Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435

Thread: Racism

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Sometimes racism is funny

Okay, I'm going to ask this here, because I'm afraid of the results I might get if I Google it: is there an informative book or site that explains the history of anti-Semitism? I'd be almost certain it would be the British Empire's fault, but then the Jews weren't exactly beloved by the Roman Empire as far as I remember from my Catholic school days.

I always try to broaden my understanding of these things, and there's this legacy of hatred against Jewish people, ugly stereotypes and dogwhistle code words, and where the fuck does it even begin? I'm not asking anyone here to do my homework for me, just point me in the right direction so I don't end up scrolling through tons of Nazi asshole links on the internet.

And in the evening it's. . . Andrea's Avatar
    https://smile.amazon.com/Changing-Fa...+anti+semitism

This one was referenced in a class I'm taking to prep for a trip to Poland.

And the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum has some info here on the early church to the Middle Ages:

https://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/article...uleId=10007170

At the bottom are links to the other historical periods on their site as well as other helpful links off-site.

^ That's really helpful, thanks.

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Hey @Pete!
    For medieval Europe, focus on the 14th century. That is when more and more Judaism became equated with heresy and sorcery; with the same accusations of diabolical practices of stuff like eating children, and importantly, the same discriminating laws and punishments. Before that time, Jews lived in relative peace and harmony with Christians and muslims, especially in the southern feudal system of Europe. The remnants of Visigothic laws in the former Provincia Narbonensis (modern day Provence and Occitanie) allowed Jews to posess property, own slaves and rank as high officials. Showcases of this relative freedom was that the stewart of Béziers was at one point a Jew, and Isaac the Blind living in the Provençe was able to construct important spiritual Judaist texts which formed the base of modern day Kabalism. The same for the Iberian peninsula, where gothic laws and later Muslim laws from the Almohad kingdom granted similar privileges. Before the 12th century, genocide unrelated to territorial conflict was unheard of, though in 1096 many Jews were slaughtered as a result of the first Crusade. "Internal" crusades against heresy started around early 13th century, where mass burning became the norm of dealing with dissenting Christians like the Albigensian heretics. The sentiment; "Attack the followers of heresy more fearlessly than even the Saracens, since heretics are more evil." When said heretics were wiped off of the face of the planet, the attention turned to sorcerers and later witches, and THEN Jews. Whereas earlier it was definitely worse to be a heretic / dissenting Christian - or be accused of sorcery - than to be either a muslim ("Saracen") or a Jew, that all changed in the course of the 14th century. The reason for this is that Paris gradually expanded its control over the English / Angevin empire and the southern territories, with all their laws and such, until all was Frenchified and former Occitan, Visigothic and Almohad laws were abandoned. Actually after the reconquista in Spain, laws against heretics and Jews were possibly worse than elsewhere, there just isn't any proof that those laws were actually enforced. The Catholic church focussed very much on rallying the Kings of Aragon, England and France, and on the counts and viscounts of Toulouse, Provençe and other Occitan territories.
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

That's a helpful summary, thanks.

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Some more possibly interesting stuff;
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

And in the evening it's. . . Andrea's Avatar
    @Pete! Coincidentally I just got an email from Yad Vashem for a free online course in the history of antisemitism. The link to register is here: https://www.yadvashem.org/education/...mpaign=MOOC_en