Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bates Motel

Vera Farmiga better get an Emmy nomination or there's gonna be trouble!

Quote Originally Posted by PoorMatty View Post
    I can't decide if I'm supposed to or not, but I feel tremendous sympathy for Norma. She is so childlike in so many ways, and I think means so well but is kind of clueless. I just want to reach in the TV and hug her. Vera Farmiga is amazing.
    I feel this way too. They've given her enough depth that she's not just a caricature of the overbearing mother. And yes, Vera is amazing. She's got some great material to work with and is doing right by with every scene. While I can't say I like Norma, you at least get a feel for why she is the way she is. She's much like Cersei in GoT. Bad person, but really didn't have much of a chance to be anything else.

Also...the set! Psycho is one of my favorite Hitchcock films (only recently knocked from #1 by Rear Window) and I love the attention to detail both with the exterior of the hotel and the interior of the house. Spot on! (Or are they working with remnants of the original set?)

I watched the whole season over the course of about 2 weeks. I had too much stuff clogging my DVR to start another show so I waited to start watching. I was transfixed.

I really enjoy how believable Freddie Highmore is as a young norman bates. There are certain prequels/prequel series that are good but I'm like "there's no way the young actor becomes the older actor". (Hannibal rising is the first movie that comes to mind) He was especially convincing in the scene where Bradley breaks up with him.
    Last edited by RisingPhoenix; 05-31-2013 at 01:52 AM.

Started watching this yerterday, watched 6 episodes in a row
    Even though I was not really into the manga thing and the pot field in episode 2, I really think it's going well after that !

Can't wait to watch the rest

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    It's been so long since I've watched it, Simon, but there are so many things combined that make the show a must watch every week.
    First, the cinematography, props, and set decor is out of this world.
    Second, the script doesn't have them often enough.. but there are wonderful creepy moments like when Norma finds out that her son's possible gf won't live long enough to be of any real significance.. and then completely hates on the new girl whose mortality should be fine unless Norma, herself, intervenes .. lol
    Lastly, Vera Farminga. And that is all I have to say about that.
    "Washing Machiiiiiine" - Kate Bush

They finally put this on Netflix Instant since the second season will be premiering soon, so this weekend I watched all ten episodes. I really enjoyed it/was entertained by it. It's very Twin Peaks in some ways but it's also not as "mysterious" as Twin Peaks...more like a modern noir.

I think both Vera Farmiga and Freddie Highmore elevate this with their performances. I don't think I would have gotten as wrapped up in it it not for them.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

It returns March 3rd!

I'm interested to see where they go with it/if they can sustain the things about that I like.

Well ... the season premiere was kind of boring :/ Don't really know where they're going with this

streak his blood across my beak PoorMatty's Avatar
    I was actually sort of happy with the season premiere, but mostly just the Norma/Norman relationship. The show does tend to lose me when it veers into other things. Watching it dawn on Norma that Norman killed his teacher then watching her immediately, subconsciously go into denial mode and push that thought out of her mind all in a matter of seconds was spellbinding. Vera is almost uncomfortably real to watch she is so good.

I'm really enjoying how season 2 is progressing. It is really amping up to be a direct tie in to psycho. I heard they got renewed for a third season and I'm hoping it's over after that.

Yeah I have a feeling all of these intensifying plot threads are winding towards something extremely horrible/tragic in the finale.

This show is great, even though on paper I think it would probably look strange, or like there's too much going on. Somehow all the different components work together.

I've always felt like it was sort of Twin Peaks-ish without the supernatural overtones, but in reality it's actually very, very....well, Hitchcock. That struck me, last night. Vera Farmiga as the signature chilly blonde heroine, who isn't a picture of mental stability herself...

I am loving this season. And I never get tired of looking at Vera, she is fucking gorgeous!

How good was that finale, y'all??

Quote Originally Posted by The Markness View Post
    How good was that finale, y'all??
    I really enjoyed it! I have a (much younger) co-worker who doesn't know the premise of psycho and she's just confused by everything. I'm like "how can you not know psycho?" Anyway, I can't wait until she finally she's it and puts the pieces together.