Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536

Thread: Racism

What pissed me off about the whole thing with Julia (who I follow and like quite a bit) was not that she was challenged or even criticized, but rather HOW she was criticized. I like Twitter more and more, but one thing I just fucking hate is this notion that anyone who makes a mistake is a traitor. There’s no nuance anymore, I need nuance. I need the notion that good people can make mistakes. I need forgiveness. I DON’T need rigid, puritanical thinking of the notion that “I’m on the Internet and I can be as mean and scorched earth as I like. Fuck that shit. I already get more of that than I need.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

Quote Originally Posted by just owls View Post
    What does bother me is doxxing people, even horrible people like this guy, so even the mariachi band stuff is problematic to me. When did the collective "we" suddenly become OK with people having their names, place of employment, and home addresses being plastered everywhere? I don't care how much of a dick someone is, that makes me very uncomfortable. And it's not because I feel bad for THEM, but I think about how easy it is to find that information and all it takes is disagreeing with someone or someone perceiving something you say to be horrible. Or hell even if you do say something shitty, and maybe you regret it. Once it's out there, that's it. This guy is a terrible example for me because he is a truly vile person who didn't just say something shitty, but the pattern of how it was resolved is what troubles me.

it 100% makes me uncomfortable how many people have a sort of bloodlust for this type of thing. Even IF the person in question is 100% terrible and maybe deserves what happens to them, I don't think most people get in on it out of a sense of justice, but rather wanting to just rip someone apart and ruin their lives, and they found a socially acceptable target.
    Yeah, doxxing is fucked up and I don't think it's a good look for those of us on the left turning a blind eye to it when it's convenient. However, this dude was flaunting his shitty attitudes, got all over the internet, and if people who recognised him decided they no longer wanted to do business with him, or rent to him or whatever, that's their lookout and I'm happy for racists to be shunned and punished by their peers.

Anywaaaaay, there's a book about this very thing and one of the stories in it as actually the AIDS joke lady Regina mentioned, called So You've Been Publicy Shamed.
    I keep meaning to read this. Jon Ronson also did a great book ages ago called THEM, which is particularly fascinating for its trip to Bilderberg with Alex Jones during InfoWars' formative years. Reading the account of Jones' paranoid buffoonery with this decade for context is frankly surreal.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete! View Post
    Yeah, doxxing is fucked up and I don't think it's a good look for those of us on the left turning a blind eye to it when it's convenient. However, this dude was flaunting his shitty attitudes, got all over the internet, and if people who recognised him decided they no longer wanted to do business with him, or rent to him or whatever, that's their lookout and I'm happy for racists to be shunned and punished by their peers.
    I'm ok with shunning and punishment, but I'm not ok with torches and pitchforks. Richard Spencer is going broke. He can't collect money (credit card companies, paypal, etc refuse him), can't earn money. That's great to me. But like if people were *robbing* him, that's a little too far. So for this lawyer guy, if his building says "Hey, you can't renew your lease at the end of its term" or "You're bringing too much attention to the building and it's upsetting the other tenants, so take a break for a bit" that's reasonable. But "You can't come in here any more based on something (horrible) that you said elsewhere despite your written contract" is a little creepy for me. And it wasn't just one bad day with him. Clearly he's a gross human. He individually doesn't deserve extra compassion, but letting us scream till we have our "justice" is not really justice.

I dunno, if they want to break a contract and are prepared to face the legal consequences to send a message that they're not going to do business with racist fuckholes then I'm not going to argue about it.

(I'll be honest, there's so much of this fuckery online now that I'm only peripherally aware of the details in this case and I really can't be arsed to verse myself fully.)

I was just having a conversation about this sort of topic with a friend a bit over a week ago, before this video broke. I think sometimes the public shaming has gotten out of hand. It's like nobody has a right to make a mistake anymore without it being all over the internet. HOWEVER, I do feel feel there is a big difference between youthful ignorance and a highly education person being a racist asshole. YET part of me thinks, we need to be better than this guy. If we resort to trolling, are we any better? On the other hand, as Pete stated above, if people don't want their money going to a racist, I cannot blame them either.

The idealist in me, who is always disappointed, cannot help but think all trolling should be done in an educational mode.
    The prankster in me loved the mariachi band and food truck trolling.
    The mother in me worries about my brown, Spanish speaking daughter and wants to spit in his face...but I believe in PEACE, racist twat!

Well, I think this says it all. Can the mods close the thread? It's not needed anymore. Racism solved!

Hopefully his tweeting violates his dad’s plea agreement with Mueller and his stupid ass goes to jail for conspiracy against the US.

"I'm not racist, I have a friend who is black"
    post28!

trapped in the worst timeline just owls's Avatar
    "We (straight, rich, white men) can't even own you anymore, so what are you bitching about? You have it made."

I can't find confirmation of this, but it wouldn't surprise me

I thought Rose was adorable and even if I didn't.... so what? There are 8 other feature films, a couple of series, a library of novels. She wasn't Jar Jar. She wasn't a villain. I hate fanboys. And while there is a chance it wasn't fanboys but just racists pretending, I've seen enough bullshit around this fandom to not have a lot of doubt.

Star Wars fans are the fuckin' pits. Even now, anything I read about Solo, Episode IX or plans for the franchise has a swarm of dickmites in the comments, bitching about how the franchise has been killed dead by Disney/Rian Johnson/SJWs, and I hate them all and want to set them on fire.

The Last Jedi ruled, and Rose was cute as a button.

I mean, if she stands in the way of FinnPoe then I will hate her forever, but for now she's cute.

SD state lawmaker: Businesses should be allowed to 'turn away people of color'

The comment from state Rep. Michael Clark (R) came shortly after the Supreme Court ruled in favor of a Colorado baker who refused to make a wedding cake for a same-sex couple because of his religious beliefs.

"It is his business," Clark wrote in a comment. "He should have the opportunity to run his business the way he wants. If he wants to turn away people of color, then [that's] his choice."

Clark deleted the post on Tuesday, saying he had "jumped in on it a little bit too fast," the Leader reported.

He later apologized for the comment in an email to a reporter for the Leader.

In an interview with the Leader, Clark said he believed that business owners should be able to turn away certain customers if they would otherwise violate their religious beliefs.

"If it’s truly his strongly based belief, he should be able to turn them away," Clark told the Leader. "People shouldn’t be able to use their minority status to bully a business."

He said that it would ultimately be up to the consumers to decide whether they want to patronize a business or not.

"The vote of the dollar is very strong," Clark said.

Jesus fucking christ. Trump has created an environment to where people feel it's safe to act like it's 1960.

The best thing I can say is if you're going to be a violent racist piece of shit, at least it's better when you suck at it.