Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    There have been too many teases of music "coming sooner than you might expect!" for me to believe she's ever going to release an album again. She did a couple shows a few years back and even got some minor press (on Perez Hilton at least ) and it felt like we were thisclose to a comeback, but we all know how that went...
    Ditto. I remember freaking out over that video clip she posted on YouTube of, what seemed to be, a line from a song on a loop. But that was at least a year ago now and nothing. Not one word. Such a shame.

She was looking out the window Snow White's Avatar
    Huh. Every now and then I wonder what happened to her. Awful to hear about her battle with Atlantic. Was such a fan of Haunted back in the day.

With "Haunted" climbing the charts, Atlantic announced that it had renewed Poe's contract and committed to Poe for three more albums. They renewed their agreement with the boutique label, Modern/FEI Records (Fishkin Entertainment, Inc.) through which Poe was signed to Atlantic. In addition, Atlantic committed to releasing and distributing "Haunted" internationally and serviced the album globally. Shortly thereafter, they printed promo copies of "Wild," which was "Haunted's" second single that included a remix by Static Revenger. Copies of that single were never sent to radio.

A merger of Atlantic and AOL Time Warner was approved by the FCC in January 2001. AOL Time Warner was under close scrutiny to show positive results almost immediately after their mega-merger. With a softening of the economy after the FCC approval, they began close review of all relationships with third party production houses, such as Modern Records.

In November 2001, six weeks after renewing Poe's contract, Billboard Magazine announced that Atlantic was severing ties with Modern/FEI records, the label through which Poe was signed to Atlantic.

The net result of this was that Poe was to be dropped from its roster of artists. Poe's manager and Modern/FEI label head, Paul Fishkin, stated that 'Poe was stunned to be let go as Atlantic had just picked up its option on her next three albums and had already printed promo CDs of her next single 'Wild' and sent them to radio.' Val Azzoli, then President of Atlantic, said to Billboard Magazine of dropping Poe, 'Poe must be feeling pretty bruised right about now,' adding only that Atlantic had simply made a business decision. The article points out that it was a strange decision in light of the fact that, 'according to SoundScan, "Haunted" had sold 250,000 copies and the album's first single, "Hey Pretty," had only come out two months prior'. Spinner reflected ten years later on the business decision and its impact stating, 'With a gold record under her belt, a critically-acclaimed second album, a new hit single, strong sales, and an arena tour opening for Depeche Mode, Poe was well-established as an important influence. And then, poof—she disappeared.'
    In 2002, a story in the August issue of "LA Weekly" shed some light on the action of Atlantic to drop their rapidly rising artist with commitments and creative work underway. Poe had been signed to Atlantic in 1995 through a boutique label called Modern Records/Fishkin Entertainment Inc. (FEI). Amidst the complex and huge merger of Time Warner with AOL in 2000, it came to light that, in spite of the fact that Atlantic was responsible for providing all funding, marketing, publicity, radio promotion, tour support and distribution for the Poe project, Modern/FEI (not Atlantic) in its 1982 distribution deal with Atlantic, was awarded ownership of the masters of all Poe recordings. What this meant for Atlantic was that, by renewing Poe's contract, Atlantic had committed sizable resources to a project in which, it would have a financial participation, but not an equity stake in Poe's past, present or future catalogue.

In November 2000, Atlantic/AOL Time Warner first chose to drop the Modern/FEI, and as a result were contractually obligated pay Modern/FEI an undisclosed amount of money, and effectively release themselves from any further fiduciary responsibilities to Modern/ FEI and/or Poe. This resulted in a pay-off for Modern/FEI and prematurely ended all printing, distribution, marketing, and promotion of Poe's second album "Haunted." In exchange for these monies, Modern/FEI's agreed to give Atlantic a two-year grace period during which Modern/FEI agreed not to do anything commercially with any of Poe's master recordings, enabling Atlantic to sell off their stock of already produced copies of "Haunted." As a result, "Haunted" received no further promotional support and the album faded from the market place.

