Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 LastLast

Thread: Racism

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Sometimes racism is funny

Okay, I'm going to ask this here, because I'm afraid of the results I might get if I Google it: is there an informative book or site that explains the history of anti-Semitism? I'd be almost certain it would be the British Empire's fault, but then the Jews weren't exactly beloved by the Roman Empire as far as I remember from my Catholic school days.

I always try to broaden my understanding of these things, and there's this legacy of hatred against Jewish people, ugly stereotypes and dogwhistle code words, and where the fuck does it even begin? I'm not asking anyone here to do my homework for me, just point me in the right direction so I don't end up scrolling through tons of Nazi asshole links on the internet.

And in the evening it's. . . Andrea's Avatar
    https://smile.amazon.com/Changing-Fa...+anti+semitism

This one was referenced in a class I'm taking to prep for a trip to Poland.

And the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum has some info here on the early church to the Middle Ages:

https://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/article...uleId=10007170

At the bottom are links to the other historical periods on their site as well as other helpful links off-site.

^ That's really helpful, thanks.

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Hey @Pete!
    For medieval Europe, focus on the 14th century. That is when more and more Judaism became equated with heresy and sorcery; with the same accusations of diabolical practices of stuff like eating children, and importantly, the same discriminating laws and punishments. Before that time, Jews lived in relative peace and harmony with Christians and muslims, especially in the southern feudal system of Europe. The remnants of Visigothic laws in the former Provincia Narbonensis (modern day Provence and Occitanie) allowed Jews to posess property, own slaves and rank as high officials. Showcases of this relative freedom was that the stewart of Béziers was at one point a Jew, and Isaac the Blind living in the Provençe was able to construct important spiritual Judaist texts which formed the base of modern day Kabalism. The same for the Iberian peninsula, where gothic laws and later Muslim laws from the Almohad kingdom granted similar privileges. Before the 12th century, genocide unrelated to territorial conflict was unheard of, though in 1096 many Jews were slaughtered as a result of the first Crusade. "Internal" crusades against heresy started around early 13th century, where mass burning became the norm of dealing with dissenting Christians like the Albigensian heretics. The sentiment; "Attack the followers of heresy more fearlessly than even the Saracens, since heretics are more evil." When said heretics were wiped off of the face of the planet, the attention turned to sorcerers and later witches, and THEN Jews. Whereas earlier it was definitely worse to be a heretic / dissenting Christian - or be accused of sorcery - than to be either a muslim ("Saracen") or a Jew, that all changed in the course of the 14th century. The reason for this is that Paris gradually expanded its control over the English / Angevin empire and the southern territories, with all their laws and such, until all was Frenchified and former Occitan, Visigothic and Almohad laws were abandoned. Actually after the reconquista in Spain, laws against heretics and Jews were possibly worse than elsewhere, there just isn't any proof that those laws were actually enforced. The Catholic church focussed very much on rallying the Kings of Aragon, England and France, and on the counts and viscounts of Toulouse, Provençe and other Occitan territories.
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

That's a helpful summary, thanks.

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Some more possibly interesting stuff;
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

And in the evening it's. . . Andrea's Avatar
    @Pete! Coincidentally I just got an email from Yad Vashem for a free online course in the history of antisemitism. The link to register is here: https://www.yadvashem.org/education/...mpaign=MOOC_en

So I'm sure most of you have seen the video of this dude by now

And internet detectives have found all sorts of shit about him, how he's a super Trump supporter and has been captured on vid/in pics at stuff. I just came across this one and it's batshit.

I'm a weirdness magnet. I have had SEVERAL incidents of rando strangers just fucking going nuts on me (a couple weeks ago I yelled "stop sign!" at a car driving past who blew through one and he stopped his car to scream "fat fucking cunt" at me instead of like just... driving on? Like a normal person would do when they break the law and someone who has no power just mentions their mistake?) so when I see someone else have a completely insane interaction, it kind of makes me feel better, that it's not necessarily something I might be doing unintentionally. Some people escalate and respond completely disproportionately.

They started a GoFundMe to pay for a mariachi band to play outside his window. But then one volunteered, so they’re using the money to put taco trucks there.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Steve SFM View Post
    They started a GoFundMe to pay for a mariachi band to play outside his window. But then one volunteered, so they’re using the money to put taco trucks there.
    Brilliant! I love creative ways of fucking with arseholes like that.

Also, I want tacos now.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

Well, Schlossberg may be able to help you with that.

Oh, and apparently, he’s also being beleaguered by Yelp Justice.

Barack Hussein Obama

It’s getting even funnier!

And apparently, he’s accusing journalists of physically assaulting him, when they’re doing no such thing.

As someone said, “It’s almost like there are consequences for his actions.”

Barack Hussein Obama

The taco trucks and mariachi band stuff is funny. Relatively harmless trolling. The getting him evicted stuff is a little creepy (and may not be true). Not that he shouldn't be evicted. Not that he deserves compassion or empathy, but I do find it scary to let internet mob justice decide everyone's punishment as a story unfolds. Julia Ioffe pissed off people by saying something similar and people were calling her a racist because she "sympathized" with a racist more than his victims. Dude can get fired and evicted and deserves it, but we can also dial it back a bit too. We're better than that. Like that stupid woman who made the AIDS joke on her way to Africa and was fired before her plane landed. Probably not the wrong decision to make, but the vitriol and mob mentality is a little creepy. It's the left's equivalent of Lock Her Up, even if "our" view is correct.

trapped in the worst timeline just owls's Avatar
    I've been thinking about this a lot the last few days and wasn't sure if/where to bring it up. I have so many conflicting thoughts about this type of thing.

First of all, fuck Julia. Her wording said it all. Calling this guy a "not very nice person"? That's how I would describe someone who won't let someone go in front of him to get out of a parking lot, or someone who won't give up their bus or train seat for someone who physically is in much more need of sitting. This guy was not just shouting your run-of-the-mill racist shit, but threatened to call ICE on those women, ruining their lives, tearing apart their families, and sending them to a country that they likely don't even remember much. And of course we're now reminded of her cheeky picture from election night, smiling and drinking with Nazi Richard Spencer.

What does bother me is doxxing people, even horrible people like this guy, so even the mariachi band stuff is problematic to me. When did the collective "we" suddenly become OK with people having their names, place of employment, and home addresses being plastered everywhere? I don't care how much of a dick someone is, that makes me very uncomfortable. And it's not because I feel bad for THEM, but I think about how easy it is to find that information and all it takes is disagreeing with someone or someone perceiving something you say to be horrible. Or hell even if you do say something shitty, and maybe you regret it. Once it's out there, that's it. This guy is a terrible example for me because he is a truly vile person who didn't just say something shitty, but the pattern of how it was resolved is what troubles me.

Then you have the fact that sometimes people are wrong. Remember when Reddit decided to play Sherlock and "find" the Boston bomber? Yeah. I think of the Oakland BBQ lady and how unremarkable she looks, yet people are 100% sure they have identified her and her name and faculty picture is now everywhere. She had large sunglasses on and no makeup with her hair pulled back. There is nothing about her face that is unique. She looks like so many middle-aged white women I have seen. If that's not really her? And if it IS her? She didn't SAY anything racist and she didn't touch anyone. She is again a piece of shit and who knows how south things might have gone if someone wasn't filming her and the cop didn't think she was ridiculous, but what is the end goal?

And either way, it 100% makes me uncomfortable how many people have a sort of bloodlust for this type of thing. Even IF the person in question is 100% terrible and maybe deserves what happens to them, I don't think most people get in on it out of a sense of justice, but rather wanting to just rip someone apart and ruin their lives, and they found a socially acceptable target.

Anywaaaaay, there's a book about this very thing and one of the stories in it as actually the AIDS joke lady Regina mentioned, called So You've Been Publicy Shamed.