Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Poe

I've actually been listening to Haunted a lot lately. What a masterpiece. I bought it the day it came out, and it's continued to grow and gain depth as I have.

It blows my mind just thinking about the intensity of the situation surrounding the album's creation — Poe and her brother finding a box of tapes that their father recorded for them since childhood, featuring their voices. I think the album perfectly portrays both her father's continued control of her though those tapes, and her finding love, understanding and eventual freedom through them. And while I think most of the songs are specifically about that relationship with her father, it's brilliant how she weaves in situations and terminology from House of Leaves, mostly as metaphor. It's a beautiful, nuanced story, and it really is incredibly sad and haunting.
    When they're calling
    From the edge

Angry johnny is where I got this username! I should give that album a proper listen again.. It was HUGE for me in college
    chillin in kyoto grand with my man Skrill

Did anyone else receive a random email from Poe's mailing list today?

Yes, along with a link to this:

which was posted last week on YouTube.

ETA: Needless to say I'm not getting too excited. Not until I hear an official announcement that the new album is finished.

This is exciting !
    And I'm liking the vibe of the video Hope it's something from the new album !

I really, REALLY like the sound of the music in that clip. Not to mention, fantastic lyric there!

"And some say that it loops forever this road that I lose you on every time... (repeat)
    ...I'm getting off this time."

This is more than we've gotten in years, so I am getting excited!

From the first post in this thread, this and 3 more clips were posted earlier this year at http://ptch.com/poe. I REALLY hope the official post means more activity is coming soon!

Poe

I did a bit of digging around, but couldn't find a Poe thread. So here it is. As with Tori, Poe was a huge Atlantic victim and spent 10 years in legal battles for the rights to her 2 albums.

I have to say, "Haunted" is one of the greatest albums ever made.

For those who have no idea who she is, have a read. I would strongly recommend checking out her 2nd album.

Poe (born Anne Decatur Danielewski) (born March 23, 1967) is an American singer, songwriter, and record producer. Poe's musical style is a unique blend of Rock, Jazz, Electronica, Folk, and Hip Hop elements combining intimate lyrical compositions. Many of Poe's songs have been featured in films and on television. Poe first hit the modern rock charts in 1995.

Some of her early charting singles included "Angry Johnny", " Trigger Happy Jack", " Hello", and "Hey Pretty." Videos for these singles had heavy rotation on MTV. Poe spent six years with Atlantic Records and is currently on her own label, Repoezessed Music Records.

Noteworthy was Poe's early involvement with her online community of fans. Her web site, and the fan sites that supported her early in her career, predated modern social networking platforms and were among the first of their kind. Atlantic Records' Senior Vice President of New Media, Nikki Sleight, referred to Poe's online power and one-on-one communication with thousands attending her concerts as "unheard of and pretty phenomenal" in Sleight's 1997 interview with Web Magazine.

In 2004, she co-founded the digital innovations agency Signature Creative with John Gheur.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe_(si...2.80.93present

"Angry Johnny" live TV appearance
    http://youtu.be/xJCC6HiSKOg

"Haunted" is one of my favorites albums and has been for years. I like all of the songs, certainly, but I feel like the album as a whole is more than the sum of it's parts.

I liked "Haunted" on it's own merits, and ended up appreciating it even more after reading "House of Leaves" written by her brother, Mark. They're each their own pieces of work, but play off of each other so well.

I think it's criminal what she went through with her label.

^I completely agree. "Haunted" is absolutely an album to listen to from start to finish. I love the sound bites and interlude tracks too, although the track 'House of Leaves' is incredibly creepy.

I haven't actually read the book 'House of Leaves' all the way through. It's quite headache-inducing at times with the way it's written, but I do think it's absolutely genius at the same time.

I do have to wonder what she's been up to for the past fourteen years. "Haunted" was beyond brilliant.
    Sometimes I think the so-called "experts" actually are experts.

There have been too many teases of music "coming sooner than you might expect!" for me to believe she's ever going to release an album again. She did a couple shows a few years back and even got some minor press (on Perez Hilton at least ) and it felt like we were thisclose to a comeback, but we all know how that went...