Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Won't somebody bear witness - The Ana Silvera thread

Icon15 Won't somebody bear witness - The Ana Silvera thread

Ana Silvera - The Aviary (My discovery of the year and an easy choice for album of the year)

I've been meaning to start a thread for Ana for a while. So excited to be seeing all the love for her in peoples' albums and songs of the year list!

When I heard The Aviary for the first time after seeing Ana with Imogen Heap back in February it was like hearing Little Earthquakes for the first time in that I knew it was an album I was going to love deeply and forever.

Ana Silvera - Letter from New York with Imogen Heap, ETV Choir + Holst Singers

Ana Silvera - Salome from "The Aviary"

Ana Silvera - Notes from an Opera from "The Aviary"

I Grew Up In A Room Small As A Penny - Ana Silvera (from her song cycle Oracles)

I saw spring uncombing her hair by the quays,
    Had a hundred score sailor men weak at the knees
    And she turned, and she scattered the dandelion seeds
    Made time's pulse quicken and strain at the seams

Official website
    Official YouTube channel
    Bandcamp where you can stream album and a few other bits and pieces
    Soundcloud

I've seen her 8 times this year and shot quite a few videos. Not stunning quality as just recorded with a compact or phone:

Ana Silvera - Noel Nouvelet (trad) (Green Note, London, 06/12/2012)

Ana Silvera - I Grew Up In A Room As Small As A Penny (Green Note, London, 06/12/2012)

Ana Silvera - Hyper-Ballad (Bjork) (The Firestation, Windsor, 13/10/2012)

Ana Silvera - Le Pont Mirabeau (The Firestation, Windsor, 13/10/2012)

Ana Silvera - Woodstock (Joni Mitchell) (The Cellar, Oxford, 23/06/2012)

Playlist of all my Ana videos

I think lots of you guys would love Ana so check her out if you don't know her.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

I too love seeing her name pop up on so many lists!

I've said it before but I discovered Ana because you (Beanstew) posted her album in the What Are You Listening thread. Bought the album on iTunes the day after and still love it...
    In fact, Notes from an Opera is one of my favorite songs of this year. She has a way capturing a mood, a vibe, images that remind me of old movies, a sort of melancholy.
    A real storyteller that can also pack an emotional punch without going overboard (listen to Rainbows, another favorite).

Gorgeous melodies. It doesn't hurt that she has the voice of an angel
    post28!

By the way, has Oracles ever been released?
    post28!

^ not yet. Hopefully one day soon.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

aging hipster trash The Seaward's Avatar
    FINALLY listening to this album on Rdio after meaning to do so for months, as I trust beanstew's taste implicitly.

BLOWN. AWAY. Most definitely one of the finest albums of the year. What a voice! And her compositional skills are stunning. I'm not even halfway through the album yet and I'm madly in love with it.
    I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it.

Le Pont Mirabeau - because it needs more exposure, not being on the album - Ana you sucha ding-a-ling!!!

Song of the year

Here's a great interview with Ana:

And there's this over on Wears the Trousers:

Ten Things I Didn’t Know (Before I Went And Made An Album) #1 • Ana Silvera
    A sophisticated storyteller, Ana Silvera is a homegrown artist in possession of a gloriously supple voice that suits her hyperliterate yet airy, classically-influenced piano stylings to a tee. Currently recording her first studio album in New York and London with members of Antony & The Johnsons and her uncle Ray Singer, Ana shares some words of acquired wisdom.

ONE. There are people who live in studios. They are friendly and generally uncomplaining sorts, if a little pale. They can do magical things like play around with big pictures of waves and change the way stuff sounds. Their name is ‘engineer’.

TWO. There are other, smaller people who also live in studios, known as ‘assistants’. These people fetch folks (namely hungry singers) cheese sandwiches, Korean takeaways, beer and Green & Black’s chocolate on request at any time of the day, no matter how ungodly. I like them. They also smoke roll ups and will share if you ask nicely.

THREE. Just one solitary moment during recording or mixing of thinking ‘I ought to check this out because I am not sure it sounds right’ means you should do that. Else, after a 12 hour day, you will go home and listen to the tracks for a further four hours crying into a glass of wine and cursing your stupid damn self. And then you will wake up and do it all over again.

FOUR. Working with family can, in fact, be a pleasure as well as an experience of extreme musico-telepathy. It is also fun when you live with said member of family, because they are always there to talk to when you are crying into your wine.

