Page 72 of 74 FirstFirst ... 22627071727374 LastLast
Results 1,066 to 1,080 of 1099

Thread: Sexism

trapped in the worst timeline just owls's Avatar
    I don't even know what thread to put this in, but what the fucking fuck?

http://www.newsweek.com/womens-right...ination-628538

Missouri’s Senate is considering legislation that would allow employers and landlords to discriminate against women who use birth control or have had abortions. The bill, which has the support of the state’s governor, Eric Greitens, was approved by the Missouri House Tuesday.

This would mean that landlords could refuse to offer housing to women based on their reproductive health choices, while employers could fire female staff members who were using birth control, or refuse to hire them. And while of course this isn't information most landlords or employers have access to, under SB 5 they could ask women what forms of reproductive health care they are using.

But the state could run into difficulties enforcing the law if signed. As Feministing reports, the Federal Pregnancy Discrimination Act prevents discrimination against women who have had an abortion. The act, however, makes no mention of birth control.

Burn it down. Seriously. Burn it all down. This country is so fucked up. All the conservative people I know rant about Sharia Law but they're perfectly fine with their own religious extremism here.

Like terrorism, it's OK to oppress women as long as you're not brown. Every time I click on one of these news stories, I keep hoping I accidentally found my way to The Onion. I am constantly surprised, somehow, at just how much these flaccid fucks hate women and how threatened they are.

WHAT IN THE FUCKING FUCK FUCKERY IS THIS

In Arkansas, Women Will Need Permission From Men To Get Abortions

A recently passed bill, H.B. 1566, is a provision under the Arkansas Final Disposition Rights Act of 2009, which states that, in the matter of a person’s death, family members have to agree on what to do with the deceased person’s body.

H.B. 1566 includes aborted fetuses into that Act, which means that both the mother and the father of the fetus will have to agree on what to do with fetal remains, thus requiring a woman to tell whoever impregnated her that she’s planning on having an abortion. Both parties will have to agree on what to do with the remains.

This law could also apply to women impregnated by abusive partners, and those impregnated after a sexual assault. (For women under the age of 18, the decision about what to do with the fetal remains will be deferred to her parents or guardians.)

I have no idea where else to post this, but I need your help, peeps.
    For my master's thesis I have created a survey on the offensiveness of (sexist) slurs in American English. So if you're U.S.-American, you're kindly invited to take part in the survey which only takes about 5-10 minutes. All you need to do is read sentences with slurs in them and rate their offensiveness. Here is the link:

https://www.soscisurvey.de/poohssap/

Thanks so much in advance!

PS: If you have any other ideas on how I can reach Americans for this survey, don't hesitate to tell me!
    Last edited by Tashelorette; 09-14-2017 at 10:52 AM.

A little update:

Thank you everyone who took part in the survey!

We're still missing a lot of straight male, gay male, lesbian, as well as generally younger (up to 29yo) respondents in our sample.

If you want to help, you can share the link with other people. The data so far shows me that it actually takes only about 3 minutes to complete.

America is forcing young, female, undocumented minors who seek shelter in this country to keep their rape babies:

Court won't hear case of undocumented teenager seeking abortion access

A federal court has refused to hear the case of a pregnant 17-year-old undocumented immigrant at the center of a legal dispute over whether unaccompanied immigrant minors have the right to an abortion in the United States.

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/10...after-federal/

A federal court has refused to hear the case of a pregnant 17-year-old undocumented immigrant at the center of a legal dispute over whether unaccompanied immigrant minors have the right to an abortion in the United States.

After being caught by immigration authorities, Jane Doe, as she's referred to in court filings, is currently at a shelter in Brownsville in the custody of the Office of Refugee Resettlement, a federal agency responsible for refugees and unaccompanied undocumented minors. Doe is seeking an emergency court order authorizing her to access abortion services after the federal office blocked her from attending a pre-abortion medical appointment, according to Susan Hays, legal director of Jane's Due Process, a nonprofit that provides legal representation for pregnant minors in Texas.

In a hearing Wednesday in a U.S. District Court in San Francisco, the American Civil Liberties Union tried to add Doe to a June 2016 case against the federal government – then run by the Obama administration – for allegedly allowing some religiously affiliated shelters to impose their religion on minors by prohibiting their access to abortion.

the California judge denied the request, arguing that she couldn't hear Doe's case because Doe is in Texas. However, the judge did say that "the government has no business blocking Jane Doe's abortion," said Brigitte Amiri, senior staff attorney with the American Civil Liberties Union Reproductive Freedom Project, in a statement after the ruling.

