Page 3 of 53 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Tales of Everyday Homophobia

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    So working in a Walmart jewelry department has its perks to say the least. Every. Single. Fucking. Time that I have to pierce a grown man's ears, I'm faced with the inevitable "now, make sure you don't pierce the fag ear!" Every time. Incidentally, for those of you who may not know, traditionally the right ear is considered the "gay ear." This, of course, all stems from pre-rights movement code that is fairly obsolete nowadays I would imagine.

Anyway, recently I was told that while I was on vacation, my manager and a co-worker were working in the department together when an older man came up who wanted his ear pierced. He again gave them the "not the fag ear" speech and my beloved manager in her adorably naive way looked at my co-worker (who was also perplexed) and said, "Well...Joey has his left ear pierced, so..." and then proceeded to pierce this man's right ear.

RESULT.
    So the right ear is the fag ear. First time in my whole life I've heard this.
    That's what I really love about this forum: learning this kinda stuff.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

In the garden of your mind. Tellurium's Avatar
    I believe the saying is "right ear, right queer".

But it might not be a saying, so much as just something I've heard people say on occasion.

Honestly though, I don't think I've ever not thought an ear piercing looked kinda gay. Whichever ear it happens to be on.

aging hipster trash The Seaward's Avatar
    when it comes to guys piercing their ears, around here they say "left is right, right is wrong". /EYEROLL
    I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it.

my nan saw my status on facebook, tried to tell me "we know youve been trying to tell us for years that your in the LGB..." "but we're fine with it". At the time I was buying a bag off ebay for Uni to put my stuff in, and she took this to mean a 'man bag', leading to a rather hilarious conversation with my mum
    GSV Tarendai

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    American guys must get really confused about ear piercings when they're over here so, as I don't think any such rules are followed.

what if both are pierced? is he then Bi?

lose my heart on the burning sand coronaradiata's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JIM View Post
    at CocoRosie?!? WTF?? I thought only queers liked them.
    I know. I was expecting a big LGBT turn-out, but there were only uptight suburban hipsters.

flayed on the marble stairs
    You would think that hipsters would be at least a wee bit open-minded :s.

A new term that is dripping with homophobia: tranny. Thanks to Christian Siriano from Project Runway, the word has slipped into the Queen's English lexicon. If I remember correctly, Christian uses it to both signal things he loves- as in, "Tranny fierce"-- or things he disapproved of-- "you look like a tranny hot mess." idk, I always found the use of tranny to be pejorative in either case, and I find that as it circulates in gay circles, it's taking on that negative meaning. Right before school ended, we were having a Field Day, and I overheard two gay boys start talking about having "Tranny Wars" (they were really Vogue Battling, so being the Fairy Godmother I am, I stepped in and explained that they were doing a type of dancing that's been around for at least 30 years. They rolled their eyes because of the Madonna association, but I explained that Madonna just exploited it. Anyway, it all made me sad that the new generation of gays know so little of gay culture/gay history, and furthermore, they don't want to know. And it's not like kids get Gay History 101 in school, or anywhere really ). It occurred to me that they were associating transsexuals with the histrionic mannerisms traditionally labeled "faggotry." Could it be that they are validating, or trying to "normalize," their sexuality by casting down and insulting transsexuals? Did Christan set up/reinforce an "us vs. the trannies" schism?
    Last edited by Banjee; 08-11-2010 at 04:33 PM.

Speaking of what you just said... I've had a very abstract and similar thought, it took listening to a song called Sister Blister by Alanis Morissette to *START* to get my idea into words, and I haven't even gotten halfway to what I'm feeling.

We are both too separatist, yet, at the same time, yearn for the acceptance of the dominant groups.

Or something like that.

I just think there's this pressure of "not being the stereotype" I mean, when a kid grows up and sees the flamboyant gay characters mocked in TV and popular culture you obviously want to stray as far away from that. Some just want to hear people exclaim "Oh god, I *TOTALLY* couldn't tell you were gay!" "But I could have *SWORN* you were straight!" "Wow, I know straight guys who seem gayer than you!"

The pressure to be the "cool gay friend who isn't the annoying queen" the acceptance by the straight close minded crowd. And that is never a fully won battle cause really, then you get to hear things like "I hate gays! but not you" or things like "I'm against gay marriage" and they even expect the Straight!Gay to not want to marry cause really, he knows "what's up". He's on their side, he just likes guys, that's it, he doesn't want a boyfriend or anything.

Then, that feeling just starts to grow *within* the gay community. "We are not like THEM" now it is not an individual, but a little group of friends, a club, whatever. Birds of a feather...

It gets to the point that they might be rejected by the straight crowd, but then they get comfort from the exclusion of the "femmes" "trannies" W/E. Targeting something brings people together, and this could be something that happens.

But this is all so messy, in my head it makes a lot of sense, I just have a lot of trouble putting it into words.

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Loca View Post
    A new term that is dripping with homophobia: tranny.
    New term? Tranny has been around for as long as I can remember.

thirst world problems Octopussy's Avatar
    "Tranny" makes me think of

I worked in a shop for awhile. :/

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spyk_ View Post
    New term? Tranny has been around for as long as I can remember.
    Very much so in this part of the world, but perhaps not in the USA? Tranny has definitely been around a long time. But then it's not always the word itself, but how it's being used. I have a Trans friend who I run a Trans support group with, and she calls herself a tranny affectionately, and uses that term as a term of endearment. But it can also be used in a negative way.

Context and all that.

In the garden of your mind. Tellurium's Avatar
    Right, I'd never heard the term "tranny" used in Canada. When I came to the UK I heard it all the time, though. It did sound like a pejorative to my ears, so it was hard to get used to, but as you say, ebby, it's how it's used that counts, and most people I know say it with a smile and with love.

I dont agree with the word tranny as its usually meant maliciously, and most of all, it brings attention to the fact that someone is a transexual, whereas I believe that this should be inconsequential, so what if they're a transexual, its something you shouldn't think about or have to about a person, and it should play no part in how people view them.

So what if he used to be a woman? So what if she has a girlfriend, she just happens to be a lesbian, so what if I have a husband, I just happen to be gay. It shouldn't define that person or who they are, it should just be accepted as an inconsequential attribute ( unless obviously the other person is gay and so are you and you happen to fancy eachother )
    GSV Tarendai