Page 43 of 53 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: Tales of Everyday Homophobia

^ Yeah, I teared up at that same sentence. Powerful.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    the whole PantiGate debacle is being raised in the Dáil (our parliament) at the moment by a cross section of TDs (member of parliament), including two out gay TDs. I'm very dissatisfied with the answer from the Minister on the issue to be honest, and totally in love with John Lyons and Jerry Buttimer, the two out gay TDs who spoke on the issue with a number of other allies. Mick Wallace, another TD, read out a section of that speech Panti made that has been doing the rounds, so it is now on the official record of Parliament, which is as awesome as the issue being raised in the Seanad (our senate) and the European parliament over the last few days.

The clip from the Seanad was amazing - the man who is responsible for the court case that decriminalised homosexuality here raged through his time allocation: http://www.irishtimes.com/news/irela...bers-1.1679544

Oh, and Panti's speech has over 300,000 views in 4 days. It's turning into a more powerful voice than that of the hugely funded Iona Homophobes, who if you don't know anything about, read this: http://bocktherobber.com/2013/06/wha...ona-institute/

Yet another of those hugely funded extremist catholic organisations like all the anti-abortion ones that get funded from the USA by the right wing religious crazies over there who see Ireland as the frontline battle in evil secular Europe.

it wouldn't even matter other pete's Avatar
    Arizona Confronting Awkward Realization That Gay People Have Money, Buy Stuff

Sweet satire, please guide their beloved ole freemurket to bite their phobey asses good.

it wouldn't even matter other pete's Avatar
    "Every day, homophobes like Felix are subjected to discrimination. For just 2 euro a month, you could help the Brigade of Irish Gentlemen Opposed to Tolerance stand up to anti-homophobia"

Well, Jan Brewer did veto that bill, so there's that. And yes, she did veto it because gay people have money and buy stuff. Some are pissed off that it came down to money instead of civil rights, and I get that, but I also kind of love the shift of corporate thinking. And, the fact that can scare Republicans into doing the right thing. I say get the rights first; their hearts and minds can follow later.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

^Her speech was pretty interesting (coming from her ofc).
    Here's the analysis from the New Yorker.

Panti was interviewed by our main lgbt mag here in Ireland, and is looking amazing on the cover:

But then the interview is a lot more fiery than you'd usually hear from her, but it's very welcome indeed. Here are two of my favourite moments:

And this:

Epic. Yes. Fuck yes.

You can read the full thing online: http://edition.pagesuite-professiona...2-492a8163251b

Ireland has its very own version of the Phelps family, who are becoming very established here in Galway as a number of the kids of the family are in university here, and running the Christian Society in NUI Galway.

Two of the brothers are running the in Students Union elections - one for Equality officer, hilariously enough. Here's some info about Enoch: http://www.rabble.ie/2014/03/11/a-wa...nuig-students/

There's a referendum for the student body to come out in support of marriage equality so today they were distributing leaflets on campus comparing homosexuality to paedophilia (incorrect) and that the constitution specifically states that marriage is between a man and a woman (also incorrect) and other ridiculous things. People counter protested, and the Gardai were called.

All fun: http://www.broadsheet.ie/2014/03/12/embracing-change/

Gays kissed and had mock wedding ceremonies:

Christians were aghast (they're protecting their posters of untruths from being ripped down):

Quote Originally Posted by other pete View Post
    Arizona Confronting Awkward Realization That Gay People Have Money, Buy Stuff

Sweet satire, please guide their beloved ole freemurket to bite their phobey asses good.
    “Quite frankly, we were blindsided by this,” she said. “We had no idea that gays had money and bought things just like regular people do.”
    “How was I supposed to know what gay people do with their money, etc., when I don’t personally know any gay people?” she asked. “I’m sorry, but it was up to the gays to tell us.”

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Hm.
    Had lunch today, we have this magnificent sunny terrace on the 11th floor (totally irrelevant).

Here is the thing. There was only my bunch of four, and another bunch of four, talking really loud. Without trying that hard, we could overhear everything they said.
    They were all female (totally irrelevant). Somebody said;
    "....well I'm not AGAINST 'homoes'. It's just that, I'm not PRO 'homoes'. I just cannot agree with their sexuality and what they do."
    I thought wtf, and turned around to see who they were, pondering on how one can or cannot 'agree with' someones sexuality, 'homoes', and how unprofessional it was to express such a (dumbass) moral opinion at work. Had never seen her. My colleagues all looked at their salads, not really knowing what to say. The woman continued about adoption etc., how wrong it was.

I asked my colleagues, "should I go over, say something, do something?"
    One of them said, "you wouldn't get very far, she's obviously VERY stupid"
    We all laughed and talked in loud voices about how selfish and immoral it was to make children instead of adopt in really loud voices, because there's so much newborns in need already.

Usually, I would just go over and start a discussion. Since I was at work, I did not, because I did not want to make any trouble. And know how I can be, it would have been unprofessional, even though she started it.
    Now, I really REALLY regret not having said anything.

I tend to agree with the person who said that would have been a bit pointless as she's obviously an idiot.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Yeah I agree, which is why I said nothing. Next time I'll just walk over to them, look over the railing, then at her and say "wow, that is quite a drop, don't you agree?"

*still feel like a wimp*

A teenage girl just called me a faggot. I told her she was a disgusting homophobe. Then her friend, another teen girl, said, "Omg stop bullying her, do you even know what that means?" Then I yelled, "DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT FAGGOT MEANS, YOU STUPID FUCKING CUNT?" Everyone in my grocery store's bakery looks stunned.

strike every chord that you feel Owen's Avatar
    What a stupid fucking cunt, indeed. Ugh. You are so damn awesome, Ryan!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Why did she call you a faggot?