a picture of her marriage with a journalist.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.