Thread: The Breast Milk Baby

The Breast Milk Baby

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/...a-8329230.html

Anything which promotes breastfeeding is a great idea.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/...t-8329218.html

To add to the growing list of interactive baby dolls that are aimed at young girls, there's now a doll for them to pretend to breastfeed called 'The Breast Milk Baby'. According to the website, it helps them experience the 'magic of motherhood' (minus the colic, mastitis, reflux....) and comes with a special flowered halter top for little girls to wear that activates the doll's suckling mechanism. Bring the doll up to the flower “nipple” and its mouth moves and makes suckling sounds. Yum gulp burp!
    What I find creepy about the Breast Milk Baby is the way it's website says "Little girls need to learn to breastfeed". Well, I think little girls need to learn to play nicely with other children, respect their elders, and how to mind their Ps and Qs. Do girls really 'need' to learn to breastfeed from the age of just two? My daughter's still pointing at squirrels and shouting 'cat!'. I'm not sure she's ready yet to learn how to get a doll to latch on correctly.

werewolves, not swear-wolves Chalk's Avatar
    I saw that the other day and I think it's disgusting.

When I was about three or four or so, I got a big plastic baby-type doll as a gift. I was totally nonplussed. What a boring, patronising gift! How did anyone think I could be interested in such dull crap? It wasn't that I was anti-doll - I liked dolls shaped like adult humans who looked like they had personalities, could have adventures and wear interesting clothes, not some boring ugly baby thing whose play value was being able to be picked up and put down and maybe gurgled at. My interest in enacting human babycare rituals was about as big then as it is now - zero. Anyway, I was totally affronted. I ended up vandalising it rather harshly with purple crayon and abandoning it in some corner of the house with great contempt. The only thing worse would have been if they'd got me one of those things whose huge selling point was having a hidden duct that could be filled with water so they could imitate pissing themselves. What kind of creep thinks cleaning up fake urine is a good game? Oh, right, one interested in getting you trained as a domestic from day one.

Some fucker gave me a pram not long after, but it turned out the cat liked to to sleep in it, so I let it lie.

This tit-feeding thing is even worse. How utterly patronising and vile. HELLO GIRL CHILD, WELCOME TO YOUR FUTURE AS A MOOCOW SUCKLING YOUR YOUNG WHICH YOU WILL HAVE OBVIOUSLY FOR ARE YOU NOT FEMALE. If I'd recieved that as a kid I would have tossed it in the fire or something. Christ.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by julius ebola View Post
    The only thing worse would have been if they'd got me one of those things whose huge selling point was having a hidden duct that could be filled with water so they could imitate pissing themselves.

Sounds like you missed out on having one of these.

After she eats or drinks, MY BABY ALIVE doll says "oops! I made a stinky!" – that means it is diaper changing time!

the reichenbach hero fox in socks's Avatar
    If we are to encourage the next generation to breastfeed, surely this toy is essential. How will young girls ever accept that breastfeeding is the norm when they grow up constantly giving their dolly a bottle. If education is the key to changing attitudes towards breastfeeding then surely this doll does just that. By exposing children to biological norms from a young age it should help dispel any taboo from the past generation.
    this is just dumb. ive never heard an argument against breastfeeding that was stated "because when i was younger i only gave dolly a bottle". how condescending to imply that adults aren't capable of better reasoning. my niece (who's 3) has occasionally "breastfed" her toy dog. should this behavior be shunned?!?! what if she grows up thinking she can nurse huskies?!?!?! such concerns!

Quote Originally Posted by julius ebola View Post
    It wasn't that I was anti-doll - I liked dolls shaped like adult humans who looked like they had personalities, could have adventures and wear interesting clothes, not some boring ugly baby thing whose play value was being able to be picked up and put down and maybe gurgled at..
    Same here! I liked my Barbies because I could play-act all the little scenarios I stole from movies and books and tv shows. My Mary Poppins doll was cast as a freakishly large member of the French Resistance who was kidnapped by Nazis (Ken and Allan) and had to make a bold escape. I made sure to smear her with dirt and tear holes in her clothes for realism's sake.

And I'm not even going into how I used to wash and style all my dolls' hair even though they weren't made to be styled, so the third time you did it it just all fell off. My poor dolls. The only ones I didn't abuse were the animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    And I'm not even going into how I used to wash and style all my dolls' hair even though they weren't made to be styled, so the third time you did it it just all fell off. My poor dolls. The only ones I didn't abuse were the animals.
    Yes! I used to color my dolls' hair with washable markers. Even after washing it out, it left a greenish or purple-ish (or whatever color) tint in the hair. Then it eventually fell out. Dolls that looked like babies didn't hold the slightest bit of interest for me. I remember being aware of that My Baby Alive monstrosity Kala posted and thinking it was gross at the time. Why on earth would I want a crapping doll? No doubt the Breast Milk Baby would have baffled me too. Give me stuffed animals and art supplies any day.

http://www.dollinfo.com/featuredollwin01.htm

^ My mom gave me a Tiny Tears doll and her eyes scared me so much I put her in the closet under a bunch of folded clothes.

^ My grandparents once got me a baby doll that would repeat back things you said to it. I was very conflicted about it. On one hand, it was basically a robot and I really liked robots. On the other hand, it was really freaking creepy! I played with it for a while and then shoved it in my closet.

My nephew "breast fed" all his stuffed animals. It was one of the cutest things I've ever seen. He even put a towel over their heads to conceal the feeding like his mother did with his baby brother!