Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your 2013 reading goals

Quote Originally Posted by Chosen View Post
    My minimum plan is to read 10 pages of a book every day of 2013. I would like to read at least 45 books, possibly more, if time permits.
    I have actually already read 63 books! I'm quite surprised at myself XD Of course, a good few of these were random re-reads that took me ca. 3 hours per book each, but it still feels quite impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoodlefish View Post
    You've just inspired me to the best way for reading the Bible!
    If you haven't read the Bible, I suggest it for everyone. If you are uber atheist, I suggest Asimov's Guide to the Bible. Going through school, I can't count how many times someone in Lit class misses a reference, even in modern Lit (even atheist David Foster Wallace went to church (addiction purposes) and was heavily involved in AA. If you want crazy prose, I suggest the KJV, it was modeled on Shakespeare style (minus the iambic pentamer). If you want straightforward stuff, go with some modern derivative of Duoay-Rheims. If you love messing with text and meaning, then go for the Amplified Bible.

As for my goals: I stopped reading for a month after last semester, but I'm also being sidetracked by other books that I find. I'm definitely halfway through the number I gave Goodreads.

Quote Originally Posted by Gale View Post
    I've adopted the 'read-the-Bible-in-365-days' plan, so there's that. And I plan to continue reading the Harry Potter series this year (book #3 is next). I also have so many used books in my room that I should stop neglecting. I only read 7 books last year, and I'm hoping to read at least 10-15 for 2013.
    I did pretty good this year! I'm a few chapters away from completing the Bible and I read books 3 and 4 in the Harry Potter series. In total, I read 15 books in 2013.
    Next year, I'm hoping to read a little Shakespeare. In high school, we were assigned to read a few of his plays and a handful of sonnets but it didn't mean a lot to me at the time. It's not that I lacked respect for his work; I was actually kind of intimidated by it! I'm looking to check out The Tempest and A Midsummer Night's Dream.
    Last edited by Gale; 12-28-2013 at 11:03 PM.

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    ^If you can afford to and/or if it's convenient, I would always recommend going to see a Shakespeare play over just sitting and reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by red_talula View Post
    My goal for the year is to read 52 books (on average one a week) as over the past few years I didn't read much at all, probably less than five books a year, due to being too stressed and then because I was studying full-time while working as well. I've read more books since I finished my degree in September than in the past three years and I hope that setting a goal for myself for the new year will help keep me motivated to keep it up as well.
    I finished my 52nd book on 27th December! I was surprised just how easy it was in the end to read a book a week, but I don't think I will do this challenge again as I don't want reading to feel like a chore. In the end I read quite a range of books in genres I don't usually read like non-fiction books, a Nobel prize winner, books about food and TV... Since I finished this challenge I haven't even opened a book though, so we'll see how many I manage to read during 2014!

I read 194 books last year, but most of them were work related non-fiction. I only read 32 novels.

My top five books I read in 2013:

1. Felix J. Palma: The Map of Time
    2. Hannu Rajaniemi: The Quantum Thief and The Fractal Prince
    3. Mark Haddon: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
    4. Philip Pullman: His Dark Materials trilogy
    5. S. J. Watson: Before I Go to Sleep

I read 122 books last year. I did not expect that to happen, but halfway through the year I got a Kindle Paperwhite as a gift and suddenly reading became a much more frequent event in my life

This year, I'm starting out with a goal of 50 books, but I might get to 100, eventually. We'll see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by waitressboy View Post
    I have only one goal.
    Since it's just impossible for me to finish Ulysses (I've reached a point where I can't read more than five lines and develop and urge to kill James Joyce again), my goal is to be able to read House Of Leaves.
    I'm not sure I'll be able to do it, but I'll do my best.
    Ha! No way, I couldn't do it.
    But it was a mix of things: first, knowing that it's been translated into Spanish, so I decided to read that one first.
    Second, there's a library that gives me a discount because of my job. And the discounts are really good, so I bought a lot of books... sometimes I bought more than what I could read.
    And I was having a nice average of two books per week... until November, that was when I had exams in college (eleven tests in four weeks, so I had literally no time to read for pleasure).

My goal for this year is not to buy more than what I can read... I need to save some money for my holidays, so I can't afford buying stuff I won't read.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

I recently completed Yalsa's Hub Challenge, but my 2014 goal for reading is to read an average of 1 book per week. I've done it before, but not for several years.