Page 71 of 73 FirstFirst ... 21616970717273 LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 1092

Thread: Sexism

  1. #1051
    Senior Member JAE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,290
    Quote Originally Posted by The Markness View Post
    I am growing more and more disturbed by the seemingly "liberal" blogosphere's penchant for acting like the Thought Police. (Tori peeps, plz insert AATS jokes here).
    100%. I find myself more frustrated at the left than I do at the right these days. It's just so self-defeating - focus on winning the important arguments.

  2. #1052
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,387
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathan View Post
    omg aisha tyler was friends for like 9 episodes why do you hate america
    AND dating a white guy!!!

  3. #1053
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,281
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    Yeah if books would only be filled with correctness, it would be a boring world. Worse, if one would only be allowed to read and enjoy "correct" texts, where the f is the fun in that. If I would sympathize with everything I find enjoyable to read, I would make me a good sociapath for sure. It by Stephen King is one of my favorite books, and I always highly enjoy the detailed gruesome gay bashing / killing scene as well as all the scenes where a woman is physically abused by her husband. It is entertainment, without hidden agenda. If you don't like it, don't read it.
    Don't forget the underage gang bang (It is my favorite book of all time).

    I too appreciate honest and realistic entertainment. Stephen is brutal in his descriptions of abuse. I think it's a disturbing trend nowadays to treat minorities with kid gloves. Especially from those who are not of that minority and take offense on their behalf. I feel it reinforces stereotypes that minorities can't handle criticism or a joke or satire etc. That they are less than, unable to defend themselves or cannot appreciate things dictated by context, circumstance or nuance. I definitely believe there is a huge difference between standing up for true injustice vs. this online SJ mob culture.
    Last edited by Beulah Land; 02-27-2015 at 06:37 PM.

  4. #1054
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,387
    Quote Originally Posted by The Markness View Post
    If you're telling me that I can't articulate an argument without making ABSOLUTELY SURE that I address EVERY SINGLE POSSIBLE DISENFRANCHISED NUANCE, you're both an idiot and a dick. That is not humanly possible, and it is also not anyone's rhetorical responsibility. Your rhetorical responsibility is as follows:

    a) try as best you can within the limits of context, human reason, and human empathy to consider all angles of your stance as it pertains to RELEVANT considerations.
    b) argue your stance with as much integrity, modesty, and forthrightness as you can muster.

    If you spend all your time fretting over what this one or that one may think, you'll never argue anything at all. Yes, social commentary and social behavior should come with a healthy dose of forethought and self awareness, but this idea that none of us can say ANYTHING unless it's absolutely pitch-perfect white-bread "acceptable" is utter bullshit.

    I am growing more and more disturbed by the seemingly "liberal" blogosphere's penchant for acting like the Thought Police. (Tori peeps, plz insert AATS jokes here).
    I was having an argument on Reddit over the Eleanor Roosevelt quote (well, a quote that's attributed to her) "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent", saying that, as white, privileged person, she really didn't know oppression and discrimination enough to be able to say something like that. Soooo, a woman living in the late 1800s and early 1900s didn't deal with discrimination and oppression? At what level are you oppressed enough to where what you say has merit?

  5. #1055
    'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,834
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    I was having an argument on Reddit over the Eleanor Roosevelt quote (well, a quote that's attributed to her) "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent", saying that, as white, privileged person, she really didn't know oppression and discrimination enough to be able to say something like that. Soooo, a woman living in the late 1800s and early 1900s didn't deal with discrimination and oppression? At what level are you oppressed enough to where what you say has merit?
    Anyone can feel oppressed, even if they belong to a social group that is perceived to hold a lot of privilege. Obviously if you're talking about civil or social rights then you need to examine things in a wider context (something that people like men's rights activists fail to do), but on an individual level you can't tidy life experiences away into boxes depending on which section or group a person belongs to. Doing so is pure sectarianism, and is fighting using the weapons of bigots. The whole point of social and civil rights is to say people are individuals with unpredictable inner-lives and feelings. It's also ridiculous to suggest that people are incapable of imagining themselves in other people's shoes and sympathising with them, even to a minor degree.

  6. #1056
    Quote Originally Posted by spyk_ View Post
    It's also ridiculous to suggest that people are incapable of imagining themselves in other people's shoes and sympathising with them, even to a minor degree.
    This "intersects" (hahahahaha) with how much I hate it when someone tells you that you "can't" write a story about something unless you have personal experience with it. Um, it's called the imagination, assholes. It's the entire basis of storytelling in the first fucking place. Holy Moses. Experiential narrative already has a category. It's called reportage/nonfiction/journalism/literary journalism. Look it up.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

  7. #1057
    Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Snarkletown
    Posts
    3,209
    Quote Originally Posted by Beulah Land View Post
    I too appreciate honest and realistic entertainment. Stephen is brutal in his descriptions of abuse. I think it's a disturbing trend nowadays to treat minorities with kid gloves.

    HOLY WALL OF TEXT PART 1

    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

  8. #1058
    Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    9,843
    GamerGate is wrong. If you're on their side you're just plain wrong. There is no "listening" needed by anti-GGers. It's a false equivalency. That's like saying people need to listen to WBC during their anti-gay protests.

    Why violence against women is a problem in video games is that it's usually sexualized violence in games that do not have any positive portrayals of women and the games are almost completely designed by men. It's not any ONE game that makes video gaming not a safe space for women. It's that there are SO many games like that. Just because you can say "Meh, the violence in that game doesn't bother me" doesn't mean that you support GG.

