Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What a Drag it is Getting Old!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thumbs down What a Drag it is Getting Old!

Just a general thread for us to come in and complain like the oldies we are getting to be or already are.

Since hitting my mid thirties, stuff is really starting to change. Scattered and missed cycles are the latest annoyance.

Also, I'm getting soooooooo many grey hairs lately. Everywhere.

I'm 43 next week. Christ. How the hell did THAT happen?

The main thing that's happened to me re: ageing is my eyesight getting worse. It was always near-perfect until last year when I suddenly began to have major issues reading small print close-up. I was having issues with my eyes related to my rosacea (dry eye syndrome, now thankfully sorted for now) and thought it had to be something awful to do with that - you can get ocular rosacea and I feared the worst. Seriously, I was imagining everything bad. So I went to the optician and got a proper eyetest, after which he informed me that my eyes were very healthy and that I was simply suffering from the usual lessening of eye muscle strength that starts in your early forties. Quote, "It's your age, love." YES THANK YOU. So I got reading glasses. First pair ever. EXCITING. Actually, I spent some decent money and picked a really nice pair of frames and I rather enjoy wearing them. Sometimes I wear them when I don't really need to, because they're actually quite flattering and I keep getting comments at work about how nice I look in them. So apart from not being able to read small print on packages and things when out if I don't take them with me, it's not really a giant negative.

I have no cycle issues at all - my periods are much lighter than they were but they're still super-regular. Grey hair - yep, it's crap, but well, that's what hair dye's for. I also recommend serious make-up. I now use a much lighter foundation than I used to (with titanium dioxide, a UVA-blocking sunscreen) and some Givenchy (SMMY will be so proud of me!) highlighting prisme powder highlighting type things that I swear take a few years off me. I'm a total convert - they make me glow and I look better than ten years ago, I swear. Having my rosacea finally well under control and having had a few laser treatments over the past few years to get rid of some of the broken capillaries and general damage it caused over the years it was untreated helps immensely with that as well. I also do dry-skin body brushing with a soft bristle brush and use a Salux cloth in the shower and again, my body skin looks better than ten years ago. Much smoother and brighter. On the plus side too, I don't seem to suffer with eczema anymore, except for a tiny bit that will flare up on one hand occasionally and is easy quelled with some cortisone cream. OK, I've exchanged it for more exciting and insufferable skin auto-immune-based complaints, but it's nice to see the back of something that has plagued me since childhood. My mum says my first doctor said I'd grow out of it. Well, it's taken 30 years or so, but I guess I have, for the most part.

What I've found is that as you get older, maintaining a regular exercise pattern - nothing super-strenuous or stupidly punishing, but regular, weight-bearing and that works your whole body - is of immense benefit. My knees are the part of my body that's faring the worst in terms of wear and tear. They're creaky as hell - I'm sure I inherited this from my mum's side of the family - but daily low-impact exercise means it's easy to kneel down and get up and run up the stairs and do all those things that I find I can't do half as well when I slack off and lose muscle mass. It's really important to keep the muscle on and try to keep the fat off to keep from putting stress on the joints. I've lost weight and am thankfully thinner than in my mid-thirties now, which is good. I have exercise-induced angioedema and have to drug myself to exercise, but it's worth it. I eat a lot better too - lots more vegetables and fruit, organic yoghurt and foods to maintain gut health and as little junk as possible, although I'm certainly not perfect in that department and need to cut down on sugar more.

So, you know, it's not too bad, this ageing thing, for me, so far. It's just I can't get away with bad habits anymore re: diet and exercise. I'm really a lot more aware of my mortality than I was and it's affected how I treat myself. It really affects me when I don't eat properly or make an effort to move daily.

Hah, yeah, as far as I'm concerned my fertility window is utterly closed. Shut. Kaput. It's probably still slightly possible given my system seems to be in general overall working order but I feel zero urge to reproduce, just like in previous decades. Always said the biological clock was a myth, glad to have proved it in my case. Daily Mail writers will have us all believe you reach 40 and become a Broken Woman Full of Regrets, but I can assure you all it ain't true. Mostly, if I feel anything at all, it's relief.

I'm 38. I remember on The Golden Girls, Blanche says something like never bend over and look at your face in the mirror after a certain age. Yeah, my entire face falls forward, wtf! My hands have gotten nice and wrinkly. I've always been in active person. I have had super toned arms, but yeah the triceps are working against me.

On the other hand, my periods have gotten really regular in the last couple of years.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    I'm 52 and am somewhere around being in the best physical shape of my life. I didn't start working out until I turned 47 and it has made all the difference with respect to how I feel about myself and my general outlook on life. No doubt about it though - it is much more difficult to drop weight once you hit about the 40 y.o. mark. I am constantly struggling to make sure that I have a more balanced diet, something I pretty much ignored when I was younger.

I still get my period regularly every month and I am soooo tired of it. Never wanted a kid so fertility isn't an issue.

Grey hair - well I started getting those at 22 so there's not too much I can say about that.

Me and my buddies need to get reading glasses so we're not holding a menu two feet in front of our faces when ordering in a restaurant.

I will say that I have LOADS more confidence in myself and in the way in which I choose to present myself compared with say twenty years ago.