In 2004, Modern/ FEI sold the Poe Masters for "Hello" and "Haunted" to Sheridan Square Music who merged in 2005 with V2 Records, which cataloged the Poe masters under a sub-label called Indie Blue. Indie Blue and Sheridan Square Music were acquired by E-One Music in 2009.

Though Modern/ FEI kept ownership of Poe’s masters until 2004, in 2001 as “Haunted” was climbing the charts, the label sold its interest in Poe as an artist and in Poe’s future recordings, in a questionable deal to a wealthy oil executive and longtime Poe fan who bought her contract and kept Poe tied up in court, unable to release new music or perform professionally for nearly a decade. What music Poe did release during that time was generally done under the pseudonym “Jane.” The contract eventually ended after 10 years of legal wrangling, when The Labor Commission of California ruled in favor of Poe. New York Post writer, Miriam Katz, quoted Poe in her 2011 article, “A Decade of Silence,” about Poe’s ten-year legal battles, “My entire life was suddenly under the control of a very powerful man whom I didn’t know, and who didn’t [seem to] mean well. It was a horror story from which I am just beginning to recover.”

Poe was able to perform for charitable events during this period, and she collaborated on film soundtracks and continued to compose and write. Also, her songs were licensed for use in films and commercials.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe_(singer)

Funnilly enough, 'Modern Records' was the label put together, original, to exclusively launch Stevie Nicks' solo career.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_Records_(1980)

Oh, Poe.

Haunted remains brilliant as other have mentioned. It's just one of the most fully realized and raw concept albums I've ever heard. She incorporates just the right amount of wit and camp to lighten up the otherwise brooding affair. Such a stunning album that validates her career, as unprolific as its been.

I'd love to hear something new from her. I'm confident she could create something worth generating renewed buzz and interest in her. She's just so damn elusive at this point.

Poe

Live show this month, from her FB page:

https://facebook.com/story.php?story...d=143303845564

Quote Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post
    Live show this month, from her FB page:

https://facebook.com/story.php?story...d=143303845564
    Broken link... what?!

*edit* Here: http://sayersclub.com/event.cfm?cart...706.1399398480

OMG. If you live in LA and don't go to this, you're insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Broken link... what?!

*edit* Here: http://sayersclub.com/event.cfm?cart...706.1399398480

OMG. If you live in LA and don't go to this, you're insane.
    Ah, sorry, thanks for finding the correct link!

Live performance of new song "The Other Side." Another + the set here:

http://www.sift-thru.com/sift-thru/2...buts-new-songs

Not too shabby, but I think a studio version would help it considerably.

I still want to hope for a new album. That video only encourages it.

imagine a future and be in it emanate's Avatar
    Well, now. That's exciting news! I almost don't want to watch the live videos to avoid getting my hopes up in case no new recording ever happens. Oh, the perils of being a Poe fan.

She's playing another show next week!

http://sayersclub.com/event.cfm?id=117040
    Last edited by PurpleMonkey; 06-20-2014 at 11:43 PM.

Setlist from Tuesday's show:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Waylon View Post
    I do have to wonder what she's been up to for the past fourteen years. "Haunted" was beyond brilliant.
    Actually, I have a crazy story! Last weekend I was at a party and I met a girl who says she actually works with Annie D. I asked her the same exact question: "Where is she?? How is she?? What in the world is she up to?"

The girl said that Annie is actually working in production now, and writing songs for other artists... She's staying behind the scenes. I asked her if we could expect another record at any point, and she said, "Oh, you'll be hearing her name. Soon"

Whatever that means... the girl could have been flapping her gums, but intuitively I didn't feel like she was.

Hope that's at least a morsel for you!

Friend of mine was at the show and says she mentioned new songs were still in process but she allegedly hinted something might be coming in the not-distant future. One day she'll say something that's NOT vague lol

Hmm, is this landing page new or have I just not been there in a few years? http://www.officialpoe.com/

(at the very least, http://realpoe.com used to forward me to http://realpoe.ning.com/)