Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What a Drag it is Getting Old!

Oy With The Poodles Already!
    38 here! My 30s have been filled with ups and downs both mentally and physically, but the thing that annoys me the most is that I have a huge patch of gray hair near my bangs, and yet I still get occasional breakouts. It's like, "body give me one or the other, but not both!"

My periods are fairly regular, but I am so over them. I'm hoping for an early menopause, my mom hit hers at 45.

Other than that, life's pretty good right now. Slowly losing weight, and getting healthier.

it wouldn't even matter other pete's Avatar

Re: What a Drag it is Getting Old!

6 months left of my 30s and I feel like I'm crawling toward their finish line TBH. After being an unwillingly reclusive teen, had a great, unbelievably great 20s (it got better!), but the last decade has been almost entirely about finding the strength to cope with door after door closing, telling myself it wouldn't keep happening, and it keeping happening, people I thought I was close to turning out to only have had proximity. Constant tiredness, intermittent depression, isolation and loneliness. Sooo, fuck my horrible 30s basically. I'm hoping the decades of my life will work like Star Trek movies with the even numbered ones being worth the wait.

Oh that was a rant I wasn't expecting to give when I started typing! Ok, two health improvements though: hayfever and regular bouts of tonsilitis both surprisingly stopped in my 30s, which is great.

42 here.
    Periods...heeavvy - regular, then irregular, then regular again.
    Grey hairs... multiplying every hair cut. I've made the ol' hair mascara my friend between hairdresser appointments.
    Health concerns....Mum has cancer on the lung and liver. She wasn't fit enough to have a lung removed, so had to undergo radiation and chemo. I think I should get fit just in case I have to make that decision. Plus mum's mum has altzheimer's, so wanting to delay that somewhat. I think it is hereditary.
    Moody as hell. I'm wondering if I'm peri-menstrual. I feel like I'm PMSing almost all the time.

[ validated ]
    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Every year I am more confident. I feel more aware of who I am and how to accomplish what I want to accomplish.
    Yes.. there's that. I went through things in my early twenties that normally people wouldn’t go through until much later in life, and I wouldn’t change a thing now that the dust has settled. I’m slowly but surely coming back into my own (version 2.0).. more comfortable in my skin and care less and less what people think of me with each passing day.
    Last edited by C33; 01-22-2013 at 10:21 AM.

39 here, and... trying really, really, really hard to love it. My signs of aging have been brutal, considering how youth centered the gay world is. Deep set lines around my mouth, the belt of fat that doesn't disappear no matter how many crunches I do and a graying beard. The toughest has been the loss of hair. What an insult to have my hair move south from the top of my head to my ears and the tip of my nose. THE TIP OF MY NOSE! ARGH!!!

Oh yes, PMS! I've always struggled a little bit with it, but the past year has been bad. Like I'm either yelling, crying or crawling into bed to hide from the world bad. And it takes me a day to realize that's what's going on, and that it will pass, since my cycle is irregular.

imagine a future and be in it emanate's Avatar
    You know what I think? Once you're old enough to have gray hair growing in, you should be exempt from getting acne ever again. I'm 29 and I get both. I actually prefer the gray hair to zits.

Another sufferer of adult acne here. I mean seriously, wtf. I have a few hairs on my chinny chin chin as well. I love my tweezers. But as my dad told me one year when I gently teased him about approaching 60. He said, "Well, Wendy it's better than the alternative." I try to remember this.

I get these wiry white hairs in my facial hair and they stick straight out and they're as long as all the others, but I swear they weren't there the last time I looked! They either grow super-fast or they hide between other hairs until they're long enough and then, *boing* stick straight out.

And the hair on my shoulders and back! *shudder*

And both my knees are shot- especially at work, when I kneel down to pick something up or whatever, I have to pause and gather up the energy to shift my weight, straighten the legs out and stand back up again.

And my right ankle is just pathetic. Every so often it just gives out for no discernable reason and even with a brace, I'll have a noticeable limp for a few weeks, then it will start to feel better, I'll stop thinking about it so often, then I'll start forgetting to wear the brace, then it just buckles on me again.

The ankle is why I quit running. And why I put the 60 pounds I lost 5 years ago all back on, plus 15 more. I haven't figured out any exercise regimen that works for me since (or that I've had the motivation to keep up with anyway), and personally, at 35, my self-confidence is probably at an all-time low. I was looking at mountain bikes this weekend, maybe I'll give that a shot since there's actually someone I could go trail-riding with at the moment.

the reichenbach hero fox in socks's Avatar
    im 30ish. everything EVERYTHING takes longer to recover from---late nights (even if booze free), boozy nights, injuries, etc. It's annoying. There are things I *think*I should be bale to do that I can't. Just cant--like push myself from a fitness standpoint. Now its maintain and slow and steady wins the race or some shit.

On the other hand, from a sense of self standpoint, i actually have a sense of self. i give less of a fuck what people think of me, and less a fuck about appearances. the sense of balance in my life is ever expanding. also, im glad i never had (or plan to have) kids. i think that would've stunted my personal growth.

