Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Buffy The Vampire Slayer

What's not to love about (Buffy) season four? The entire season is worth it for the punchline to Fear Itself.

Last edited by Pete!; 06-21-2010 at 08:39 PM. Reason: lol what's not NOT to love about Angel season four amirite?

Cordelia got screwed sideways, but You're Welcome makes up for it, I think. Willow CONTINUES to ride the express train through character hell into a new hell dimension every month. We've gone from crack magic addiction to Kennedy to "oh my goddess" and that white wig to...erm, snake shagging and a whole load of future awfulness.

Which reminds me, the comics! Twilight reveal sounds a bit boring and silly, frankly.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete! View Post
    What's not to love about (Buffy) season four?
    Well, there is Beer Bad and its unwieldy presentation of alcohol. It is sadly lacking in Marge Simpson appearing at the end to sing a song about MORALS AND ETHICS.

Oh gosh, I haven't read the comics in at least a year or two. I think when I left off there was some japanese goth anime vampire,xander loved and lost again, and then suddenly there was a big robot dawn? Do I have a lot to catch up on?

I hated Season 7 upon first viewing as well; but, now, I love it.
    I loved Season 6 upon first viewing; but, now, meh. (minus the Musical which is still stellar after 5,000 viewings)

Overall, though, I have to say that BTVS is probably my favorite TV show ever.

I'd say it's one of my favorite series as well. I watched it so much, that I decided to give it a rest for a few years. (I'd say I'm about halfway through a 3 year moratorium.) Then I'll watch them all again probably.

Quote Originally Posted by devnull View Post
    Oh gosh, I haven't read the comics in at least a year or two. I think when I left off there was some japanese goth anime vampire,xander loved and lost again, and then suddenly there was a big robot dawn? Do I have a lot to catch up on?
    I stopped when Dawn was a Lovely Horse and Xander wanted to fuck her.

But apparently Twilight is:

Yeah, we abandoned the comics when they ruined Oz.

Jesus. I guess JW isn't even reading them? He needs to be more of a writer again and less of a ~~~producer~~~.

Lest I get bitter about Foss Fhedon, here's an awesome fan video. Of Spike.

Buffy is my favorite show ever.
    Dollhouse cancellation was tragic. I could have loved it forevers.

I love making friends watch Buffy when they hate the idea and are completely uninterested. Next thing I know they are walking zombies from the sessons 1-7 marathon they've just had because they couldn't stop watching. Love the I Told You So moment. Love.

Spike: Like I'd bite you anyway.
    Xander: Oh, you would.
    Spike: Not bloody likely.
    Xander: I happen to be very biteable, pal. I'm moist, and delicious.
    Spike: All right, yeah, fine. You're a nummy treat.
    Xander: And don't you forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aida View Post
    I love making friends watch Buffy when they hate the idea and are completely uninterested. Next thing I know they are walking zombies from the sessons 1-7 marathon they've just had because they couldn't stop watching. Love the I Told You So moment. Love.
    Yes, totally friendship was forged with the new flatmate when I was a shiny newbie in london and she introduced me to buffy. I watched the whole series again recently with my sister, who never watched it before. Her initial "what??! 7 seasons?" bitch moan about not wanting to watch quickly turned to "more!". Btvs is better than crack

I really don't get the comics... I swear fanfics are better written than season 8

I'm open to watching the rest of it, but I just felt really, really satisfied by the end of Season 3. Angel goes away, the Mayor is defeated, they graduate...it just felt very final and complete and satisfying for me, so much so that I thought about watching Season 4 and I was kind of like, "....eh, I don't really feel compelled to." And then I read some synopses of the major story arc, and it just didn't sound interesting to me.

All my friends who watch Buffy are torn about Season 5. Some of them love it, some of them hate it (because they didn't like Glory?).

I HAVE watched Hush and Who Are You? from Season 4 (both awesome), and of course the musical episode, which cracked me up. And apparently Season 5 episode "The Body" is one of the best eps of the series.

What are everyone's favorite episodes? Lie to Me from Season 2 is one that stuck with me. Also Doppelgangland from Season 3, because Alyson Hannigan is AMAZING. And pretty much any of the two-parters that move the mythology and main story arc forward.

(Did anyone else get disproportionately emotional when the Sunnydale High students give Buffy her recognition at The Prom? I know, I know, it was kind of a sappy moment, I guess, but augh. Facetears.)
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

I think the best part of season 3 is The Wish. I love Giles' final showdown with Anyanka.

"What makes you think the other world is any better than this?"
    "It has to be."

Also, re: later story arcs being interesting - season 5 is a hugely interesting arc, and the tightest season in that respect. It's why it's so polarising (aside from the new characters and further shift in the gang's overall lifestyle). There's no escape from the main storyline if you're not enjoying it, no monsters-of-the-week that don't serve a larger purpose. It's a GREAT season though, and really kickstarts the gang's true maturation. I enjoyed it a lot at the time, but I appreciate it and season 6 a lot more now that I've left high school and uni and the big bad is THE REAL WORLD etc.

re: season 4 - I love the overall story arc, but there are several things going on, so it's hard to say whether you'd enjoy it. A lot of people tend to find the Initiative stuff boring (I go back and forth on it), but there's some major character work that goes on (Spike and Willow in particular), so it's worth watching for that alone. Season 4 also has an underlying looseness imo, and is held together more thematically than anything else. It really begins the exploration of the Slayer mythos. And it has Restless, which is basically the still point around which the rest of the show turns.