Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Elimination training", aka, disgusting people with too much time on their hands

"Elimination training", aka, disgusting people with too much time on their hands

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/19/ny...-the-park.html

I just don't even know what to say.

Excuse me, I misspoke - Elimination Communication.

the reichenbach hero fox in socks's Avatar
    oh jesus. really? REALLY? 4 months eh? she must have her life pretty well sorted if she has time for that business. i didnt see if she was from park slope, but im going to assume she is.

eta: oh yes--a park slope shout out. how DID i know!??!?!

eta2: "elimination communication" seems like pretentious, sanctimommy renderings. i would think normal, human parents roll their eyes so hard at this shit.

eta3: also, no
    has been drawing capacity crowds to its diaper-free “Meetups,” where parents exchange tips like how to get a baby to urinate on the street between parked cars.
    come on, you guys.

A doula. Oh, I see.
    Caribou Baby, an “eco-friendly maternity, baby and lifestyle store”
    Leaked Portlandia scripts.
    Parents are drawn to the method as a way of preserving the environment from the ravages of disposable diapers
    I bet they all use slow-cooker liners tho.
    Last edited by Whappo; 04-21-2013 at 03:42 PM.

I love how this is a hip fad while in some parts of the world its just reality.

I'm going to start pissing between parked cars from now on. For the environment or something.

I cannot imagine going to a party and chasing my kid around with a bowl and then standing in the corner while he shits into it.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    you don't understand! It's about what's natural and best for the environment! It's not that anyone's too lazy to wash cloth nappies or anything:

There are misses, she admits, but even cleaning up a small mess on the floor is easier, she says, than laundering diapers.
    Oh wait.

You've got to be fucking kidding me.
    chillin in kyoto grand with my man Skrill

I'm flabbergasted. I have so many questions I don't really want to know the answer to. What will happen when they are in a park? Will there be a need for signs that says 'pick up your kid's poo'?

First reaction: this is for trustfund hipsters turned parent and people without real jobs and way to much time on their hands. Rich, narcissistic, attention-seeking people without real jobs who feel that everything they do is deeply important and deserves a special label or perhaps a book deal. People who are ultra-privileged and want cookies for doing things that people do or did in the past because they were poor as hell and have no access to things (like sanitation) that make life bearable for everyone and result in actual female emancipation. Note to idiots - people in undeveloped countries and the back end of beyond don't do this stuff because it's beautiful and true and out of some noble-savage-esque concern for the planet - they do it because they have.no.choice.in.the.matter and generally, once they get the choice, they choose to abandon it with extreme haste. All this stuff is designed to turn an adult woman into a 24/7 slave doing endless gruntwork for free. You can't do much else when you're waiting for the next arseplosion and carpet-scrubbing adventure. Oh wait, do they make the poor nannies follow the precious goldenspawn around with a fucking shitbowl and a piss-rag all day? Or have they never actually cleaned in their lives before and all this activity just comes as a hilarious novelty? I just can't imagine the appeal of any of this to people who have grown up doing their own cleaning and having to work for a living. Who wants a home full of crapbowls? Who'd want to visit? Who'd stay if they did? It's worse than 19th century slums ffs.

Second reaction: If you're really concerned by the environmental impact of your children to the extent you're making them shit and piss in the street like a beggar and you're ruining parties with the smell and sight of raw sewage, maybe it's time to admit you probably shouldn't have had a child at all. No child = zero impact. I really doubt a true concern for environmental impact is really behind this, though. Sounds more like the usual holier-than-thou competitive hip-parent crapola taken to a new and disgusting level.

Third reaction: even though she's soul-sister in terms of privilege, look-at-me-ism and pretending she's reinventing the wheel, even GOOP isn't this utterly pathetic.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    Ms. Shapiro scattered little bowls around the house to catch her daughter’s offerings
    so the kid's piss and shit are referred to as "offerings" - how fucking nauseatingly precious.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    I wonder do they follow through and use chamber pots themselves too, and then empty those pots out the window. Total retro chic.

Quote Originally Posted by Kala View Post
    so the kid's piss and shit are referred to as "offerings" - how fucking nauseatingly precious.
    My child shits indigo.

I'm just in this thread for personal amusement. I can see a new line of poop-catching bedazzled bowls in Bergdorf Goodman, with expressions like "Juicy" emblazoned across them.