I'm going to be 36 this year and realistically I'm healthier than I was even as a skinny athletic teenager but that isn't stopping some of the weirdness happening.

My hair is getting darker/less red/less vibrant. For a while I didn't care about my grey hairs but I'm dying again just to keep my hair from looking so dull
    Weird chin hairs? Yup I got them, they drive me NUTS and seem to be incredibly hard to pluck out. Frig they hurt.
    PMS? The past 6 months have been HELL, it'll be 2 years in April I've been off birth control(had my tubes tied) and the week before my period starts has been getting worse and worse.
    Sleep - I never can get enough of it and I get the "hangover" if I get too little or even these days too much.
    Old injuries - I'm finding that injuries from my youth are making themselves known again. Things I've forgotten about until someone asks me if I've ever injured X before.

I had never been really drunk until last year, so I really have nothing to compare it to, but I'm relieved to find the few times I've actually partied it up in the last 6 months or so, I have had zero hangover. None, zilch. I dunno if it's just in my constitution (I come from a long line of drinkers) or if it has something to do with abstaining for so long, so nothing's been damaged by it yet, but I hope it isn't a fluke.

Also, that's definitely another thing that's changed is my attitude and general outlook. I had never tried booze or pot, now I find myself with a stash of weed in my spare room and tequila in my fridge. I can't really say why I never partook when I was younger, but I kind of look back on those days bemusedly, when I was always the driver, or the one who needed to go talk to the cops at the front door. I've always hung out with heavy partiers, but never was one of them. It wasn't a moral issue with me either, I didn't judge, I just never felt like it , y'know? But now, I totally do. Odd.

'twas mbc 'twas kollins Michael Michael's Avatar
    I turn 30 in a couple of weeks (Jesus Christ I was 17 when I started posting on atforumz: wtf, time). My dad turns 70 in a couple of months. I'm actually more freaked out about the latter. I'm very close to my family, and I'm lucky to have both parents in excellent health, but I dread their inevitable loss. It's the kind of thing I'd think about from time to time even as a teen, but it obviously becomes less of an abstract anxiety as we all age. Sigh.

As for my own aging: my chest hair has been making a slow advance over my shoulders and onto my back. I usually don't give a care, but every couple of months I'll go "oh god, hair between my shoulder blades, clearly unacceptable." Beard has been salt-and-pepper for a year or two now, with increasing salt and decreasing pepper.

In less vain and more functional matters, I think I'm in pretty good shape as I hit 30. But my lower back has begun to give some trouble (usually mild, thankfully only occasionally moderate). I can see that'll be a treat over the coming decades. I've also noticed much less endurance for social things. If out with friends, heading home before midnight seems desirable even if I don't have anything on for the next morning. Hangovers have also worsened, and are no longer worth the trade-off in my mind. Plus, I want to save the money and avoid the health side-effects (calories, inflammation) that accompany booze, so I now drink modestly and infrequently. Is this "maturity"?

I think the things I fear most, for myself, are things like joint pain, lessening mobility, etc. Both my grandmothers lived into their 90s. One had pretty bad dementia but was still fairly mobile; the other had a mind as clear as springwater but was so arthritic as to be practically immobile. It's an awful choice, but if given it I'd pick the former, I think.
    Last edited by Michael Michael; 01-23-2013 at 02:26 PM.

Jesus christ you're not even 30, get outta here!!

PMS: YES worse. I'm a raging lunatic the week before my period. This is new since my mid 30s (I'm 39). Horrible back pain very similar to back labour during my period. WTF.

Only 1 chin hair, but I have a few boob hairs. Again, WTF.

I got my first grey hair at 17, so I'm pretty much salt and pepper now. I've been dying my hair every 6 weeks for about 5 years. I don't mind, it gets me out of the house LOL

My bikini line has spread to halfway down my thighs LOL

I'm definitely more confident and feel very secure in my life and relationship. I still battle with depression though, but that's mostly linked to my horrible eating habits (vicious cycle: eat bad, feel bad, eat more, lather rinse repeat), and I do this KNOWING that healthy eating makes me happier. Ugh. Self-sabotage is the worst.

so what if i like pretty things Bryan Alan's Avatar
    I'm 31, but will be turning 32 very shortly here.

I used to be able to eat basically whatever I wanted and as long as I hit the treadmill once or twice a week, I'd maintain a normal weight. Now I gain 5 lbs just by looking at a piece of bread. And I work out a lot more than I used to!

I have grey hairs popping up everywhere, but the worst one is the single giant grey eyebrow hair that people will lock their eyes on during conversation if I don't maintain a proper plucking routine. Don't worry, IT ALWAYS RETURNS.

Yeah, and drinking - just not as fun as it used to be. I also used to be able to function normally from 5 hours of sleep. These days I definitely need a full 8 hours. Also, I've developed an overwhelming desire to take a nap everyday around 2:00 p.m.
    tuna rubber a little blubber in my igloo