Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Racism

Racism

This is from the Philly mummers' parade. It's pretty incredible. I can't decide if my favorite part is the Native American waving the US flag or the Indian Indians wearing magic genie slippers.

In the garden of your mind. Tellurium's Avatar
    I'm puzzled by how "Indians" dancing to Gangnam Style in a call centre is meant to convey a need for returning more call centres to the US? Do Indian call centre workers spend too much time dancing and not enough time answering calls? Or... Like... What?

I watched the whole parade w/ someone from Philly. There were two Native American themed dances and another dance which was minstrel themed. I was told by my Philly friend that the parade regularly catches flack for racism. Something about South Philly white working class men being completely clueless in areas of sensitivity.

Controversy in the upper Midwest over White Privilege awareness campaign. Always a touchy subject. No doubt I've been called self-hating for talking about white privilege myself.

it wouldn't even matter other pete's Avatar
    "Racist thugs beat me up on Metrolink tram - and 200 passengers watched and did nothing"

A dad who was racially abused and brutally battered on a tram packed with up to 200 people today told of his dismay after nobody stepped in to stop the attack.

Prakash Patel, 56, from New Moston (Manchester), was on a tram with his daughter Devyani at Trafford Bar when he suffered a tirade of racist abuse followed by a sustained vicious assault. He was punched in the face and head more than 18 times and suffered two black eyes and concussion.

Here Prakash, who has lived in Manchester for 31 years and is married to teacher Vasanti, 52, tells of his terror on the tram...

‘Nobody did anything... my daughter was the only one who helped me’

Just unbelievable, this is like something from 1930s Germany, and only a couple of national newspapers even picked up the story. Ugh.

Sadly, people won't help in many a scenario. They're either shit-scared of getting hurt themselves, or of being turned on by both parties.

It's the bystander effect. Last year a woman in my town ran to her neighbor's house for help because her husband was trying to kill her. The neighbor let her in, then the husband broke down the door and started shooting at the wife AND the neighbor. Since then, people around here won't even open a door for someone claiming to need help. Like Helen said, it's mostly for fear that getting involved will get you targeted, hurt, or killed.

It's worse in big cities too. People are just shit scared of each other in general and do not want involvement with unknown quantities for obvious reasons. You make eye contact, people freak. It's very tiring and sad and why I generally am not a fan of the big English cities. I always get the feeling people will just step over you if you died in the street in general. Doesn't mean someone shouldn't have called the police in the scenario Pete posted about, but still, these days who is prepared to wade directly into a situation where they're outnumbered, where they have no ability to defend themselves against that level of brutality or that is likely to get them stabbed or beaten half to or to actual death? Too many stabbings and people being killed while trying to help someone or defend themselves for that to be big in people's minds these days.

Oh, btw, when some teen chavscum threw an object at me from a moving car a few years back which hit me in the head knocking me to the ground I ran to the nearest person - a guy standing outside his house - for help and he basically just sneered in disgust and turned his back on me. So I had to run a quarter mile to my nearest relative's house to call the police. This was in a small town, a very nice usually 'safe' area, the attackers had disappeared over the horizon and I'm a small, very unintimidating lone female who'd just been assaulted. Even when there's no threat, plenty of people are just total shits anyway. Esoecially tracksuited wankers with earrings. Hah.

Anyway, back to the old racism.

The "big city/small town" thing doesn't even come into it for me. Most of the racist abuse my boyfriend's received has been outside of big cities - some of it incredibly menacing and accompanied with the threat of violence at the hands of the community rather than of individuals. I also spent my teen years in an English town by the borders where myself and my family were "othered" for a few reasons, and while we had friends in the town, they usually weren't going out of their way to stop thugs breaking our windows. Relatively few of us stood up for the one Pakistani student at our school when she was bullied, too. Part of it is fear, and for that I can't blame people, but I also think a large part of it is that people are largely unfeeling monsters with more prejudices than they vocalise.

Abigail Fisher is suing to repeal affirmative action, based on the suggestion that people of color with lower scores than her were accepted to the college of her choice. (spoiler: so were white people who scored lower)

feel it seep thru the slick divide MyNameisWarts's Avatar
    ^I've been following her crusade for a while now. Her case is likely to succeed, as the oral arguments have been heard and it is clear from listening to them that there just aren't the votes among the liberals (Kagan had to recuse) to prevent the court from banning all race-based considerations in admitting applicants to public universities. Hopefully there is some miracle and Roberts or someone else (possibly Thomas? but unlikely) has a moment of clarity, but it is not looking good.

I work with a group of grad students trying to work on how to promote diversity among PhD students and faculty...and some of the things I have come up against, overheard, had said straight to my face - it is astonishing how much racism there is both at the individual level and embedded in our institutions. And these are the most educated, ostensibly "liberal" bunch. I've always learned about it and believed it was probably the case, but to stare it in the face and see its gears turning up close...it's pretty shocking and it's hard not to feel demoralized.

For a number of reasons, it is already (for all intents and purposes) illegal to work directly on racial/ethnic disparities in education in the public school system in California w/r/t recruitment and admissions policies. Now it will just get worse. This is a really, really bad thing that the supreme court is about to do. Prepare for our glorious "post-racial" nation to take about 10 steps backwards.

There is a pervasive myth among educators that diversity necessitates a quality trade off. That to bring in more students of color is to degrade the quality of our scholarship. (Some think we should still diversify our student bodies and faculty anyway, so this kind of racism has infected even apparently level-headed liberals and people who are supposed to be our allies). This is such a pernicious lie, especially when you consider that the majority of academic disciplines have been largely been the study of white people by white people...white people's literature, their "cultures," their psychologies, their scientific methods...it's all very FUBU in the whitest way possible — the truth is that we need a diversity of perspectives, a diversity of assumptions, ideologies, methods, really a larger diversity of mistakes and solutions to those mistakes...the sad irony is that truly advancing the quality of scholarship in whatever discipline actually depends on addressing this fundamental flaw. It is very hard to figure out how to get people to see that.

I could say much more, but I'll just end it here: fuck that white supremacist abigail fisher right to hell.

she might not be so bold fullofwish's Avatar
    I am part of a research team in my university looking at what factors enable indigenous and minority students to be successful at university. Most of us were really shocked at some of the stories we were told by these students in terms of the racism they face from other students, from teachers, from the university structure and outside of the university as well. A large segment of the racism comes from faculties that are highly competitive and have a targeted admission process to bring more minority and indigenous students into these programs. It astonishes me how many young white people training to be lawyers, doctors and teachers (among others) have horribly conservative and racist attitudes towards people, just like this Abigail Fisher and her supporters. Frightening stuff when you think how much influence they are going to have in their professional roles in areas where indigenous and minority people experience real disadvantage.

it wouldn't even matter other pete's Avatar
    Brilliant poem on the mathematics of immigrant-blaming:

Dawkins apparently wants to join the Tea Party.

Dawkins, in a recent rant on Twitter, admitted that he had not ever read the Quran, but was sufficiently expert in the topic to denounce Islam as the main culprit of all the world’s evil: “Haven’t read Koran so couldn’t quote chapter and verse like I can for Bible. But [I] often say Islam [is the] greatest force for evil today.” How’s that for a scientific dose of proof that God does not exist?

A few days later, on March 25, there was this: “Of course you can have an opinion about Islam without having read the Qur’an. You don’t have to read “Mein Kampf” to have an opinion about Nazism.”
    The rest of the article documents the absolute best of the bat-shit racist meltdowns.

Brad Paisley and LL Cool J are catching heat for their new song "Accidental Racist."

lyrics

Thoughts?