“Today’s District Court ruling comes as a serious disappointment, because it delays Jane Doe’s abortion even further,” Amiri said. "Jane Doe has already been blocked by the Trump administration from two appointments related to her abortion care. But she has shown tremendous courage and persistence, and we’re not giving up."

Both the ACLU and Jane's Due Process informed that they would continue to pursue a court ruling requiring the Office of Refugee Resettlement to let Doe leave the shelter to get the abortion she wants.

Hays said Doe already has the court authorization required for the procedure itself. Under Texas law, minors need their parents' permission or a court order to get an abortion.

"On Sept. 28, she was scheduled to go get her options counseling and state law-mandated sonogram by the same physician that will perform the abortion," Hays said. The young woman was scheduled for an abortion the next day.

But the Office of Refugee Resettlement refused to let Doe leave the shelter to go to the clinic, even accompanied by her guardian and attorney ad litem — the people who are appointed by a judge to be responsible for minors in her situation.

According to Hays, instead of going to the abortion clinic, Jane Doe was forced to go to a Crisis Pregnancy Center, where minors get counseling directed to dissuade them from having abortions.

"The shelter is under orders from the Office of Refugee Resettlement not to allow Jane Doe to access abortion," said ACLU attorney Brigitte Amiri in an interview with the Texas Tribune. She added that the agency refused to transport the minor themselves. "They are effectively holding her hostage."

Even though the ACLU's original suit was filed against the Obama administration, the organization argues that the Trump administration is now adopting a policy that directly prevents unaccompanied immigrant minors from obtaining abortions. "This is the federal agency with Trump appointees making this decisions," Amiri said.

In response to ACLU's attempt to add Doe to the case, Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton filed an amicus brief in the San Francisco U.S. District Court to defend "the federal government’s right to deny access to abortion services to an unlawfully-present minor alien in Texas," according to a Tuesday news release sent out by his office. Louisiana, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio, Oklahoma, and South Carolina joined Texas in the brief.

“If ‘Doe’ prevails in this case, the ruling will create a right to abortion for anyone on earth who enters the U.S. illegally. And with that right, countless others undoubtedly would follow," Paxton said in the release, adding that "Texas must not become a sanctuary state for abortions.”

Amiri said Paxton's statement was "absurd" and "offensive" and said that it trivializes the conditions that cause unaccompanied minors to flee from their country, which can include abuse, violence and torture.

"60 to 80% of women are raped coming across the border," said Amiri. "I don't know why anyone would risk their lives and that kind of assault to come to this country solely for the purpose of trying to obtain an abortion."

According to news reports, Jane Doe is from Central America. Her hearing was held as the Trump administration is making a new push to have undocumented Central Americans returned to their home countries faster once they are apprehended by or turn themselves in to law enforcement.

Current law requires that unaccompanied minors from countries other than Mexico or Canada be processed by the federal government and placed with a relative or family member before they appear in immigration court.

Trump has insisted that the issue be included in a variety of immigration and border security overhauls he said Congress must consider before he moves forward with legislation to grant young undocumented immigrants, commonly known as "Dreamers," legal status.

“These loopholes in current law create a dramatic pull factor for additional illegal immigration and in recent years, there has been a significant increase in the apprehensions of [unaccompanied minors] at our southern border,” a fact sheet from the Department of Homeland Security states.

After 2014, the year more than 68,500 unaccompanied children illegally crossed the southwest border into the United States, the number dipped to about 40,000 in 2015. The figures include about 50,000 and 23,800 children that crossed into Texas through the Border Patrol’s Rio Grande Valley sector, respectively. In 2016 the total number jumped to about 60,000, including 36,700 in the Rio Grande Valley sector, according to Customs and Border Protection statistics.

UPDATE: A federal judge ordered the government to allow the teenager in the above case to get an abortion, "promptly and without delay." Now it remains to be seen whether her jailers are willing to transport her or temporarily release her so she can be taken to the nearest abortion clinic by somebody else.

My state (Maryland) is one of just SIX states where there is no way to terminate a rapist's parental rights. Last year, there was legislation put forward to end their parental rights, and an all-male panel of Democrats let it die in committee. Why? Because certain Democratic legislators in this state feel more beholden to their trial lawyer cronies than to their constituents.

Don't mistake our constituents as a bunch of redneck hicks with a religious agenda. Maryland is the richest state in the union. It's one of the two most Democratic states in America. People come from all over the country to raise and educate their children here.

It's very disheartening to know that it's not just religious dogma at work here: seems like too many men in power are totally willing to ignore a woman's right to plan her own life if they think they can make a buck at our expense.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    Less than 20 pages into her memoir about her career in politics, Alyssa Mastromonaco — former White House Deputy Chief of Staff to President Barack Obama — describes one of her favorite achievements: Getting a tampon dispenser installed in the West Wing bathroom. “If we were truly serious about running a diverse operation and bringing more women into politics,” she writes, “we should give the office a basic level of comfort for them. Even if you had to pay a quarter, it would be better than menstruating all over the Oval.”

Q: I want to start where your book starts, which is with your legacy: The tampon dispenser in the West Wing bathroom. You write about how there wasn’t one when you really needed it, that you made it your mission to have one installed, and as soon as you brought it up, there was “no objection” to your idea. (And that you announced the installment of this dispenser during a senior staff meeting in the Roosevelt Room.) Why was it so important for you to include this story?

A: Well, the real lesson — and in the book, I went through the lessons I wanted to impart — was not that I’m a fucking genius, but that the reason it had probably never happened before is because no one thought to ask the question. The one thing Barack Obama always encouraged, and we always tried to do, was just ask questions. He was really the essence of ‘there are no stupid questions.’ So I wanted to put it in the beginning to show people: Just ask questions. And you might even get a tampon machine.

Q: As you say, the reason there was no tampon dispenser in the White House was simply because no one had thought about it. I’m curious how much institutional sexism you think is the result of that kind of lack of thought, as opposed to outright malice.

A: My view is, they don’t give it any thought. I don’t think it’s malice. But not considering an entire sex that needs tampons and maxi pads, it’s like, is not thinking about it some form of malice unto itself? For me, what I have learned is that nobody wants to talk about tampons and getting their period in the workplace. We talk about it, blog about it, tweet about it, but in the workplace, no one wants to talk about it. So I literally wanted to do nothing but talk about it.

The other day I was here at A+E, I didn’t have any tampons in my bag, and I went to the bathroom and we didn’t have them there either! I just walked into the bathroom and now we have a canister with that stuff in it. But is there anything worse?
    JFC. It was 2009 and you couldn't get a tampon in the West Wing? And yeah, I'm sure no one was like "*Evil laugh* let's let those bitches free bleed," but just that it occurred to no one to install one, that no woman felt comfortable speaking up. It's the little things that like that that show passive sexism is ENTRENCHED. Little things that say "You're not really welcome here."
    I didn't think I'd have to update this fucking post, but apparently Trump is leaving no tampon unturned in his quest to erase every. single. thing. Obama did.

Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    This story is so fucking ridiculous. Now the DOJ is appealing. They want to FORCE this young woman to give birth. Unreal.
    Thank goodness, she was able to have the procedure yesterday.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...r-court-ruling

The 17-year-old undocumented immigrant at the center of a high-profile legal fight over abortion underwent the procedure on Wednesday, a day after a US appeals court overruled the Trump administration’s objections, her lawyers said.

“I made my decision and that is between me and God. Through all of this, I have never changed my mind,” the girl, held in federal custody in Texas, said in a statement issued by her lawyers at the American Civil Liberties Union.

The US court of appeals for the District of Columbia circuit ruled on Tuesday that the girl, whose name and nationality have not been disclosed but who was referred to as “Jane Doe” in court papers, could have an abortion immediately, rejecting the administration’s opposition.

“Justice prevailed today for Jane Doe. But make no mistake about it, the administration’s efforts to interfere in women’s decisions won’t stop with Jane,” said ACLU lawyer Brigitte Amiri.

Texas’s Republican attorney general, Ken Paxton, who backed the administration in the case, said it was well established that undocumented immigrants did not have the same constitutional rights as US citizens.

“Life and the constitution are sacred. We lost some of both today,” Paxton said.

By quickly having the abortion, the girl prevented the administration from potentially continuing the legal fight at the conservative-leaning US supreme court. She was about 15 weeks pregnant.

A justice department spokesman had no immediate comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    And just under the wire too....they made this go on so long that she was at 15 weeks. I HATE THESE ASSHOLES. Getting this done before 12 weeks keeps it in first trimester and its far less traumatic. A second trimester abortion is not easy peasy and is going to complicate her recovery and her hormones dramatically. I hate these motherfuckers with every breath in my being. That girl has been through a horrible trauma, and her strength through it is inspiring. A lot of of girls would have folded and continued the pregnancy.

I think it shows that they really don't care about the fetus at all. We already knew they don't care about the woman's health, but this faux-compassion for the fetus, for all the unborn, is a joke. They made her wait, which made the whole ordeal that much worse. This is not about the sanctity of life, this is not about compassion. I truly believe that many pro-lifers DO care about the women/unborn children going through this and DO have compassion for them. But these MALE, MAJORITY WHITE, privileged politicians? Give me a break. These are men that would happily, (though secretly) get their mistresses abortions with no qualms of conscience. The hypocrisy is astounding.
    Last edited by madworld; 10-28-2017 at 05:08 PM.

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    I've complained a bit in recent times about sexual intimidation on the street. So, in my city, a shocking 84% of the female inhabitants reported suffer from verbal or physical sexual intimidation on the street. This is not looking and whistling mind you, but such heavy intimidation that would cause someone to avoid the place in the future.

This week, the municipal government reacted to that by releasing a quick alert app to report light intimidation where no direct contact with police is necessary, like improper whispering, whisteling and words, summarized as "dick talk". For heavy intimidation a 112-button is present (911 equivalent). It is anonymous and you can simply report location, or also place a comment. This will signal specially trained officers, who may check it out, when locations are heavily reported law enforcement will be tightened.

Come january, local laws will change too, so that hissing, following people, calling out to people, sexual remarks and the like are all subject to fines. There is even talk of undercover bait officers.
    All in all, this makes me very happy; 1) it will be safer on the street 2) officially reporting just became anynomous and WAY easier.
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

I guess this could go in one of the politics threads, but as I can't decide if it's a GOP or Dem story, I figured it goes well here.

Why Mitt Romney isn’t being told to move on
    Clinton and Romney are very similar, to a certain point.

Mitt Romney on Friday announced that he is running for US Senate to represent the state of Utah. He is a formidable candidate with a good chance of winning the Republican nomination and, achieving that, a great chance of winning the general election. Strangely, however, he is not being told to “move on” with his life, unlike another recent failed presidential candidate.

The parallels between Romney and Hillary Clinton are actually pretty striking. Both were born in 1947. Both ran for president twice, losing party nominations the first time around and winning them the second time but losing in a close general election. Both had significant government service prior to seeking the presidency (she as a senator, he as a governor), and both have close family ties to politics (she’s the wife of a president; he’s the son of a governor and 1968 presidential candidate). Both are well-educated, highly intelligent, articulate, and financially successful. Both have been portrayed as possible national saviors from Donald Trump’s worst excesses, but also as somewhat flawed in this mission, having courted his favor earlier in their careers.

Only Clinton, however, has been the target of a multi-year, bipartisan effort to get her to leave politics.

All that said, it’s really hard to rule out sexism here as a causal factor. Those who doubt this might note, as FiveThirtyEight recently did, that political journalists and observers have been calling for years for Nancy Pelosi to step down as the Democrats’ House leader but have not issued such calls for the resignation of Mitch McConnell or Paul Ryan, who are both less popular and less successful as legislative leaders.

They might note that Ruth Bader Ginsburg has been repeatedly urged to retire from the Supreme Court while Stephen Breyer, who is close to her in age, ideology, and length of service, has not.

They might observe, as John Anderson did last year, that other recent failed presidential aspirants — including John Kerry, John Edwards, Al Gore, and even Richard Nixon — went on to write books or otherwise weigh in on politics long after their losses without receiving the same kind of pushback Clinton has faced.
    I do think the difference between Romney and Clinton is that people HATE her more than him. But is that hatred of her, the passes that sentient robot gets, based in sexist roots? Do people hate her because they hate smart women? Does he get a pass because mediocre rich white men always get a pass?

Why Some Winter Olympic Sports Are "Faster, Higher, Stronger" For Men Only

Ah, the Winter Olympics, when the world’s best athletes compete on a seemingly level playing field for the glory of an Olympic medal. But while the medals given out are surely the same, the events themselves actually aren’t quite as equal as they may seem when it comes to gender.

It’s 2018 and we see some men’s events that still don’t have a women’s equivalent at all. (Ski jumping off the large hill? Doubles luge? Not for women.) And some events have totally different rules for women than for men, like shorter distances covered in skiing and some speed skating events. Then there was the women’s Snowboard Slopestyle competition, which ended up differing in format itself thanks to a seemingly totally arbitrary decision.