FIVE. Accordions are always cool. Recorders are surprisingly cool. French horns rock. String quartets rule.

SIX. Mixing will actually make you insane. How insane can be calculated like so:
    √(your mental stability in the first place) + (how closely related you are to Brian Wilson) × (units of wine consumed over the mixing period) ÷ (number of friends willing to listen to you monologue for hours about compression and EQ levels)

Mine’s about a 14. I think I got off lightly.

SEVEN. Recording in two cities is an excellent idea. I’m not sure why. It just is.†

EIGHT. All studios, no matter where, will have the following in their fridge:

• An unfinished and flat bottle of cheap prosecco.
    • Leftover chicken bhuna.
    • A unopened carton of Tropicana juice.
    • Some salad in a plastic bag that came with the bhuna.
    • A jar of lime pickle that will still exist when cockroaches have taken over the planet.

NINE. Any session, no matter how badly wrong it is going, can be resolved with the following:

• Good coffee (or even better, excellent coffee).
    • Conversation with a dear friend on 24 hour call, especially one who has access to a large supply of chocolate.††

If all else fails, run for the hills until the problem is resolved. I did.

TEN. It will make you sadder than you ever thought, and happier than you ever thought. Maybe a bit like having kids.

†Especially when the cities are London and New York. This statement might not apply if said cities were Slough and Saginaw. Not that I know anything about Saginaw, it just sounds a bit dodgy.
    She's so funny!

I wasn't expecting to like Ana's music all that much - I'd listened to samples on Amazon and felt it sounded too professional and polished - but I'm so glad I gave it a chance. It's just beautiful escapism. I can't stop listening to Tears of Oak, Fist of Willow.

A year in photos (including one of mine! ) and a new free song from Ana here.

Download/stream Painted Horizon here.

woohoo! one of mine too

^ I thought it might have been.

UK dates.

2013 Dates - More Coming Soon
    *Saturday 30th March, Snape Maltings Concert Hall, Aldeburgh - with Concerto Caledonia & Jim Moray, Olivia Chaney & John Potter
    More info here

*Monday 22nd April, Northern Embassy by Karamel Music Collective - at The Phoenix, Soho (Email to request guest list)
    Beyond Bubbie: Tales From The Kitchen: Jay Rayner + Ana Silvera + Itamar Sruolvich + Edd Kimber
    What happens when you mix savoury storytelling and nectarous nosh with a splash of schnapps? An evening of performances dedicated to food, family recipes and the stories that link them together.

Raconteurs will include Jay Rayner (Food Critic, The Observer); Singer-Songwriter Ana Silvera; Itamar Sruolvich (Owner, Honey & Co) and Edd Kimber, the Boy who Bakes. Each of our guests will share a story about food, family or something that connects the two.

All profits raised from Beyond Bubbie will be donated to The Ministry of Stories, a wonderful non-profit creative writing centre in Hoxton, East London co-founded by Nick Hornby, Lucy Macnab and Ben Payne that helps local children and young people develop their writing.

Edit.

Removed Guildford date as it is no longer happening.

Icon15

These videos of Ana with a string quartet were posted a couple of years ago but I hadn't seen them before:

My Secret Lover (called Life) by Ana Silvera with the Santiago Quartet

Song for Daniel by Ana Silvera with the Santiago Quartet

I Turn Your Heart by Ana Silvera with the Santiago Quartet

Bedlam by Ana Silvera with the Santiago Quartet

Ana Silvera - Soliloquy for Cassandra
    So some of you may have noticed I've been very quiet on the gigs/updates front recently. I can finally announce what I've been working on now - I'm absolutely thrilled to be developing a new project (as singer/composer/performer) with dancers from the Royal Ballet and co-created with two previous collaborators, whose names many of you will be familiar with - Kate Church (who directed the Oracles film, and who will also be dancing in this piece) and Kate Keara Pelen (often lending her sweet harmonies to my songs, as well as my principal photographer/ designer) alongside talented choreographer (and dancer with RB) Ludovic Ondiviela. The project's working title is 'Soliloquy for Cassandra'.

In the next blog I'll explain how this all came about plus pictures from our rehearsals! Check back soon xx
    How exciting!

Also tickets for a London gig on the 5th July are available here.

Lovely blog post by Ana with lots of photos here:
    Ana Silvera - Cassandra Project: Magic & Accident