Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebrating famous folk who come out publicly

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar

"Things can change in an instant, so why not live truthfully?"

Good for him.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    For anyone who knows pro basketball, this is kind of a big thing. Props to Jason for realizing and accepting who he really is and having the courage to speak out about it.

When I was younger I dated women. I even got engaged, he said. I thought I had to live a certain way.

I thought I needed to marry a woman and raise kids with her. I kept telling myself the sky was red, but I always knew it was blue.
    Also - Go Nike

Sports label Nike, which has endorsed Collins, also supported his decision.

"Jason is a Nike athlete. We are a company committed to diversity and inclusion," a statement said.

That's so awesome. Given the culture he works in (Pro Sports), that must have taken a lot of courage.

The homophobic uproar is EPIC.

"He's a terrible player! Society is collapsing! This isn't a story! WHO CARES????!!!111///????"

ESPN sportscaster Chris Broussard just started preaching about this sinful openly homosexual lifestyle on air. I didn't realize religion had fuck all to do with playing professional sports. I wish everyone wouldn't suddenly become an amateur preacher when the subject of being gay came up. It's bad enough the bible is complete fiction, but most of them quote it wrong anyway.

to the loneliest city in the world other pete's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    ESPN sportscaster Chris Broussard just started preaching about this sinful openly homosexual lifestyle on air.

:what:

I know some people would be moronic shitburgers in any cultural context, but he's truly illustrating here how "Sin" is the most fuck-up-fuelling gibberish of a concept.

I've seen a lot of hate on twitter about Collins and his decision to come out, but these are mostly from nobodies. The supportive tweets have been rolling in from Kobe, Shaq, Magic Johnson, Nick Swisher, Andy Roddick, etc.

The haters are bringing up his age, his career stats, how he came out, Tim Tebow being mocked by the media while Collins is praised, blah blah blah.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowWhitePumps View Post
    The haters are bringing up his age, his career stats
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/30/sp...ut-as-gay.html

He is a mediocre player with a limited skill set but that is not the issue. What is important is that he is the first openly gay male athlete who is still active in a major American team sport. The NY times article states that he is receiving overwhelming support from teammates, league executives, and major National Basketball Association stars.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    ^ and Obama: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ritethru.0785/

This makes me happy. Usually athletes at the top levels come out when they retire, as if they're afraid of losing sponsorship deals or dealing with fan hate, or whatever. But this is important not just because he's still playing, but his sponsors are holing fast behind him. It sends a major signal that you can be out and play and not lose your income or the support of your team and other top players.

to the loneliest city in the world other pete's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ebby View Post
    ^ and Obama: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ritethru.0785/

This makes me happy. Usually athletes at the top levels come out when they retire, as if they're afraid of losing sponsorship deals or dealing with fan hate, or whatever. But this is important not just because he's still playing, but his sponsors are holing fast behind him. It sends a major signal that you can be out and play and not lose your income or the support of your team and other top players.
    At last, and good for him. I know it's even tougher in the US than over here.

I especially hope he is an influence on other sports stars - that will be a colossal contribution.

I'm years out of patience with the UK's millionaire footballers, those at the very top of the corporate tree, who have now seen decades of gay soldiers, firefighters etc coming out and making huge differences in their own communities, while they continue to dance to the homophobes' tune to protect their riches. I'm not belittling that it'll be tough for them, tougher than anything I've experienced, but... just... come on. Ten years ago they had my sympathy and positive encouragement, but if they're still saying "not now" - when even a conservative government is pushing through equality laws - then when? Only after homophobia has finally been eternally vanquished from the realm?

There are huge problems with racism and sexism in commercial sport, and fighting them is taking courage and determination from people who have no choice but to be visible. It's doubly tragic that Justin Fashanu's legacy seems to be that he will eternally cited as an reason for gay people at the top of this British religion to stay in hiding, 30 years later... forever? Someone has to seize the moment eventually.

/uncelebratoryrant

Go Collins!

I never heard Fashanu's story before. How tragic. I do think Collins should be fine, though. He seems like a really solid and intelligent guy (not that Fashanu wasn't, of course).

Obama was leaving a press conference today when someone yelled out a question about Jason Collins. Obama decided to return to the podium and say a few words about him.

He acted like he was much happier to talk about that than about Benghazi (asked by Ed Henry of Faux, of course ), sequestration, or Gitmo.

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar