Thread: Hair removal - what do you do?

Red face Hair removal - what do you do?

So, I was considering getting my very first brazilian wax. I'm not sure if/when I'll get the nerve to get one, but I was seeing how easy it would be to do myself.

Stumbled on this blog and found it funny. how-to-give-yourself-at-home-brazilian

Anyone able to share their experiences of brazilian or hollywood waxes? Is it best to simply get a professional, or should I just stick to the standard bikini or G string bikini wax? I hate heating up wax in the microwave, so thought of using the pre-waxed strips. Not sure how effective they'll be.

Also, inspired by the Health forum's topic on getting older, I think I'm going to tackle those pesky chin and jaw hairs by electrolysis. I did it years ago in my teens on my 'mo' and it worked well.

she might not be so bold fullofwish's Avatar
    I would not in a thousand years give myself a brazilian wax. In my experience of using those products (not in the bikini area) the pre-waxed strips are hard to get hot enough to be really effective and they tend to leave wax on the area you are waxing. I used ones that you warm up by rubbing them between your hands and they were hopeless. Wax in a pot heated in the microwave was better, but still not nearly as good as having a professional do the waxing.

I tried giving myself a bikini wax once. One strip and I stopped. It was too hard, too messy, and I couldn't pull the strip fast enough and hard enough for it to work (it's really hard to purposely hurt yourself). I've had it done professionally ever since. And it does get easier each time you do it.

I concur with the do not do it yourself crowd. It's worth having someone do it for you: for pain, cleanup and getting everything reasons. I waxed my legs once and couldn't ever pull the wax strips fast enough/hard enough. My legs look like someone took a baseball bat to me, REALLY screwed up the "go to the beach" plans.

I concur with the "do not do it yourself" crowd. No, no, no.

I tried to do it once around my underwear line when I was a teenager. I used some sugar wax shit that came from the As Seen On TV store (I can't remember what it was called, but it was popular before Nads, and it came in a container with a pinkish/peachish lid). Anyway, THAT SHIT HURT and also made me bleed.

Do not try this at home.

This is a procedure where it's definitely better to have someone else (a pro) do it. They can see angles where you can't, and it's easier to pull the strip in way that won't damage your skin.

If it's about nerves, don't be nervous. If done correctly, it stings for a few seconds then it's fine. If you're embarrassed about how you look down there, don't be. It's all about getting the job done correctly and safely, and the esthetician should be mature enough to not have the giggles because she/he/whoever is looking at hairy lady parts.

I've never had a bikini wax at all, so I really can't say about the experience, but from working on a lot of procedures, the clients love it. It's better than shaving and doesn't give those nasty bumps or razor rash and it doesn't itch when the hair grows back in (well, it generally doesn't if it's waxed off).

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    I've been getting bikini waxes for 15 years from the same gal. I barely feel a thing when she does them. Over the years we have struck up a sort of friendship and use the time that I'm in her salon to catch up on stuff. I can't imagine ever going to anyone else to get them done.

Hair removal - what do you do?

I would love to get a bikini wax but I'm absolutely terrified.

I had my bikini line lasered over 10 years ago. It worked wonders. I did it because waxing was painful and not permanent. All these years later, it needs a bit of work again, but no where near as bad as it used to be. I do recommend it for standard bikini lines, though I wouldn't do it for a brazilian. (the laser does hurt a bit, but they ice it to minimise the pain factor).