Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: What a Drag it is Getting Old!

I don't have any gray hairs yet. My mom said she didn't get any until her 40's, so I probably still have a decade to go. Both my mom and grandmother's hair got REALLY thin when they got older, though. If I had my pick in the genetic grab bag, I'd DEFINITELY prefer to go gray over losing the majority of my hair.

I've got a friend who's 59 and has never colored her hair. It's really silvery and healthy; very pretty.

I'm staring to get a ton of grays. I'm thinking of shaving my head on my 40th bday and just letting it grow back all natural from there.

I'm hoping I'll look like this:

But I'll probably look like this:

Last edited by Barbarella; 11-25-2014 at 03:00 PM.

Meh. I've got maybe 10% grey (as in, white) and I hate hate hate it. It stands out against my dark hair and drains the colour from my face. So I dye my hair and intend to for the forseeable future. My hair grows fast, so keeping up with the root action is a pain though.

My beard is very dark, and it's starting to go full-on white---not grey, not silver, WHITE--but only in one quadrant!! XD Come on, guys! You could at least distribute evenly! Gimme dat salt-and-pepper action!
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

the advantage of having dishwater blonde hair is that I can barely see any gray hairs. I still color because I hate my dishwater blonde natural state and it fluffs up my anemic hair shafts.

I was thinking about this thread and people complaining about chin hairs. My chin hairs have gone gray! At least they are less obvious that way. I do tweeze them.

I've had gray hairs since I was 23. I'll be forty in a few days. I have lots of gray hair now, 10 to 20%. I'm not ready to have gray hair yet, so I totally dye my hair.

Quote Originally Posted by The Markness View Post
    My beard is very dark, and it's starting to go full-on white---not grey, not silver, WHITE--but only in one quadrant!! XD Come on, guys! You could at least distribute evenly! Gimme dat salt-and-pepper action!
    Over the past year I've started letting my beard grow out. It's nearly jet black, but now suddenly it's full of bright white hairs. First it was one or two, but now it's everywhere. I also noticed after a closer look that it's full of blonde and red hair, too. Turns out a bunch of my cousins also have dark brown/black hair but grow red in their beards.

I've been so perplexed (and slightly horrified) by it all that I've decided to start shaving again.

I did the Movemeber thing and let my beard grow. I had a few splotches of white hairs in it, but what really shocked me is that all the neck hair that grew out was entirely white. I looked a sight. Took the clippers yesterday and shaved it down again .

My body is taking way more time in terms of healing. Iv'e had a scratch on my hand for a month now and I can still see it! Where as my son hit the drive way with his face and 4 days later he's almost healed. GAH!

I used to be able to pull all-nighters and function the next day until bedtime. I've noticed this year that it's now impossible. If I stay up all night, I crash somewhere around 1 - 2pm the following day and cannot force myself back out of bed. Not that pulling an all-nighter is a good idea at any age, but it's one of the first times I really noticed things changing with my age. Everyone joked when I turned 30 that I'd start noticing stuff and it didn't happen, but this year at 31 I've seen and felt a lot. Sometimes my knees and legs hurt for no reason when I get out of bed, my hairline is receding and my hair overall is thinning, sleeping on a friend's couch or in a hotel bed kills my back... the list goes on.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    sleeping on a friend's couch or in a hotel bed kills my back... the list goes on.
    I just had this conversation the other day. I used to literally pass out on a floor and be fine the next day. No big deal. Just give me a pillow. The idea of doing that now short of being too sick to move? hahaha, nope. And I feel like such a prissy little princess, like I'm some sitcom snob that is too good for sleeping on a floor, that it's some ultimate first world problem, but goddamn it, I need a bed and one that is not totally shitty.

The way my body responds to alcohol has completely changed in the year since I turned 30. I used to be able to have a few cocktails on a weeknight and get up the next morning for work, no worse for wear. We used to go out to the club on a Friday and drink our faces off until 3, then pop back up at 11:00 with a mild hangover and a smile. NO LONGER. If I drink anything beyond a moderate level, I'm out of commission the entire next day. And even if I do just have a drink or two--whether beer, wine, or liquor--I still feel kind of sick and slow the next day. Workouts the following afternoon are harder, too. I also get very, um...puffy in the face when I drink now, which did not used to be the case. So, I'm learning how to scale back, exercise restraint, etc., which is not something I'm particularly good at but my body's forcing me to do it.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

I hear you all. I just had a ... what a friend labelled a er .... Dionysian weekend in Dublin and I've spent the last three days sleeping for 12 hours at a crack. Monday night I had a delayed version of The Fear, all paranoia and sadness. I'm only 44! I protest at these biological shenanigans! The only consolation is that some lads 10 years younger than me are currently suffering worse, haha.

God, I remember the days when I could stay out all night and teach the next day. If I tried that now I'd probably have a stroke.

I really don't drink much these days apart from the occasional beer when I go out, or the odd ludicrous Bacchanal when I get exceedingly merry. Partly to keep the weight down, as drink = empty calories, partly for obvious health reason and mostly because I don't feel the need. The Fear is a term taught to me by the Irish:

imagine a future and be in it emanate's Avatar
    I feel for all of you 30+ folks who feel like shit after drinking. I'm right there with you! I had one drink on Thanksgiving and another the day after and then proceeded to feel shitty all freaking weekend. My anxiety was all ramped up and I couldn't be bothered to do much of anything but lay around like a slug and waste time. Now, I'm all for taking a weekend to relax and decompress, but I couldn't manage to do either of those things. It was awful. Needless to say I don't want to repeat that anytime soon.