Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2634353637 LastLast

Thread: Racism

fluid, affectionate, chaste, mature Carbuncle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Perky Compson View Post
    But how else will they prove they're woke, Kari??? THEY HAVE TO PROVE THEY'RE WOKE.
    more than anything, this is what makes me scratch my head.

The New York Times posted a recipe for jiajiangmyun - what they called "koreanified Chinese noodles" - it's a VERY popular recipe in Korea because Korean people order Chinese takeout, and over time the recipes became modified to suit Korean tastes - sort of like how General Tso's chicken doesn't exist in China.

Anyway, this angry white person came barreling in and started angrily posting about the Nytime's "cultural appropriation," which was embarrassing on many levels, because it showed pretty clearly this person didn't understand the first thing about Korean culture, otherwise she would have known that this noodle dish was insanely popular and a huge, entrenched fixture in Korean meals.

Anyway, like 20 Korean non-white people enthusiastically posted after that person did, and that person clearly became embarrassed and deleted her original post.

I understand and see you SJWs. but sometimes when you see a Nytimes recipe for a meal you don't understand, you need to shut up.

and it sounds like all our lives Kari's Avatar
    If they paid attention, black people are also like "please stop saying woke, white people".

and it sounds like all our lives Kari's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbuncle View Post
    I understand and see you SJWs. but sometimes when you see a Nytimes recipe for a meal you don't understand, you need to shut up.
    OMG. I just made an indian curry over the weekend and the comments were the EXACT SAME by like dudes named Jeff (probably not Indian!) being all "this recipe has tomato paste in it, therefore, NOT AUTHENTIC."

THE RECIPE WAS FROM A GOD DAMN INDIAN WOMAN WHO WROTE A FUCKING COOKBOOK OF INDIAN FOOD AND LEARNED THE RECIPES FROM HER MOTHER WHO BY THE WAY IS INDIAN.

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    The weird cultural policing that goes on around food is bananas. Do they also think that all non-white people in the United States only make "authentic" food with ingredients readily available in their country of ancestry, never modifying it based on taste or availability of components? Because I hate to tell you, but I put hella cream cheese in my homemade sushi.

And on the note of embarrassing wokeness, I have two visible tattoos of maneki nekos on my shoulders, and some white girl the other day made a snide comment about how "chinese designs like that typically don't look good on white skin", which just. Biiiiiitch.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    There was a great series on the podcast Sporkful about food and culture and what is ok and what isn't last week or the week before. Definitely worth a listen for discussion of celebration vs appropriation. 4 parts, Who Is This Restaurant For.

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    I'm not sure how I feel about the original article's implication that, basically, cause I'm white, I'm automatically a racist.
    Yeah, I may have said this before, but implying that only a white mind is capable of racism, is in and of itself racist.

My blonde and skinny best friend who grew up alongside me - but has been less fortunate in life - lives in the same city as I do (where white people are a minority), but these days in a very bad neighbourhood, and he can actually relate to 'new' types of racism, as surviving on the street because he is white is daily business for him. I could fill a book with his stories for real. His encounters with the police have been numerous, and in describing the root cause of his problems always results in the police making a racist out of HIM, simply for trying to accurately describing what has been happening to him over the years. Of course, perhaps the state of his part of the city is a direct result of racist roots in our culture, but right now I don't think that doesn't really make his story less important.

Also, I've did it before, but I point again to the Rotherham UK case as an example of 'new' racism (apart from sexism).

Quote Originally Posted by Carbuncle View Post
    more than anything, this is what makes me scratch my head.

The New York Times posted a recipe for jiajiangmyun - what they called "koreanified Chinese noodles" - it's a VERY popular recipe in Korea because Korean people order Chinese takeout, and over time the recipes became modified to suit Korean tastes - sort of like how General Tso's chicken doesn't exist in China.

Anyway, this angry white person came barreling in and started angrily posting about the Nytime's "cultural appropriation," which was embarrassing on many levels, because it showed pretty clearly this person didn't understand the first thing about Korean culture, otherwise she would have known that this noodle dish was insanely popular and a huge, entrenched fixture in Korean meals.

Anyway, like 20 Korean non-white people enthusiastically posted after that person did, and that person clearly became embarrassed and deleted her original post.

"Cultural appropriation", I still haven't figured out where the hell in the States that word even comes from. It always reminds me of Italian food I've tasted in California, which tasted nothing like the real thing. The world has gone bonkers. A culture is not a static thing, it appropriates things from other cultures constantly until cultures start fighting over who has more right to the original claim (like baklava). When I look outside my very own window, I see a cafe specializing in Belgian beers, a Moroccan barbershop, a Chinese-Surinam-Dutch snack-bar, a Turkish tapas/grill restaurant, an Israelian-Egyptian hummus/falafel stand, an Indian food take away thing, and statistically 70% non-European neighbours happily culturally appropriation way more than just each other's food. No one gives a damn, everybody here seems to enjoy it.

ETA:
    fun fact;
    What the Dutch appropriated and reinvented as "Pizza Hawaii" (bacon & pine-apple pizza), the local Dutch-Italians here have appropriated back as "Pizza Olanda" .
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

Quote Originally Posted by Perky Compson View Post
    The weird cultural policing that goes on around food is bananas. Do they also think that all non-white people in the United States only make "authentic" food with ingredients readily available in their country of ancestry, never modifying it based on taste or availability of components? Because I hate to tell you, but I put hella cream cheese in my homemade sushi.

