Thread: Is Respect Earned Or Given?

Is Respect Earned Or Given?

I was out to eat today and was sitting next to a family. The family consist of a Mother, Son and Grandmother. The Child was about 12, the Mom in her 30s and Grandmom in her upper 50s or early 60s. Anyhow, the two adults were speaking and finished. The child then began to speak on how he liked the ride over to the resteraunt when his Grandmother cut across him and started speaking about a totally different subject, the child said "Grandmom I was speaking", then his mother chimned in and said : It doesn't matter, she's the adult and your the child". I was shocked.

Do You Believe in seen not heard?

Who was right, the child or grandmom?

Obviously what the grandmother did was very rude, but here I think it was acceptable, because we're supposed to respect our elders.

I'm 56 years old and I want to talk about something else. You whippersnappers will respect that fact right now or I'll send you straight to your rooms without your suppers, is that clear?

Ain't no party like a Boniva party!

I think what the grandmother did was rude and unacceptable. It's not polite to speak over others and age has nothing to do with manners. In order to get respect, you give it. Now your teaching your child that it is acceptable to talk over others. It's not.
    The grandmother's actions aren't justified.

Is Respect Earned Or Given?

It really depends on the context. Some little kids ramble and spout nonsense nonstop. If you waited for them to finish, you'd never be able to speak.

A good part of parenting is by example. You can be sure that if you cut your kids off when they are talking that they will do the same to you, later if not sooner. There's enough trouble coming down the pipe when they become teens without having a "YOU'RE INTERRUPTING ME!" match. I speak from experience although we got there on a slightly different route. Or maybe this won't happen, maybe they'll just figure out that you're hypocritical assholes and make your life totally miserable. It is possible to keep kids from going on and on about something without being rude.

And you can use your grumpy Aunt Nancy as an example of what not to do. Win!

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    If you believe in seen not heard, then fuck you if you have kids, and if you don't, don't.

But at the same time, think about that kid from Jerry Maguire. Adorable in the movie, but all day, every day, random observations, complicated questions? You'd be praying for bedtime every day for your first moment of quiet.

So the mother was out of line by saying "you don't count cause you're just a kid", but as for the grandmother, everyone has bad days and it's hard to tell without more background if was a mistake or a habitually shitty thing or a really annoying kid.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrChris123678 View Post
    Do You Believe in seen not heard?
    Yes sir I do. Which is why I don't have children.