    GG is a specific problem, where a woman was accused of sleeping with a reviewer for good press by a vindictive ex. People got all wound up that this was somehow a big problem and Feminist Frequency got sucked in because at the same time she was releasing critical reviews that made these assholes froth at the mouth. Even FF is not advocating censorship or anything. She is just saying "hey, look at all the times you can stab a naked woman! Isn't that kind of gross?" You can agree with her or disagree, think her methodology is weak or her thesis lacking. But fucking doxxing supporters and people who say GGers are acting trollish? Sending DEATH THREATS? That's bullshit.

    It is perfectly fine to disagree with FF, but GG is a nightmare. Its new favorite thing is outing trans people. They do not have a point, they do not have a good message. They are a hate group pretending to be something else.

  9. #1059
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,281
    Yeah the whole Gamergate situation has become a hot fucking mess. At first, I did find certain things in video gaming to be problematic with misogyny/sexism after watching Anita Sarkeesian's videos. She makes a very compelling argument but after awhile you feel like she's showing you what she wants you to see. It leaves a lot out. I think video games are incredibly violent across the board, not just against female characters. Whether that's a good or bad thing I'm not sure because I love honest entertainment. I do love violent media, not gonna lie. I do think it's incredibly unfair that video games get the brunt of criticism while the problems in other forms of entertainment go unchecked or are dismissed as realism or art. While I don't really know where I stand anymore on the issues found in video games, I am not in doubt about the extremely disturbing issue of how female gamers/developers/programmers are being treated on social media. The threats made against them are the true problem. That's what needs to be addressed and dealt with.

  10. #1060
    Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Snarkletown
    Posts
    3,209
    Problem is that truly great female game designers are absolutely ignored. I'm not on anyone's side myself. It looks like some of the pro-Gamergate-peops are genuinely trying to expose corruption in gaming journalism. It looks like some of the anti-Gamergate-peops are genuinely trying to expose sexism in gaming industry. It annoyingly always results in people talking about two related but different things, namely;
    1. sexism in the gaming community (not industry)
    2. in-game sexism

    HOLY WALL OF TEXT PART II



    ETA: Ah sorry, just needed to get it all off my chest. Spoiler wrapped all my ranting about great ladies in vidja games. I want to be a feminist, where do I starts?
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

  11. #1061
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,281
    Yeah I saw that award/speech at the Game Awards and it was wonderful. They really helped shape the world of gaming. Really excited for the new King's Quest.

  12. #1062
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,009
    .
    Last edited by Andrew; 03-01-2015 at 10:28 PM.

  13. #1063
    Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Snarkletown
    Posts
    3,209
    w/e
    Last edited by Spikey; 03-02-2015 at 07:52 AM. Reason: I was an attention whoring total bitch, so removed.
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

  14. #1064
    Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    9,843
    Less than 20 pages into her memoir about her career in politics, Alyssa Mastromonaco — former White House Deputy Chief of Staff to President Barack Obama — describes one of her favorite achievements: Getting a tampon dispenser installed in the West Wing bathroom. “If we were truly serious about running a diverse operation and bringing more women into politics,” she writes, “we should give the office a basic level of comfort for them. Even if you had to pay a quarter, it would be better than menstruating all over the Oval.”

    ...

    Q: I want to start where your book starts, which is with your legacy: The tampon dispenser in the West Wing bathroom. You write about how there wasn’t one when you really needed it, that you made it your mission to have one installed, and as soon as you brought it up, there was “no objection” to your idea. (And that you announced the installment of this dispenser during a senior staff meeting in the Roosevelt Room.) Why was it so important for you to include this story?

    A: Well, the real lesson — and in the book, I went through the lessons I wanted to impart — was not that I’m a fucking genius, but that the reason it had probably never happened before is because no one thought to ask the question. The one thing Barack Obama always encouraged, and we always tried to do, was just ask questions. He was really the essence of ‘there are no stupid questions.’ So I wanted to put it in the beginning to show people: Just ask questions. And you might even get a tampon machine.

    ...

    Q: As you say, the reason there was no tampon dispenser in the White House was simply because no one had thought about it. I’m curious how much institutional sexism you think is the result of that kind of lack of thought, as opposed to outright malice.

    A: My view is, they don’t give it any thought. I don’t think it’s malice. But not considering an entire sex that needs tampons and maxi pads, it’s like, is not thinking about it some form of malice unto itself? For me, what I have learned is that nobody wants to talk about tampons and getting their period in the workplace. We talk about it, blog about it, tweet about it, but in the workplace, no one wants to talk about it. So I literally wanted to do nothing but talk about it.

    The other day I was here at A+E, I didn’t have any tampons in my bag, and I went to the bathroom and we didn’t have them there either! I just walked into the bathroom and now we have a canister with that stuff in it. But is there anything worse?
    JFC. It was 2009 and you couldn't get a tampon in the West Wing? And yeah, I'm sure no one was like "*Evil laugh* let's let those bitches free bleed," but just that it occurred to no one to install one, that no woman felt comfortable speaking up. It's the little things that like that that show passive sexism is ENTRENCHED. Little things that say "You're not really welcome here."

  15. #1065
    And in the evening it's. . . Andrea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Where it's Wild and Wonderful
    Posts
    761
    http://www.nationalpartnership.org/r...e-wage-gap.pdf

    National Partnership for Women and Families released info on the wage gap by state. Not very many surprises here. Also shows the disparity for WOC is even greater. again no surprises there.

    The other day I got into an argument with a 16 year old student who thinks the wage gap is a liberal conspiracy theory. How to do I even respond to that?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •