Page 2 of 80 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Sexism

Quote Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
    See, I wouldn't even put her at that. Girl is 5'1", and some people say more like 5' 1/2". No way she could be a size 10-12, IMO. My body didn't look anything like that when I was a size 10. I still think she's probably more like a size four, or at least still in the single digit dress sizes.
    No way. She's definitely not a size 4. She might be an 8-10 petite, maybe a 6 on top, but she's not a size 4. A size 4 is someone like Miley Cyrus before she went vegan. Mariah Carey is a size 6 and she's a fair bit smaller than Christina is now.

ETA: Do not forget that she is undoubtedly Spanxed into that dress.

Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    No way. She's definitely not a size 4. She might be an 8-10 petite, maybe a 6 on top, but she's not a size 4. A size 4 is someone like Miley Cyrus before she went vegan. Mariah Carey is a size 6 and she's a fair bit smaller than Christina is now.

ETA: Do not forget that she is undoubtedly Spanxed into that dress.
    Maybe she isn't a size 4, but I don't think she's a size 12, and is more likely in the single digits. People were saying she was a size 12 a year ago, when she was clearly (IMO) smaller than she was at the AMA's. Of course, I'm going by the measurement that a 12 is a 34" waist. I know some sizing charts have a size 12 as small as a 27" waist.

(Side note: She was arrested in 2011, and her booking report said she weighed 100 lbs., which is no where near a size 12 unless you're three feet tall, or could be pretty close to a size 12 if you lie about weighing 100 lbs! She looked like this around that time.)

Spanx or no spanx, single or double digit sizes, I think she looks damn good!

Eh, I like the dress and I think it flatters her tremendously from the front, but the side view is a bit of a disaster IMO. Clearly she is now somewhat overweight for her height and frame, but the real question is - why is that so awful and why are we supposed to care? Why is it so important that every female celebrity maintains a tiny figure when it has naff all to do with what they actually do, which in her case is sing? Why is women's weight gain or loss (it's always women's, never men, which is funny given the number of famous men sporting a perma-gut and generally looking like ageing dog's dinners) presented as a big moral issue, a cause for celebration or scolding? The moralistic tone these rags take is truly vomitous.

Also, to address the question as to why the Daily Heil is so idiotic - it's because it sells, unfortunately.

Maybe she isn't a size 4, but I don't think she's a size 12, and is more likely in the single digits. People were saying she was a size 12 a year ago, when she was clearly (IMO) smaller than she was at the AMA's. Of course, I'm going by the measurement that a 12 is a 34" waist. I know some sizing charts have a size 12 as small as a 27" waist.

(Side note: She was arrested in 2011, and her booking report said she weighed 100 lbs., which is no where near a size 12 unless you're three feet tall, or could be pretty close to a size 12 if you lie about weighing 100 lbs! She looked like this around that time.)

Spanx or no spanx, single or double digit sizes, I think she looks damn good!
    My Mom wears a petite 8-10 (she's 5'2") and she's a good bit smaller than Christina looks in that photo. Granted, my Mom doesn't wear skintight clothes, and petite sizing is quite different, but I'd definitely believe Christina is a 10 petite. She might be squeezing into an 8 petite but there's no way in hell she's a 4-6 petite.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by julius ebola View Post
    Why is women's weight gain or loss (it's always women's, never men, which is funny given the number of famous men sporting a perma-gut and generally looking like ageing dog's dinners) presented as a big moral issue, a cause for celebration or scolding?
    I really think it has to do with the media's fascination with relentlessly shaming women for how they choose to present themselves. And yes, sad to say it but the public responds accordingly with endless discussions about appearances - makeup, wigs, dress size, blah blah blah.

Regardless of whether she's a 4, or a 6, or an 8, or a 10, or a 12, the woman looks good!

I know I started it, but this discussion of what size we all think she actually is intrigues me. Why are we (self included) so obsessed about that size number? Why am I so inisistent that she can't be a double digit size? Why does it matter if she is a 12 vs. a 10, or if she is a 6 rather than a 4? Why do we care so much?

