Page 3 of 168 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mighty Tori YouTube Thread!

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    What is it about Jools' show that makes her performances so phenomenal? Some places seem to bring out just extra good vibes or something.

This is Raspberry Swirl from Storytellers. My favorite performance of one my favorite songs.

Secret Spell. Seriously. I am not a big fan of the song - but this live version from the other night is great with the Beatles interlude. Kinda strange how her voice can sound so strong when she sings the Beatles, but then seems weaker - like she is struggling - with some of her more current stuff. Hmmm...

Skip ahead to 2:55 if you don't want to hear it all. I love how deep and powerful her voice is - it seems lower and different for her. I wish she would embrace this deeper register more....
    Last edited by Beelust; 06-16-2010 at 02:41 AM.

red dots make me cum.
    I wish Bonnaroo was released to DVD. I really liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beelust View Post
    Secret Spell. Seriously. I am not a big fan of the song - but this live version from the other night is great with the Beatles interlude. Kinda strange how her voice can sound so strong when she sings the Beatles, but then seems weaker - like she is struggling - with some of her more current stuff. Hmmm...

Skip ahead to 2:55 if you don't want to hear it all. I love how deep and powerful her voice is - it seems lower and different for her. I wish she would embrace this deeper register more....
    I feel like she started singing more passionately on the Turn Turn Turn verses because she wanted to get the crowd more involved (she does that sing-along gesture too) and then was happy she got some reaction. Tori tends to kick it up a notch if the crowd gets into something.

Haven't been a huge fan as of late, but this was a good performance (please ignore the dumb bitch singing loudly and off key).

Wait, when did Tori song the Beatles at Bonnaroo? I thought that song was by Seeger?

beatles, seeger, 60s, meth - same thing

Speaking of the 60s - i love this solo Beauty of Speed (she looks 1960s ish). Very melancholy - I think Tori is being autobiographical and personal on many of her more recent songs like this - she just hides it in the production on the albums.

Last edited by Beelust; 06-16-2010 at 04:52 AM.

Great solo performance of Strange on some Canadian morning TV show. I'd never seen this before, does anyone know if she did other songs? Nice to see her perform dressed so casually as well, especially in the shower curtain era.
    Last edited by JHV; 06-16-2010 at 06:18 AM.

What kind of fuckery is this? emptytuileries's Avatar
    The whole Strange Little Webcast is mind-blowing.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    I love her Jools performances - most acts do really awesome sets on his show - it must be the atmosphere on set or something, and the way it's set up with a few different "stages" around the set and all the band are able to watch and hear each other and play for each other.

This is probably the best Precious things ever with the improvised "ugly girl" part. Love it.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Thanks for that Precious Things. They really breathed new life into it in 2009, Tori seemed really into it

It's great, isn't it? The second London show was awesome in general. I think that aside from Precious things she played the ultimate version of Bells for her there. There is a blurry video of it on youtube:

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Beelust View Post
    Speaking of the 60s - i love this solo Beauty of Speed (she looks 1960s ish). Very melancholy - I think Tori is being autobiographical and personal on many of her more recent songs like this - she just hides it in the production on the albums.
    That version of BoS is one of my favourite performances she has ever done. Beauty of Speed is my second favourite Tori song anyway (beaten only by a sorta fairytale) but that version was so much better than the one on ADP.

I also agree with you about the fact that she tries to disguise the personal nature of some of her more recent songs. I remember someone posting a quote on @forumz about Lady in Blue, where she said it was "a story about a woman" who met someone from her past and they both still had feelings for eachother, despite them both being married now. I think it's clear she's talking about herself here, and I also think it's pretty safe to assume the "man from her past" is Eric.

That made me reconsider that entire song. When she sings "I left the right man", I used to interpret it as her saying "I made the right choice by leaving that man". But now, if I assume the man is Eric, I think of it as her saying "I left the man who was right for me".

Also, the fact she says "I wronged the right man" could apply to Eric as she wronged him when she cheated on him with Mark (at least, that's what I think happened, but that makes for a whole other post).

Basically, I think Lady in Blue is about Eric and how Tori wonders if she did the right thing by leaving him for Mark. "Pillow cold, but she won't stray into other lands" says to me that Tori is unhappy in her marriage but can't bring herself to do anything about it. Which is really intriguing, but at the same time very sad.

Anyway, I never intented to go off on a tangent. Lovely new forum. Thanks to menju for letting me know about it.

It's gotta be here somewhere molotovcocktease's Avatar

Icon15

Quote Originally Posted by DavidIX View Post
    Father Lucifer from Letterman, my fave Tori TV appearance ever.

her hair+that dress+ her make-up+ that performance=perfect.

I've never seen it before, just amazing!

here's my (new) second favorite.