Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your 2013 reading goals

Oy With The Poodles Already!
    I just want to get back to reading every night again. I read with the kids, but I don't read for myself anymore, that has to change. So my goal is to read every night before bed. Doesn't matter how long, just as long as I read something every night.

That's so Shakespearean... Canoodlefish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepySweet View Post
    I've adopted the 'read-the-Bible-in-365-days' plan, so there's that.
    You've just inspired me to the best way for reading the Bible!
    "Never build a dungeon that you cannot get out of."

I have only one goal.
    Since it's just impossible for me to finish Ulysses (I've reached a point where I can't read more than five lines and develop and urge to kill James Joyce again), my goal is to be able to read House Of Leaves.
    I'm not sure I'll be able to do it, but I'll do my best.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

fluid, affectionate, chaste, mature Carbuncle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Whappo View Post
    I (and a few other Forumzers) will be battling through Proust's In Search of Lost Time. I've started on Swann's Way already and I'm finding it quite a lovely read, not as sluggish to wade through as I expected, though I imagine the lost time will come with exploring the various things Proust makes mention of. Or when I wander off to bake madeleines.
    *hyperventilates with excitement.* NOT THAT I THINK LA RECHERCHE DU TEMPS PERDU IS ONE OF THE GREATEST MONUMENTS OF ART EVER, TERRIBLE FLAWS AND ALL. nope. (the later books ARE a slog. but the first three or four so books are amazing. eeeee. want to reread)

I'm really envious of people who read a lot. Straight up jealous. I enjoy reading and I regularly buy books, it's just that I never sit down and read them. My attention span is for shit. I get very restless and cannot sit still for long. I can't even watch an entire movie in one sitting. I don't know if I have ADD or something but I wish I could just get lost in a book for days. I've been able to go on book binges (where I've read 10 books in a row) but that's only happened twice in my life. Talk about extremes

I used to be terrible at reading, mainly because I usually prefer to destress from work etc by other means if I have a lot going on and the past few years have been very busy. I've just recently started a new job with a commute that involves two hours on a train every day, so I've set aside that time for reading since I can't do much else. It's so much about finding books that keep you interested as well and over time I have found that I prefer to read more crime novels than anything else whereas I read very little 'regular' fiction.

I haven't really set a number goal for myself this year. One thing I do want to do is slow down and enjoy what I'm reading. I ready 122 books in 2013 and felt like I blew through a lot of them.

Quote Originally Posted by waitressboy View Post
    I have only one goal.
    Since it's just impossible for me to finish Ulysses (I've reached a point where I can't read more than five lines and develop and urge to kill James Joyce again)
    Try this. Usually, Ulysses is a novel that teaches the reader to read it. I personally love the novel, though. Also, you can always try listening to it on audiobook. It's meant to be read out loud.

Really interested in reading the 'Canterbury Tales' this year. I have a very busy schedule but I keep coming across little references to the tales that seem to point me towards finally reading this poem. Any recommendations for paying the extra £10 for Riverside (or another untranslated and annotated version) versus one of the cheaper translations? I'd love to hear anyone's opinions. I did read a bit of three editions (OUP, Penguin and Riverside) and am definitely leaning towards an un-translated version...
    Von Herzen möge es wieder zu Herzen gehn'

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    My general goal this year is to read fewer popular science, history and reference books and get back into novels again. I used to always have my head buried in a good story, but after a certain point most of the works of fiction I read were plays, which aren't intended to be sat and read so aren't quite the same. I need to finish the biography of Jerusalem I'm reading by Simon Sebag Montefiore (which is amazing), a book of unlikely encounters between famous people called One On One by Craig Brown, Arguably by Christopher Hitchens and the final Dark Tower novel (the only novel I started last year), which I've all got on the go at the same time. Once I'm finished with those and I've got some money and time, I'm planning on finally getting through some long-awaited reads;

- Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel
    - Candide by Voltaire
    - Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates
    - The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
    - Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

If I manage to get through all of those by the end of the year, I will be very chuffed with myself! I'm a pretty speedy reader but I have an annoying habit of getting over-excited and starting too many books at once. I'm hoping to take all of these on one-at-a-time.

I have exceeded my own expectations so far and have read six books already this year. According to my Shelfari profile that puts be three books ahead of schedule! We'll see how long I can keep this up for, but so far I'm enjoying it and as soon as I finish a book I move straight on to the next one. I fear that if I take a break then I'll fall out of the routine and find other things to do during my commute to work and that's my main time for reading as I don't tend to read once I'm home.

David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest. Anyone here read it? It sounds like the sort of thing I'd like but takes forever to get through. Twitter's opinion was mixed.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

My goal is to read all of Haruki Murakami's novels/collections (that are available in English). So far I've gotten through... (updated)

Norwegian Wood
    Kafka on the Shore
    The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles
    After the Quake
    Elephant Vanishes
    Undergound
    Wild Sheep Chase

Hardboiled Wonderland and 1Q84 are waiting patiently on my bookshelf.
    Last edited by thestrand; 07-19-2013 at 01:21 PM.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kala View Post
    1) The twenty-nine remaining books I've not read from Ngaio Marsh's Inspector Alleyn series.
    2) The Coffee Trader by David Liss. (part way through this one after several false starts)
    3) Twenty books written by English writer Margery Allingham. She has been categorized as one of the four original 'queens of crime' -- female authors who dominated the crime fiction genre in the 1920s - 1940s.
    4) Anne Perry's A Sunless Sea and Blind Justice.
    5) Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris.

Total of 51 books for the year.
    Mid-year check up.

1) DONE - What a fantastic series -- I was sorry to see it end.
    2) After the xth attempt I gave up. Life is too short to force yourself to read a book that doesn't hold your attention.
    3) I'm half-way through the Albert Campion series - very entertaining!
    4) Read A Sunless Sea - brilliant! Waiting for the publication of Blind Justice.
    5) Hope to read this summer.

40 books read this year to date.

Quote Originally Posted by red_talula View Post
    My goal for the year is to read 52 books (on average one a week) as over the past few years I didn't read much at all, probably less than five books a year, due to being too stressed and then because I was studying full-time while working as well. I've read more books since I finished my degree in September than in the past three years and I hope that setting a goal for myself for the new year will help keep me motivated to keep it up as well.
    Now just over half the year gone I've done alright with my reading, much better than I expected actually as I have read 25 books which puts me two books behind schedule for reading a book a week. I was doing very well for the first few months of the year and was three books ahead of schedule for a while, but then I started reading the A Song of Ice and Fire series and because those books are all 500-900 pages long they took twice as long to read. I'm reading A Dance with Dragons at the moment and after this I will go back to reading some more crime novels as that's my favourite genre.