Regardless of whether she's a 4, or a 6, or an 8, or a 10, or a 12, the woman looks good!

I know I started it, but this discussion of what size we all think she actually is intrigues me. Why are we (self included) so obsessed about that size number? Why am I so inisistent that she can't be a double digit size? Why does it matter if she is a 12 vs. a 10, or if she is a 6 rather than a 4? Why do we care so much?
    I think it's a reflection of our own insecurities with our appearance, personally. At least that's what I attribute part of my fascination to. I wish I didn't care or pay attention, but I can't deny that I do. When I struggle with my weight or am dissatisfied with my body, it's comforting to see others in a very public spotlight with those same struggles and insecurities.

Kind of in relation to that, these weight struggles humanize people we often strip of their humanity. I'm not saying "boo whoo poor rich people," but it's not their fault that society rewards the kinds of talents these people choose to use professionally. By choosing to make their talent and art their living, and based on the degree of exposure that work gets, they're kind of taking on the burdens of fame in addition to the rewards.
    Last edited by Jake; 11-20-2012 at 09:42 PM.

aging hipster trash The Seaward's Avatar
    Add me to the "she looks good" camp.
    I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it.

Find a way to get in the way. MTC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    I don't think she's had any work done, either. After her pregnancy, her chest was definitely larger but that's not surprising. The weight gain also probably contributes to that, and her face looking different.
    Ah! I didn't know she had a been pregnant. That does change the way your face looks sometimes. The profile of her looks familiar. The shot of her facing the camera makes her look so different that I wouldn't have known who I was looking at without a caption.
    And the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view
    And we'll live a long life

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    I just looked her up on YouTube, because it occurred to me that I haven't seen her perform in donkey's years, and I think rather than discussing her weight we need to discuss why she still insists on sticking her fucking fingers in her ears when she sings certain notes. Seriously.

authentic hotdog cart vendor Frangipani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spyk_ View Post
    I just looked her up on YouTube, because it occurred to me that I haven't seen her perform in donkey's years, and I think rather than discussing her weight we need to discuss why she still insists on sticking her fucking fingers in her ears when she sings certain notes. Seriously.
    That girl is disney trained, i dont believe you.
    Slippin' on my red dress, putting on my make-up

Now I'm off to find recent X-Tina performances, as being home for Thanksgiving has meant that I've watched The Voice with my mom and can't quit talking about how obviously jealous/competitive she is with the girls on the show. Her critique of every girls' performance is something along the lines of " I appreciate what you were trying to do", never flat-out praising them, and every critique of the boys' has her finding some way of praising HERSELF. Example: Some guy sang Billy Joel and she talked about how cute his facial expressions were and how she probably looked so serious on stage because she was just focused on singing her face off ( her words). A VERY GOOD girl performs and she gives her a " I appreciate your emotion" and then as Cee-Lo, who is seated next to her, begins to talk about the performance ( praising her), you can see Christina in the corner of the screen yawning and looking at her nails. She just oozes bitchy to me on that show. And don't even get me started on how Bionic was just too ahead of it's time and the music buying public were just too dumb to "get it".
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

She got implants years ago, you can tell in older photos when she was very thin

Also, she's had a nose job which looks pretty obvious to me
    Last edited by mayfly; 11-21-2012 at 07:07 AM.

It's a really horrible look. First of all, what the FUCK is going on with her skin? She looks plain dirty, and I don't mean "dirrty" or whatever the fuck that song was called. That shimmery spray tan is atrocious, and it's not even properly applied; I've seen other pictures in which the area around her pits was pasty white. Then there's that wig; bangs didn't flatter her even when she was rail thin, and now, with the rounder face, they certainly don't help.

That dress makes her ass look huge. I'm not even entirely sure how that thing stands; I've seen plenty of big asses, but not cantilevered ones.

Hasn't she always been oompa-loompa orange with thick, drag-queen-esquemake-up? I mean, I don't recall her ever looking less than tacky in this regard at any given moment. Has she ever had a remotely natural-looking phase?