Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bates Motel

streak his blood across my beak PoorMatty's Avatar

Bates Motel

Did anybody watch this premiere tonight? I thought it was very disturbing, but pretty great. It seems to not really have all that much to do with Psycho in the end; actually gives me a pretty strong Twin Peaks vibe. I'm definitely interested to see where it goes.

I watched it. I thought it was OK, nothing special. What pulled me in was Vera Farmiga ... she really is a stunning actress. I'm hoping she still lands some plum film roles ... I think she is one of the best actors of her generation, but she really hasn't had the great roles she deserves.

Yes, Vera Farmiga was the aspect of the show that kept me interested. I did find my mind wandering in scenes she wasn't in. I have never seen her in anything before, I don't think.

Down to the Bone, The Departed, Up in the Air. Go!

I thought it was good, with potential to be better. Vera and Freddie Highmore (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory!) were both first-rate. That one scene that was so graphically violent was intense, but I prefer the scenes where it's just the two of them. That one in the boat toward the end was my favorite. I was half expecting it to end in a great big movie kiss. I hope they keep going there with the incestuous angle, because that will be all sorts of creepy good fun. Oh, and yeah, I caught the Twin Peaks vibe too!

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    I love Vera Farminga... when she is giving interviews she goes into cosmos speak. I feel like she is very attuned to the universe. hehe She's just a fun person to listen to when she's not making a movie. Some of her stories are too ... like the last time she was on Craig Ferguson.
    "Washing Machiiiiiine" - Kate Bush

I liked the first episode, but it was hard for me to get past Freddie Highmore's awful American accent. He sounded like somebody trying (and failing) to sound Canadian. It was distracting.
    When they're calling
    From the edge

I loved it I'm just unsure when this is supposed to take place. Everything is set up to insinuate that it's a prequel of sorts before Psycho but then people whip out their smart phones. So what Pyscho is now set in 2050!?!? Seriously, I frickin loved the first episode and this video is my honest reaction to liking it so much!

It is a prequel, but it is set in the present day. It's MAGIC! Actually, I think it's a good artistic decision.

2nd half of the video is from episode 2 I think. I think i'm going to love the brother dynamic if nothing more than his brother is HOT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCFWZB0V2eI
    Last edited by RisingPhoenix; 03-24-2013 at 08:00 PM.

I thought the second episode was an incredibly stupid mess.
    When they're calling
    From the edge

I kind of have to agree. And they're definitely gunning for the Twin Peaks factor. I feel like the fault was in the writing. I mean, show us why the town is creepy, don't just have the police officer pretty much tell the main character, "Everybody in this town is up to some fucked up shit." I was engaged and interested while watching, but once I had time to sit back and think about it, the clunkiness of it all became very evident. I will still keep watching though, cause I love Vera Farmiga's character. Straight up asking the girl about her life expectancy and then smiling when it's grim? How wonderfully demented.

I like the brother character because he actually seems somewhat normal, but are you seriously going to stick around after your little brother tries to murder you with a meat tenderizer? That was just dumb. Also dumb: the little manga book, the shed in the woods, the pot fields, etc. I was hoping for more of the fucked up dynamic between the mother and son as he tries to have normal relationships with people his own age while she is occasionally being a murderer. All this other stuff just feels ridiculous.

I wish they'd narrow their focus to the creepy interactions between mom and son. Every time I see the CF girl, I groan. I'm thoroughly interested in the murder of the rapist/mom and son are too into each other/mom is toying with cop's affections to clear her name storylines, but the pot fields/sex slaves/burning men angle is just too much.

I'm enjoying it so far even though the 2nd and 3rd eps weren't as good as the first, which was top notch. I do like the idea of the whole town being crazy a la Twin Peaks. I just hope all the storylines tie in together and we don't get a bunch of pointless and random Ryan Murphy-esque plot lines that have nothing to do with anything. The only thing I don't like is the pot field sub plot. It's just way too out of left field and doesn't gel well with the overall vibe of the show. I'm still up in the air about the modern day setting being a good thing.

just the caught the tail end of last night's episode....did people think it was back on track ?

Yes, I think it's back on track. I only thought episode 2 was sloppy. I like how we don't know if the hot cop really has a girl locked in his basement or if it's just a part of Norman's psychosis.