Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your 2013 reading goals

Your 2013 reading goals

Anyone? I'm not a staunch believer in yearly resolutions (why wait for a set date to resolve something?) but I wondered if anyone was embarking on specific reading adventures or aiming to fulfil specific goals in the new year.

I (and a few other Forumzers) will be battling through Proust's In Search of Lost Time. I've started on Swann's Way already and I'm finding it quite a lovely read, not as sluggish to wade through as I expected, though I imagine the lost time will come with exploring the various things Proust makes mention of. Or when I wander off to bake madeleines.

I'd also like to read more comics this year - recommendations always welcome, you all have wonderful taste.

I'm hoping to get back into (and finish) Gravity's Rainbow and perhaps some other Pynchon if I find the time.

And I LOVE wasting time with Doctor Who novels from the '90s; I'm going to keep working through the Virgin range(s) this year, I think.

^ I'll hop on the Proust tryst. Personally, I need to play catch up on English Romantics. Also, Pynchon's Against the Day.

My goal for the year is to read 52 books (on average one a week) as over the past few years I didn't read much at all, probably less than five books a year, due to being too stressed and then because I was studying full-time while working as well. I've read more books since I finished my degree in September than in the past three years and I hope that setting a goal for myself for the new year will help keep me motivated to keep it up as well.

Your 2013 reading goals

I've begun the year reading The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, the last of the major Twain novels on my to-read list. Also for this year: Kiss of the Spiderwoman, A Tale of Two Cities, My Name Is Red, Strangers On A Train and the sequels to Hitchhiker's Guide.
    Last edited by Banjee; 01-01-2013 at 10:25 PM.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    1) The twenty-nine remaining books I've not read from Ngaio Marsh's Inspector Alleyn series.
    2) The Coffee Trader by David Liss. (part way through this one after several false starts)
    3) Twenty books written by English writer Margery Allingham. She has been categorized as one of the four original 'queens of crime' -- female authors who dominated the crime fiction genre in the 1920s - 1940s.
    4) Anne Perry's A Sunless Sea and Blind Justice.
    5) Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris.

Total of 51 books for the year.

My minimum plan is to read 10 pages of a book every day of 2013. I would like to read at least 45 books, possibly more, if time permits.

I just set up my goal on goodreds.
    35 books for 2013 ( 10 more than 2012 )

I bought so much used books in the past year, so I really need to read them

pummelled gall-nuts afloat in urine
    I'm trudging through George Eliot's bibliography right now; I want to get done with that ASAP. Generally I just want to read a ton, but specifically more short form poetry.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    I'm trudging through George Eliot's bibliography right now
    The Mill on the Floss and Silas Marner are both superb reads.

Icon15

Quote Originally Posted by Chosen View Post
    My minimum plan is to read 10 pages of a book every day of 2013.
    I like this as a reasonable, digestible goal. I read every night before bed, and I think saying "at least 10 pages" or "at least 20 minutes" would be a good place to start. Some days (summer, breaks, weekends every once in a while) I can read all day. Others, I'm sneaking in moments here and there.
    ... here i am!

i started with the first of the game of throne books on 1 january, so i still have several thousands of pages waiting for me right now.

but my goal for this year is still the same as every year, unfortunately... i really would like to read more non-fiction, but every time i give in, and read fiction instead.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    There aren't specific books as such that I want to tick off a list this year, but my goal is to read more and read every day. I've been pretty good in the last few weeks on that score actually, and I want that to continue.

I've adopted the 'read-the-Bible-in-365-days' plan, so there's that. And I plan to continue reading the Harry Potter series this year (book #3 is next). I also have so many used books in my room that I should stop neglecting. I only read 7 books last year, and I'm hoping to read at least 10-15 for 2013.

I was going to do the 'read this many books this year' thing, but I always end up seeing that as a CHALLENGE I MUST BEAT and as a result start avoiding longer novels because they'll throw me off my goal (and graphic novels because they're such short reads that they don't count, etc.). I am trying to make time to read every day though: on the bus to work, at lunch, before bed. I sometimes wonder how people find the time to read so much (and I'm an especially slow reader as it is), but I suppose it helps to make the time if you're filling it with a whole load of not much else.

The Drama Queen of Pretentiousness! Ms. Shart O'Nay's Avatar
    I've set a 100-book goal - I did 95 in 2012 - and am planning to make a longlist for that selection in the next couple of days. But the big goals are In Search of Lost Time (I'm doing that Proust group on GR, too!), and Infinite Jest.