Page 73 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2363717273
Results 1,081 to 1,092 of 1092

Thread: Sexism

So, the thing in Toronto yesterday. Ten dead and a bunch injured. Guess what the motive was.

The thread reveals that the Toronto killer was what’s known as an “incel”, which means “involuntarily celibate”. These are like MRAs, only worse; their misogyny is rooted in that they can’t get laid. The best known incel is Elliot Rodger, who shot up a neighborhood in Isla Vista, CA (ten miles from where I live) in 2014. He died a virgin. Read the thread if you want to read a horrifying but fascinating story.

It’s not just racism. It’s not just nationalism. It’s not just nativism. It is also sexism.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    It really is.

Yep. And that sexism is part hatred of women, and part toxic, ugly conceptions of masculinity that are constantly pushed on boys and men by our society and culture. We need to stop defining men's value by the number of notches on their bed post or treating any sign of emotion or vulnerability as "effeminate" and thus unsexy. I've been seeing pseudo-Darwininian language entering into the lingo of younger guys - like "alpha" and "beta male" - and I find it pretty disturbing.

Exactly. The alpha/beta shit is very popular amongst Trumpies online. Of course, Trump is seen as alpha and liberals are seen as beta. In their eyes, the prime example of beta is Obama. So, in other words, a guy who’s faithful to his wife and involved with his kids is beta, and the lying, cheating asshole who fucks around when HIS WIFE IS NURSING THEIR CHILD is a Real Man.

Trump has fucked up this country in a multitude of ways. His poisoning of our culture is one of the worst.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Steve SFM View Post

Trump has fucked up this country in a multitude of ways. His poisoning of our culture is one of the worst.
    Not that I hate him any less than you, but I don't see him as the problem with our culture. I see him as the embodiment of all that is wrong, the avatar of the Id. He is a symptom, not the cause. He tailored his message TO these horrifying assholes deliberately and purposely.

We knew the toxic culture better than most groups here on this forum. We just thought it was limited to certain aspects of culture (ie video game analysis warrants death threats).

Trump is a symptom not the cause.

Could somebody please put a muzzle on Bill Clinton?

Bill Clinton says he 'did the right thing' during Lewinsky scandal, hasn't apologized to her

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/04/polit...ogy/index.html

This was litigated 20 years ago. Two-thirds of the American people sided with me.

While I'm not going to DEFEND him by any means, I am just tired of all anti-Clinton stuff. and you know what else? Criticisms either of them deserve go out the window because it's been 25+ years of this. I'm exhausted.

Someone made the good point that Bill, who has been out of office FOR EIGHTEEN YEARS has been asked more about his shenanigans than Trump, who is still in office and is a coward, hiding from real reporters... and the ones who do get access don't want to lose it by asking him in their limited opportunities.

Like I know there is probably a really good point to be made about Bill's creeper legacy and all that, but I DON'T CARE. Not now. Get this psycho out of office and in prison oranges and then maybe I'll care.

Oh, also? Shouldn't he be told to just shut up and take up knitting? Cause that's all his wife is told. Clearly it can't be for failed nominees because no one tells McCain, Gore, Kerry, or Romney to take up knitting. Surely it must be a Clinton thing and not rampant misogyny?

So yeah, Bill should shut up but so should all the neverending hot takes on this.

We can be dissatisfied with how it turned out or how he's treated now as a hero but he faced legal consequences and he's not in office and and he's not running for office and his spouse is no longer running for office so can we take care of those people first? Can we go a fucking day without torches and pitchforks for a Clinton? (Not you, Nancy. I mean outside of here). Stop "both sides" this and Bill just stop making it worse.

Also, there is a poll out today that shows that Trump is more popular among Republicans at this point in his presidency than Obama was with Democrats at the same point. So the next time a Republican tries to tell you that they’re not all racist, misogynistic, serial liars who peddle conspiracy theories, remind them that a majority actually are, or at least that they’re fine with one being president.

strike every chord that you feel Owen's Avatar
    It's also worth noting that the ONLY reason W's approval rating is so high is because of 9/11. It's also why we have to deal with Rudy G to this very day. I'm so sick and tired of wars and disasters making us think we suddenly must approve of shitty leaders.

Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    While I'm not going to DEFEND him by any means, I am just tired of all anti-Clinton stuff. and you know what else? Criticisms either of them deserve go out the window because it's been 25+ years of this. I'm exhausted.
    I agree, but all he had to say was "I dealt with this 20 years ago and I've moved on. I hurt many people, I feel terrible about that, and I've tried to learn from that, but it's in the past. Let's talk about what we came here to talk about, our new book." and be done with it.

I refuse to give Clinton a pass and don't believe he ought to be immune from criticism, regardless of how much time has passed or how much the GOP has complained about him. Monica Lewinsky continues to endure the most epic slut-shaming in the history of humankind. Fuck him and fuck his bullshit response.

If there is ANYTHING from the past 50 years that deserves to be rehashed and viewed through the #metoo #timesup lens, it's the Clinton/Lewinsky scandal.