Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What a Drag it is Getting Old!

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    I had a mild anxiety attack last night. I looked down at my hands and they were not MY hands. They were some old lady's hands. The lines were deep, the skin not supple.

It looks better this morning, but that has gotten the strongest reaction out of me, mostly cause there's nothing I can do about other than wear gloves.

Based on my family history, I wasn't expecting to have significant gray for another 20 years. But no, I'm not that lucky. It went from just a few to "OMG where'd they all come from?" just over the summer.

My relatives still treat me like a child, which is extra weird. I had to yell at someone last year and be like "You do know I'm almost 40, right?"

Wrinkles and pimples are not fair. Right now, I have a pimple and an ingrown hair next to my mouth. It's like a supervolcano of icky facial flaws. It looks like a cold sore too, so it's extra awesome.

I had a big shock myself when I turned 30 but I think it was mostly due to my father's death when I was 29. It really marked the moment and I spent quite a while unbalanced (well, I've always been unbalanced but it was an exacerbated period of that). I'm going to be 33 in april and I really feel old and it's bothered me a lot this year, more than at 30 or 31 actually. I've lost a lot of weight all through the last decade and more (since I was 18 when I weighted 300 pounds, I'm 175 now), so it's not like I started gaining weight as a lot of people in their 30s do. I guess I'm lucky to have developed the obsession to exercise and watch what I eat. But for a year I've gained like 5 to 10 pounds and it's making me crazy. And I started loosing my hair in my mid-twenties, but slowly, and now I have to keep it short otherwise it looks awful (I always thought it looked awful anyway). So, yeah, getting older is just another thing you have to face each day and that can bring you down. You have to be strategic and adopt certain ways of life in order to keep this in check, but sometimes I just feel like letting it all go to the trash. And then I pick myself up again.

Oh, I thought I'd write down my ideal way-to-get-better recipe : get up at 6, make a fresh juice from vegetables, eat breakfast (either cottage cheese with fruit or cereals), go to the gym and work out for more than an hour, go to work or come back home and work at home, not smoke before 17h, work until 21h without a single drink (oh, maybe just one...), relax a little (book, movie, chat) and go to bed EARLY (22h or 23h), and then do it all again the day after. And drink more than 2 L of water during the day. Yay! But then of course...
    Last edited by Homogenik; 01-24-2013 at 04:02 PM.

Rogue hairs, I got 'em, but not on my chin as far as I can tell. The first was a big black hair that grew out of my forehead, these are straight, black and thick, completely unlike any other hairs on my body. They are also very deeply rooted, tugging on them, it looks like they have a follicle the size of a cherry pit. There's no way I'm pulling those out, I shave instead. The last one was on the bridge of my nose.

Also, the hair cutter asked if I wanted my eyebrows trimmed last time. *sigh*

What a Drag it is Getting Old!

Whenever I get down about being in my last years of thirtysomething I start thinking back to all the awesome things I've done that are impossible now-- I saw Portishead and Tricky live for Portishead's second album, partied with the Beastie Boys, danced with Lady Miss Kier from Deeelite, front row at Tribe Called Quest and De La Soul and PJ Harvey for Is This Desire. I witnessed the OJ car chase in real time. Bought Nirvana's Nevermind the day it came out. I've walked in balls, won a trophy, and saw Paris is Burning in the movie theatre having a kiki time watching all the Voguers battling in front of the movie screen. So yeah, growing old suxxx, but I've had fun doing it.
    Last edited by Banjee; 01-24-2013 at 09:25 PM.

I'm a creep I'm a weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by other pete View Post
    6 months left of my 30s and I feel like I'm crawling toward their finish line TBH. After being an unwillingly reclusive teen, had a great, unbelievably great 20s (it got better!), but the last decade has been almost entirely about finding the strength to cope with door after door closing, telling myself it wouldn't keep happening, and it keeping happening, people I thought I was close to turning out to only have had proximity. Constant tiredness, intermittent depression, isolation and loneliness. Sooo, fuck my horrible 30s basically. I'm hoping the decades of my life will work like Star Trek movies with the even numbered ones being worth the wait.

Oh that was a rant I wasn't expecting to give when I started typing! Ok, two health improvements though: hayfever and regular bouts of tonsilitis both surprisingly stopped in my 30s, which is great.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one. Right after I turned 31, I quit smoking, started running, changed my diet and got into the best shape of my life. Then about six months later I lapsed into depression like I hadn't seen since my early, angsty 20s. I've been struggling with it now for four years (hopefully more drugs coming soon!). The more time that goes by, the more disenchanted I've become, which I guess is just reality setting in. I think I'm mostly just disappointed with myself and feeling that I've wasted too many opportunities.

What a Drag it is Getting Old!

^no regrets. You can't change the past. just work on making things better in the future.

I just had the worst menstrual cramps I can ever remember having. Like, rolling on the floor howling in pain, cramps.
    Is this part of being pre menopausal?

Quite possibly. I'm 42 and my Dr said they'll get worse for a while. My remedy - 2 ibuprofen plus 1 buscopan and maybe a heat pack.

Oy With The Poodles Already!
    LOL, menopause is one of the few things I am looking forward to in growing old! I cannot WAIT to be done with periods, bring on the hot flashes I say!

these days just seem to crush me
    i've found that i'm becoming a hypochondriac as i've gotten older! for example, i went off birth control for the utter fear of dying of blood clot. and stopped using tampons because of a fear of toxic shock syndrome. i know it's weird, and RARE, but christ, it now feels like i fear death constantly. i used to pop tylenol like crazy during menstrual cramps, not caring at all because i was in so much pain, and now i'm a lot more careful about it.

it's just a bunch of weird health things that come up, and i HATE being like "omg i hope i don't die" and at every little thing (or at least i fear i'm going to suffer from a horrible disease).then the side effects from medication make me panic too.

please tell me i'm not the only one and i'm only 30 and already have anxiety over this when i never used to be like this.
    Last edited by Jessy; 02-17-2013 at 01:39 PM.

Oh me too! I have become a huge hypochondriac! I think its normal as you age. You realize that you are not invincible and that's a rude awakening.

Very fucking rude, if you ask me!

And in the evening it's. . . Andrea's Avatar
    Speaking of very very fucking rude, I found a noticeable hair on my chin. I feel like one of the three little pigs.

Icon15

My only gray hairs so far have been in my left eyebrow. What?

I'm a caffeine FIEND but I can't have any past 5:30 or I'll be up for hours.

Hangovers are a day-long affair ..... Jesus!

I'm not easily intimidated or silenced anymore. I have the wisdom of experience and the luxury (not the pressure) of time. I will never drink a shitty beer again in exchange for fewer calories. I can hold a mortgage on my own and I know who I can depend on. But goddamn I miss the days when I could lose weight by merely eating less.
    ... here i am!

Oy With The Poodles Already!
    Last Friday I went to get my hair cut, and the kid who was doing my hair (adorable btw, he had his hair up in one of those bun filler things I've seen commercials for), said "I LOVE your gray! It gives you so much spunk!"

Totally made my day! He then suggested I dye just the gray some bright fun color to give it more zing.