Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27353637

Thread: Racism

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar

Trevor Noah talking about racism in police departments and how many times he has been pulled over since coming to the US. I've been pulled over just a couple times (which I deserved) and I've been driving since before any of us knew who Tori Amos was.

Insert something clever here iamstilljamiepoo's Avatar
    St. Louis is going to have some issues this weekend...and rightfully so.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/c...78078c8cb.html

For context, a white cop killed an African-American man after a chase. The officer was heard on the dash cam saying he was going to kill him. He allegedly planted a gun in the suspect's car to claim he feared for his life being why he shot him. The officer waived a jury trial and the judge today rendered a Not-guilty verdict. There have already been protests because of how long that decision took to come down (somewhere just above 30 days).

Meanwhile, at the US Air Force Academy.

Having been on multiple air bases and attending several USAF events and graduations, I can tell you that a huge number of airmen are black and Latinx. There are also lots of gay, lesbian, and trans members. It’s always infuriating to me when racists and bigots scream about patriotism from their recliners, when the people comprising most of the military they so dearly love (so they claim) are the ones who they’d look down on.

That response was a relief to read, and what I would expect. I have met so many incredible, thoughtful, intelligent, all-around beautiful young people in the USAF and Navy. They are from all backgrounds and walks of life. The diversity was really incredible. It’s no surprise there are racist assholes embedded in every profession in this country, but it’s refreshing to hear people explicitly say they refuse to tolerate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    H a huge number of airmen are black and Latinx. There are also lots of gay, lesbian, and trans members.
    Or, as Trump voters would call them, cannon fodder.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post

That response was a relief to read, and what I would expect. I have met so many incredible, thoughtful, intelligent, all-around beautiful young people in the USAF and Navy. They are from all backgrounds and walks of life. The diversity was really incredible. It’s no surprise there are racist assholes embedded in every profession in this country, but it’s refreshing to hear people explicitly say they refuse to tolerate it.
    In my time in the USAF, racism and sexism wasn't tolerated in the slightest. We had a guy in my shop make an off the cuff racist remark. He was reprimanded and sent to sensitivity training. I had an older contractor say some sexist bullshit to me. He was made to apologize, and he was only kept around because he was literally the only person that could do his job.

And more ranting...
    I think the thing that pisses me off the most is that people feel like they can talk for vets and services members. As you said we come from all walks off life and from all backgrounds. I feel the most unpatriotic thing anyone could do is dictate to me what it means to be an American and how to best honor those who have lost their lives while wearing the uniform. I do not feel like you are disrespecting my fellow Airmen, my coworkers from this deadly plane crash when you stand up for what you believe in and take a knee.

I wish people would read this: U.S. Army veteran Nate Boyer convinced Colin Kaepernick to kneel, rather than sit, while protesting police brutality during the national anthem.

I read comment somewhere that basically said if you care so much about Vets you should donate, lobby for VA changes and funding, and volunteer. Nope, it's just safer and more comfortable to bitch from the sofa.
    Last edited by entropy; 09-29-2017 at 10:05 PM.

Glad to see Silveria standing up for the black cadets, especially after watching the PBS documentary about the Vietnam war last week. A lot of good ol' boys from the South were using Confederate flags to scorn and intimidate the black troops. It's long past time for that shit to stop.

werewolves, not swear-wolves Chalk's Avatar
    So, a bunch of white supremacists harassed an Australian senator when he was in a pub by following him and continuously asking him "What race is Islam". He showed a lot more composure than I would by not really engaging with them, then a fellow MP appears in front of the phone and asks "What race is dickhead?". Did I forget to mention the racists assholes was filming this with a phone the entire time? I cannot believe the entitlement and audacity of these assholes to think that this is o.k., and also record it?

And people fear muslims, and yeah, I get it - ISIS style of terrorism is a real threat here in Europe, but at the same time one should not ignore what's happening on the white-supremist/nationalists, as they have been slowly reappearing and being more vocal since the economy crisis in 2008/9 and specially because of the refugee crisis. The latter showed a lot of people their true racist colours.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Sometimes racism is funny