Page 79 of 79 FirstFirst ... 2969777879
Results 1,171 to 1,180 of 1180

Thread: Sexism

Quote Originally Posted by spyk_ View Post
    It's also ridiculous to suggest that people are incapable of imagining themselves in other people's shoes and sympathising with them, even to a minor degree.
    This "intersects" (hahahahaha) with how much I hate it when someone tells you that you "can't" write a story about something unless you have personal experience with it. Um, it's called the imagination, assholes. It's the entire basis of storytelling in the first fucking place. Holy Moses. Experiential narrative already has a category. It's called reportage/nonfiction/journalism/literary journalism. Look it up.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

testosterone-laden drunken moogle Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beulah Land View Post
    I too appreciate honest and realistic entertainment. Stephen is brutal in his descriptions of abuse. I think it's a disturbing trend nowadays to treat minorities with kid gloves.

HOLY WALL OF TEXT PART 1

Ai, Tolosa e Provensa, e la terra d’Argensa, Besièrs e Carcassei, quo vos vi e quo'us vei!‎

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    GamerGate is wrong. If you're on their side you're just plain wrong. There is no "listening" needed by anti-GGers. It's a false equivalency. That's like saying people need to listen to WBC during their anti-gay protests.

Why violence against women is a problem in video games is that it's usually sexualized violence in games that do not have any positive portrayals of women and the games are almost completely designed by men. It's not any ONE game that makes video gaming not a safe space for women. It's that there are SO many games like that. Just because you can say "Meh, the violence in that game doesn't bother me" doesn't mean that you support GG.

GG is a specific problem, where a woman was accused of sleeping with a reviewer for good press by a vindictive ex. People got all wound up that this was somehow a big problem and Feminist Frequency got sucked in because at the same time she was releasing critical reviews that made these assholes froth at the mouth. Even FF is not advocating censorship or anything. She is just saying "hey, look at all the times you can stab a naked woman! Isn't that kind of gross?" You can agree with her or disagree, think her methodology is weak or her thesis lacking. But fucking doxxing supporters and people who say GGers are acting trollish? Sending DEATH THREATS? That's bullshit.

It is perfectly fine to disagree with FF, but GG is a nightmare. Its new favorite thing is outing trans people. They do not have a point, they do not have a good message. They are a hate group pretending to be something else.

Yeah the whole Gamergate situation has become a hot fucking mess. At first, I did find certain things in video gaming to be problematic with misogyny/sexism after watching Anita Sarkeesian's videos. She makes a very compelling argument but after awhile you feel like she's showing you what she wants you to see. It leaves a lot out. I think video games are incredibly violent across the board, not just against female characters. Whether that's a good or bad thing I'm not sure because I love honest entertainment. I do love violent media, not gonna lie. I do think it's incredibly unfair that video games get the brunt of criticism while the problems in other forms of entertainment go unchecked or are dismissed as realism or art. While I don't really know where I stand anymore on the issues found in video games, I am not in doubt about the extremely disturbing issue of how female gamers/developers/programmers are being treated on social media. The threats made against them are the true problem. That's what needs to be addressed and dealt with.

Problem is that truly great female game designers are absolutely ignored. I'm not on anyone's side myself. It looks like some of the pro-Gamergate-peops are genuinely trying to expose corruption in gaming journalism. It looks like some of the anti-Gamergate-peops are genuinely trying to expose sexism in gaming industry. It annoyingly always results in people talking about two related but different things, namely;
    1. sexism in the gaming community (not industry)
    2. in-game sexism

HOLY WALL OF TEXT PART II

ETA: Ah sorry, just needed to get it all off my chest. Spoiler wrapped all my ranting about great ladies in vidja games. I want to be a feminist, where do I starts?
    Ai, Tolosa e Provensa, e la terra d’Argensa, Besièrs e Carcassei, quo vos vi e quo'us vei!‎

Yeah I saw that award/speech at the Game Awards and it was wonderful. They really helped shape the world of gaming. Really excited for the new King's Quest.

america last
    Last edited by Andrew; 03-01-2015 at 10:28 PM.

w/e
    Last edited by Spikey; 03-02-2015 at 07:52 AM. Reason: I was an attention whoring total bitch, so removed.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Less than 20 pages into her memoir about her career in politics, Alyssa Mastromonaco — former White House Deputy Chief of Staff to President Barack Obama — describes one of her favorite achievements: Getting a tampon dispenser installed in the West Wing bathroom. “If we were truly serious about running a diverse operation and bringing more women into politics,” she writes, “we should give the office a basic level of comfort for them. Even if you had to pay a quarter, it would be better than menstruating all over the Oval.”

Q: I want to start where your book starts, which is with your legacy: The tampon dispenser in the West Wing bathroom. You write about how there wasn’t one when you really needed it, that you made it your mission to have one installed, and as soon as you brought it up, there was “no objection” to your idea. (And that you announced the installment of this dispenser during a senior staff meeting in the Roosevelt Room.) Why was it so important for you to include this story?

A: Well, the real lesson — and in the book, I went through the lessons I wanted to impart — was not that I’m a fucking genius, but that the reason it had probably never happened before is because no one thought to ask the question. The one thing Barack Obama always encouraged, and we always tried to do, was just ask questions. He was really the essence of ‘there are no stupid questions.’ So I wanted to put it in the beginning to show people: Just ask questions. And you might even get a tampon machine.

Q: As you say, the reason there was no tampon dispenser in the White House was simply because no one had thought about it. I’m curious how much institutional sexism you think is the result of that kind of lack of thought, as opposed to outright malice.

A: My view is, they don’t give it any thought. I don’t think it’s malice. But not considering an entire sex that needs tampons and maxi pads, it’s like, is not thinking about it some form of malice unto itself? For me, what I have learned is that nobody wants to talk about tampons and getting their period in the workplace. We talk about it, blog about it, tweet about it, but in the workplace, no one wants to talk about it. So I literally wanted to do nothing but talk about it.

The other day I was here at A+E, I didn’t have any tampons in my bag, and I went to the bathroom and we didn’t have them there either! I just walked into the bathroom and now we have a canister with that stuff in it. But is there anything worse?
    JFC. It was 2009 and you couldn't get a tampon in the West Wing? And yeah, I'm sure no one was like "*Evil laugh* let's let those bitches free bleed," but just that it occurred to no one to install one, that no woman felt comfortable speaking up. It's the little things that like that that show passive sexism is ENTRENCHED. Little things that say "You're not really welcome here."

And in the evening it's. . . Andrea's Avatar
    http://www.nationalpartnership.org/r...e-wage-gap.pdf

National Partnership for Women and Families released info on the wage gap by state. Not very many surprises here. Also shows the disparity for WOC is even greater. again no surprises there.

The other day I got into an argument with a 16 year old student who thinks the wage gap is a liberal conspiracy theory. How to do I even respond to that?