I do feel my mortality now more than I used to and I am quite aware that some of the very best days of my life are behind me. But I am optimistic about the future: I didn't get into photography until about four years ago and am now constantly honing my skills. There is some awesome stuff I am excited about doing with regards to shooting & editing. And I want to enroll in a martial arts course! And I want to do more yoga! And I want to go on a hot air balloon ride! And I want to go on some more awesome hiking adventures (I already have one planned for next month.) Also, I love traveling alone which is something I would not have considered doing when I was back in my 20's.

There are of course so many pluses and minuses to aging. From my perspective it works much better to focus on the positives (excellent health, great family, wonderful boyfriend) and on the completion of goals as opposed to bemoaning the things that I've lost as time has gone on.

Quote Originally Posted by Kala View Post
    There are of course so many pluses and minuses to aging. From my perspective it works much better to focus on the positives (excellent health, great family, wonderful boyfriend) and on the completion of goals as opposed to bemoaning the things that I've lost as time has gone on.
    Gosh, yes. Every year I am more confident. I feel more aware of who I am and how to accomplish what I want to accomplish. I am nowhere near as shy as I used to be. I teach. I stand in front of two different groups of 25 faces and I use a language that I didn't begin to study until I was 27. Fuck! When I am not having a pity party about my body image, I actually feel proud of myself. Just tonight, I benched pressed 75% of my body weight 13 times. I can still bench my body weight (1 to 2 times).

PS. Guatemala is awesome. Tikal is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    I am nowhere near as shy as I used to be.
    Fucking hell I used to be an introvert until I hit my 30's!

Just tonight, I benched pressed 75% of my body weight 13 times. I can still bench my body weight (1 to 2 times).
    That is so inspiring.

ETA: I shoot hoops now (no layups) and am pretty darned good. When I was a kid NO ONE wanted me on their team in phys ed.

Same here! I am still an introvert, but not overwhelming so.

ETA: I shoot hoops now (no layups) and am pretty darned good. When I was a kid NO ONE wanted me on their team in phys ed.
    I sucked when I was a kid. I was ugly, made fun of, overweight, wore braces on my legs, etc. I had nowhere to go but up.

[ validated ]
    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Every year I am more confident. I feel more aware of who I am and how to accomplish what I want to accomplish.
    Yes.. there's that. I went through things in my early twenties that normally people wouldn’t go through until much later in life, and I wouldn’t change a thing now that the dust has settled. I’m slowly but surely coming back into my own (version 2.0).. more comfortable in my skin and care less and less what people think of me with each passing day.
    Last edited by C33; 01-22-2013 at 11:21 AM.

I forgot to mention my cankles. Arugh!
    But yeah, here I am from 2010. My cankles and I went to Guatemala.

Guatemala is on my bucket list of places I want to see before I croak!

Ditto.

So far I don't mind aging. The slight lines and wrinkles don't bother me, though the texture of my skin is changing in a way I'm not too crazy about. My boobs seem to be pointing in different directions than they used to, which just makes me laugh. One thing I love about aging is the maturity and confidence. I stayed immature for a long time - outwardly I acted mature and "put-together," but I struggled with a lot of anger and self doubt that I've managed to overcome with experience and time. I like myself better as a person than I ever have, and I feel like I just know myself in a way I didn't before.

Weight is a major issue for me, though I think it has less to do with age than it does with falling prey to increasingly bad eating habits.

I spend minutes now in front of the mirror usually at night or in the morning when I wake up, plucking strange textured white hairs poking out of my head. I still haven't decided if I will color my hair to hide the grey, or just go au natural.

Weight gain, having a sedentary job sitting at a desk all day, hasn't helped with the age outlook. I try to get myself to the gym to maintain myself, somewhat. I just remember when I was younger, and was able to eat three plates of spaghetti, and never gain a pound, and now I have to be concerned about whether to put cheese on it this or that. It sucks!

she might not be so bold fullofwish's Avatar
    I still feel pretty young (I'm 33) but there are certainly some things that happen now that would never have happened in my 20's.

I have zero problems with my period but since I am also on the fertility non-issue/Childfree bandwagon I kinda wish it'd just shut up shop.

If I don't get 8 hours sleep, I essentially have a "hangover" the next day. And if the lack of sleep is combined with booze, I'm pretty much a write-off for between 24-48 hours

No grey hairs yet, and I have always had hormonal issues that effect my body hair, so I don't notice changes there either. My eyesight is still excellent, but my hearing is dodgy - although, it has never been great I think due to childhood issues with my ears (ongoing infections, glue ear, etc).

Most of all, I notice that I get out of bed with a sore back or neck or whatever and all I can put it down to is that I slept wrong. How the fuck do you sleep wrong?!?! But, it seems to be pretty common that as you get older, your capacity to do something that seems like the most basic, simple thing a human being does can indeed be done wrong

YES! WTF is up with the random chin hairs??? Christ. I told my husband I'm going to keep track of them on a map I create of my face so when my eyes go that someone can pluck for me!

I'm starting to hold things away from my face to be able to read them. And I have to have good lighting or it's a lost cause.

I do enjoy having more confidence in myself and a "I don't give a shit what you think" attitude that comes with it.