Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: What a Drag it is Getting Old!

No, I believe The Fear can strike at any age. I never knew there was a term for until a year or so ago, then I thought 'Oh, I've never had that.' Then I realised I have, and in spades, it's just I only get some of the symptoms, mostly the paranoia. OK, and the hurting hair.

Lately I've noticed that my feet always seem to hurt, even on days when I haven't been working. I just bought new shoes with good arch support, too! Perhaps I need to supplement those with extra insoles. I think I just need a young, muscular stud with Rolfing credentials to massage me and cook my meals. Naked.
    Sometimes I think the so-called "experts" actually are experts.

The middle joint of my middle finger has been aching for over 24 hours now. I haven't strained it in any way I can think of, so I can only imagine it's the onset of arthritis. A few years ago I'd ache in the same place every once in a while, but the pain would go away after a few hours.

I'm 32 years old and a pianist. This just can't be happening.

But I've been in Egypt for the last week, no where near a piano.

Thank you so, so much Kari! It looks like it probably is tendonitis rather than arthritis after all. YAY!!!

Ha! you found the perfect emoji for your situation.

But isn't it funny how once you hit a certain age, you start wondering about everything:"Is this a hangnail or fatal disease?"

I'm having a sore throat (strangely, mostly painless), but my lymph nodes have never been so swollen in my entire life. They're almost like Frankenstein bolts on the side of my neck. According to WebMD than might be almost nothing or deadly cancer. Now that I'm not 20 anymore ...by far, the worst possibilities are more concerning.

I started a 1% Retinol cream to imbue me with youth again.....been about 3 weeks and I look like a sunburned lizard or as though I've been at my face with rough sandpaper

trapped in the worst timeline just owls's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by abaddog View Post
    I started a 1% Retinol cream to imbue me with youth again.....been about 3 weeks and I look like a sunburned lizard or as though I've been at my face with rough sandpaper
    Are you going slow with how often you're using the cream? Every third night for a while until your skin can tolerate more, then every other night. Some people never can use it every night. Also make sure you're not using something else before it making your skin more sensitive. If you're using it over a product that contains a lot of alcohol or irritants, messing with your skin barrier function, that will happen. If it's still too much, try to buffer it with another product.
    http://www.skinacea.com/retinoids/us...l#.VL7PjnZU_m0

I've been getting random greys since I was 15. No biggie. I'd just pluck them out. But the last few months, every time I look in the mirror, I'm finding more. I pluck and pluck and the next day there are more revealed. I really want to hold off on dyeing my hair for as long as possible to minimize long-term damage (and because root upkeep is a pain in the ass), but I feel like I am way too young to be having this many greys. I'll be 28 in April. I'm also getting deeper lines on my forehead and around my eyes, while still breaking out all over my face, neck, chest, and arms.

I am simultaneously too old and too young for this shit.

imagine a future and be in it emanate's Avatar
    ^ I've said it before and I'll say it again: I think that by the time you have grays coming in, you should be exempt from having acne ever again. Clearly my body doesn't know this logic. Strangely, though, having breakouts has helped me bond with at least one teenager at work. A girl who is usually very upbeat came in all sad-faced one day. When I asked what was wrong, she said, "I have zits!" So I looked at her and said, "Hey, I do too!" while pointing at my chin. She laughed and high-fived me.

Princess Sparklefists Sansa Spark's Avatar
    I'm turning 32 soon and have had to stop drinking pretty much entirely. Oh my god, yes, to the chin hairs. I have pain in my pinky joints pretty much all the time (and my grandmother's arthritis started when she was my age). No clue on periods; I only have one a year thanks to my IUD. But I'm sure they'd be all out of whack too. Also WEIGHT GAIN. I had to up my Scary Weight by ten pounds, and I'm almost there! Fuck. I'm gonna have to start exercising, aren't I?

ETA: My hair is probably 20% gray but I don't even care because the grays are more silver and I kind of like them.

trapped in the worst timeline just owls's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    Plucked a STIFF WHITE HAIR off the top of my head last night. Ughhh. I earned that grey hair this year.
    Yeah, the last year and a half has aged me terribly, but when I look back at what I've been through and am still going through, I can't be that surprised that I am looking more like Doc Brown with every passing day. Those white hairs that just stick out are vengeful SOBs. I'm pretending the silver ones blend in with my natural copper highlights, but fuck the white ones.

Princess Sparklefists Sansa Spark's Avatar
    Also what the fuck, as my parents got older, it seemed like they just constantly slept and here I am, getting the worst sleep of my life and I've always been a shitty sleeper.

And coffee has started giving me headaches.

Goddamnit.

I've noticed that a few of my eyebrows have decided to grow extra long!

I'll be 41 in December. Somehow, last week, they got my A cup boobs into the machine for a mammogram. JOY!
    Last edited by entropy; 09-22-2015 at 02:27 AM.

So far I like getting older; I'll be 35 in a few months. I used to be really, really insecure and unhappy with my weight. I've come to terms with it a few years ago, and about a year and a half ago I started losing weight with very little change in my life (I've started to walk a bit more, and eat a bit less). So far I've lost 16 kilos, and I feel a lot more healthy and light on my feet. Of course there's always a little voice in my head saying "IT'S CANCER! IT'S CANCER!" but yeah. It probably isn't?

It's also wayyyy easier for me to fall asleep. I used to toss and turn for hours. Not anymore. Though I have noticed it is now almost impossible for me to fall asleep without the TV on, or some random comedy album on Spotify.

Of course I've noticed that I can't exactly stay up until 4am anymore and then function like a normal human being the next day. But that's fine, I guess.

I don't have the energy to go out and do something after work every night. I used to go to the movies like 3 times a week, go for drinks with friends, stuff like that. I still do, but less frequent, I prefer having people over at my place and I definitely need like 1 (but preferably 2) nights all to myself to just hang out and watch TV.

Ugh, I'm getting hairs on my back.
    I've always been a rather hairy fellow but and I kinda like it but backhair, ehhh, not so much...
    I think I'm going to turn into one of those guys who has his SO shave their backs for them
    post28!