And on the note of embarrassing wokeness, I have two visible tattoos of maneki nekos on my shoulders, and some white girl the other day made a snide comment about how "chinese designs like that typically don't look good on white skin", which just. Biiiiiitch.
    Did you mimic the waving motion the figurines do and say "Biiiitch, bye"

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    I should have! Thankfully she shut it pretty fast when I was like "my mother is Japanese and maneki-nekos are a Japanese symbol" and gave her bitchface.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I guess I'm a huge racist because I still don't see how anyone lip syncing to a pop song is racist, at least not in the way it was done here. I don't see anyone in the video mocking black women or using offensive stereotypes. I keep hearing that this song is not for white people, it's for women of color. Are women of color the only ones allowed to listen to the song? To sing the song? To make videos dancing to the song? Once you put something out into the world as a single promoting your album, won't others hear it and enjoy it?

I read an article about it that took offense even to the "¡Hola!" shirt that Goldie Hawn was wearing because it was appropriating latinx culture and I JUST CAN'T. Now I can't wear a shirt with anything but English writing on it if I'm white? It's so hard to take these think pieces seriously.
    I completely agree. The thing about great writing, be it song lyrics, poetry or prose, is that people can find ways of relating to it which have little to do with what the author was going through while creating that work. People apply their own experiences to the text, because there is a feeling, a notion, and idea that permeates it and transcends the original meaning. Let me give a classic faerie winging example - "when you're only wet because of the rain". Now, I'll never know what it's like for a vagina to get wet, but I can certainly relate to the feeling of suddenly realizing that something doesn't do it for me anymore, no matter how much I'd want things to be the way they used to be or I thought they were. Anyone can.

Another thing - we live in a culturally globalized world. Even in countries where the number of black people is statistically insignificant, people listen to, say, Beyonce. Formation gets tons of airplay. Lemonade is essentially a concept album about what a woman goes through upon finding out her husband cheated on her. That's a pretty universal experience; knowing (white) women who have lived through similar things, as I was listening to the album for the first time, pretty much every song reminded me of different stages they had gone through, and what struck me was how well and accurately everything is captured in those lyrics. As for Formation, while the lyrics mention specific elements of black identity and culture, I think it has notions and ideas to which many people, regardless of race, can relate: being proud of yourself, of your culture, your ethnicity, your traditions, your appearance, your professional abilities, you name it. Not allowing society to define you in a negative way. Rising above it all.

Besides, if you're a top-selling artist, chances are you make most of your money by reaching a wide audience which nearly inevitably includes (or, like in Europe, for instance, consists overwhelmingly of) white people. Once they pay for your music and buy tickets for your shows, you can't tell them "oh, but this is not for you, it's not about you". Obviously, it's not ok to mock or stereotype a certain culture, race or ethnicity, or to use a song for nefarious purposes (say, at a Trump rally), but this was clearly not the case in the Amy Schumer Formation video - hell, if anything, it looked like a tribute to me. In a world where minorities of all kinds have to deal with all sorts of real issues and prejudice, this whole cultural appropriation nonsense only serves to take the focus off those matters and trivialize real struggles.

Also, the word "hola" is not an emblem of "latinx" culture, it is the Spanish word for hello. You know, Spanish, a language that comes from a country called Spain, where surely, they sell zillions of t-shirts like those to countless tourists; I'm sure you can get Bonjour t-shirts in France, Ciao t-shirts in Italy etc.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    In a world where minorities of all kinds have to deal with all sorts of real issues and prejudice, this whole cultural appropriation nonsense only serves to take the focus of those matters and trivialize real struggles. .
    The great travesty of this whole event is you've got marginalized classes turning on other marginalized classes. Let's fight the real enemy shall we, and clobber the wannabe pussy grabber in chief?

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    White Baton Rouge Judge Calls Black Woman the N-word at Local Restaurant

Johnson says she and the driver share the seat until he leaves. “I’m halfway on the seat and the Lyft driver is on the other half of the seat. Then he asked for his jacket. All of a sudden I hear this older man behind me tell the Lyft driver, ‘You never give up your seat for a n*gger.'”

Johnson later learned that the man hurling the racial slur was Judge Mike Erwin.

As Johnson and the driver sat side by side, the older man continues, “You should have made her get her fat n*gger a** up.”
    So. Many. People to hate lately. At least they're coming out of the woodwork.*

*ie, not hiding and pretending they're not racist

Coming soon: the "if anyone was offended" fake apology.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

Charles Murray is pushing his racist Bell Curve theory again. Unsurprisingly, New Atheist guru and Islamophobe Sam Harris has hopped on board.

in an infinite regress just owls's Avatar
    I feel like this shit should be in the terrorism thread too, but 2 people were killed (had their throats slashed) by an Islamaphobe in Portland, when they intervened to stop him from yelling racist shit at two Muslim women.

That's a really scary story. I mean, if I saw someone harassing a Muslim, I'd probably speak up.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama