Page 73 of 74 FirstFirst ... 236371727374 LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 1098

Thread: Sexism

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve SFM View Post

Trump has fucked up this country in a multitude of ways. His poisoning of our culture is one of the worst.
    Not that I hate him any less than you, but I don't see him as the problem with our culture. I see him as the embodiment of all that is wrong, the avatar of the Id. He is a symptom, not the cause. He tailored his message TO these horrifying assholes deliberately and purposely.

We knew the toxic culture better than most groups here on this forum. We just thought it was limited to certain aspects of culture (ie video game analysis warrants death threats).

Trump is a symptom not the cause.

Could somebody please put a muzzle on Bill Clinton?

Bill Clinton says he 'did the right thing' during Lewinsky scandal, hasn't apologized to her

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/04/polit...ogy/index.html

This was litigated 20 years ago. Two-thirds of the American people sided with me.

While I'm not going to DEFEND him by any means, I am just tired of all anti-Clinton stuff. and you know what else? Criticisms either of them deserve go out the window because it's been 25+ years of this. I'm exhausted.

Someone made the good point that Bill, who has been out of office FOR EIGHTEEN YEARS has been asked more about his shenanigans than Trump, who is still in office and is a coward, hiding from real reporters... and the ones who do get access don't want to lose it by asking him in their limited opportunities.

Like I know there is probably a really good point to be made about Bill's creeper legacy and all that, but I DON'T CARE. Not now. Get this psycho out of office and in prison oranges and then maybe I'll care.

Oh, also? Shouldn't he be told to just shut up and take up knitting? Cause that's all his wife is told. Clearly it can't be for failed nominees because no one tells McCain, Gore, Kerry, or Romney to take up knitting. Surely it must be a Clinton thing and not rampant misogyny?

So yeah, Bill should shut up but so should all the neverending hot takes on this.

We can be dissatisfied with how it turned out or how he's treated now as a hero but he faced legal consequences and he's not in office and and he's not running for office and his spouse is no longer running for office so can we take care of those people first? Can we go a fucking day without torches and pitchforks for a Clinton? (Not you, Nancy. I mean outside of here). Stop "both sides" this and Bill just stop making it worse.

Also, there is a poll out today that shows that Trump is more popular among Republicans at this point in his presidency than Obama was with Democrats at the same point. So the next time a Republican tries to tell you that they’re not all racist, misogynistic, serial liars who peddle conspiracy theories, remind them that a majority actually are, or at least that they’re fine with one being president.

strike every chord that you feel Owen's Avatar
    It's also worth noting that the ONLY reason W's approval rating is so high is because of 9/11. It's also why we have to deal with Rudy G to this very day. I'm so sick and tired of wars and disasters making us think we suddenly must approve of shitty leaders.

Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    While I'm not going to DEFEND him by any means, I am just tired of all anti-Clinton stuff. and you know what else? Criticisms either of them deserve go out the window because it's been 25+ years of this. I'm exhausted.
    I agree, but all he had to say was "I dealt with this 20 years ago and I've moved on. I hurt many people, I feel terrible about that, and I've tried to learn from that, but it's in the past. Let's talk about what we came here to talk about, our new book." and be done with it.

I refuse to give Clinton a pass and don't believe he ought to be immune from criticism, regardless of how much time has passed or how much the GOP has complained about him. Monica Lewinsky continues to endure the most epic slut-shaming in the history of humankind. Fuck him and fuck his bullshit response.

If there is ANYTHING from the past 50 years that deserves to be rehashed and viewed through the #metoo #timesup lens, it's the Clinton/Lewinsky scandal.

Proposal for one-piece swimsuit emoji draws fierce blowback from male coders

“I have nothing against bikinis. I have worn them. But not every woman or girl wants to wear one, and they should have the ability to make another choice,” explained Hutchinson in an interview with The New York Times. “I wanted my girls, when they got old enough to have their own smartphones, to be able to see both, side by side.”

Tow members of the International Organization for Standardization, Michael Everson and Andrew West, have spoken out against the one-piece emoji — deriding it as unnecessary and mockingly asking whether “a Victorian bathing costume” should also be included. Asked about the criticism, Hutchinson described their response as “archaic” and reflective of the dominance of “male coders, male feedback providers — men who sit on the committee.”

^Half of me thinks that the "Victorian bathing costume" response was obnoxious and needlessly condescending. The other half of me is wondering why, of all the causes you can fight for, you'd choose to crusade against the bikini emoji. As if the lack of a one-piece emoji is the root of all oppression. That's a lot of gravitas to give to tiny frivolous illustrations on your phone. Why are people still waging these micro battles when we're losing the war?

Quote Originally Posted by plastic•husband View Post
    ^Half of me thinks that the "Victorian bathing costume" response was obnoxious and needlessly condescending. The other half of me is wondering why, of all the causes you can fight for, you'd choose to crusade against the bikini emoji. As if the lack of a one-piece emoji is the root of all oppression. That's a lot of gravitas to give to tiny frivolous illustrations on your phone. Why are people still waging these micro battles when we're losing the war?
    I looked at it like "we're redesigning and adding new ones all the time. While we're at it, let's add a one piece. Shouldn't be a problem." Then they had to dudebro it up.

I can imagine it being not a big deal until some guy tells you no, then it because A Thing.

I've felt that way a lot in real life. Notice something sexist and stupid, mention it casually to get it fixed, get blown off, and THEN become pissed off.

And I agree it's a stupid little thing, but that kind of makes the refusal to tweak it even more stupid and petty.

Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    I looked at it like "we're redesigning and adding new ones all the time. While we're at it, let's add a one piece. Shouldn't be a problem." Then they had to dudebro it up.
    Right? Like...who fucking cares? It's a one piece bikini emoji. Just code it and move on with your day.

Also, I think this is where I should post some stupid shit I saw a couple days ago. So, FB is always suggesting friends. I'll check out their profile and if they look cool and we share friends, I'll add them. I know this one women that way. Maybe a week or two ago, she posts something about her always hearing a certain part of town was bad (a predominately black area), but after getting off at the wrong exit, she "finally see what they mean...hahaha." Yeah...funny. I've lived here pretty much my whole like, so I'm aware of the parts of town that get flack and what demographic lives where. So I know this area from that, but also cause I went to middle/high school in that area for 6 years and Tristan went to high school in the area too. I reply, "I know it might get a bad wrap, but it's really not a bad area. It's just a bit run down cause it's an older area and there's not a lot of money there." She was like "No, it was bad". Woman! I just told you that I'm very familiar with the area and you're gonna come up in here and act like you know what's going on based on one off ramp exit?? GTFO!
    So that was the one thing that I noticed, but whatever. She's younger and I can see how a woman might be more scared in a situation like that. Well, a couple of days ago, she posted a "movie poster" spoof on Saving Private Ryan, titled "Switching Ryan's Privates" with a photoshop of Kaitlyn Jenner, Chelsea Manning, and some other woman I didn't recognize, in Army uniforms. Then, there was a picture of Barack Obama off to the side. Subtitled "Is it a mission...a man...???" Her caption was "OMG hahahahaha!". First off...I have no clue what they were trying to do. I mean, obviously make fun of trans people. But it was 1st grade level shit. "What are you? A man? A woman? Hahaha!" What are you...10?? If you're gonna make fun of people, try harder. People who are struggling with their gender, who deal with bullying and physical assaults, and who have killed themselves over it. Oh, that's fucking hilarious!! And WTF does Obama have to do with it? It was just such a weak and ignorant attempt at hatefulness. I just replied "I don't get it", hoping she'd put her vitriolic explanation in black and white so other could see her transphobia, but she didn't reply. No one else replied or liked it...so I guess that was good. But Jesus. At this point, the only reason I'm going to stay friends with her is to troll her.
    Sorry...I'm still astounded and wanted to vent a little.

@perky...no, I came into here to post about a woman who posted something sexist on FB. Ins't that what this thread is for? Examples of sexism?
    If not, you can tell me here instead of giving me a red dot.

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    There is nothing classier than complaining about red dots.

Quote Originally Posted by Perky Compson View Post
    There is nothing classier than complaining about red dots.
    There's nothing classier about giving red dots when you could easily address me directly about why my post aggravated you. I was under the impression that we're all adults here. No?