Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Miley Cyrus is like a bird.

It's ok but like I really dislike her voice. I find myself wishing someone else was singing it

ice cream and pizza Father Lucifer's Avatar
    This whole new album cycle is so manufactured and makes me think she's one of the reasons why the music industry is in a creative slump. Yuck.

I get what you're saying but as fas as this calculated reinvention goes, the music is fun!
    post28!

ice cream and pizza Father Lucifer's Avatar
    ^ But it feels so fake

The music is OK-ish. It feels very opportunistic. Like 'authentic' is the thing these days (but it feels like the exact opposite).

Anyways, I won't troll Miley's thread anymore. I'll stick to Arcade Fire because I actually rooted for them.

^ I disagree, I find her reinvention much more genuine and natural than Gaga or Kesha's, for example. can't explain why, but this new music really gets me. love both Malibu and this new song, and this video is really good, too. all in all can't wait for this album

I think she's one of the best and most talented acts we have today when it comes to mainstream music. which is something I'd never imagine saying years ago
    Не може со обични зборови да ја домами необичноста, зашто и необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат.

I really like this song. It feels like her work with the The Flaming Lips, mixed with her poppier stuff.

I think there is a good song hiding there, but the production on the chorus is too aggressive.
    It feels like a good singer songwriter song, but the production doesn't work with the lyrics.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyland View Post
    Excellent song and video!

Yeah, I actually really like that song.

I also hesitate to call an artist's sobriety a "manufactured" move.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

I don't think it being about her "sobriety" makes her immune from accusations of capitalizing on it. That's basically all her career has been. It's like, "well, I've pushed the sex thing as far as i could, short of fucking on stage, and using black hiphop culture and dwarves has been done, guess getting sober is the next obvious next step." Do people really not see through this?

That being said, i think these new songs are absolute snoozefests. At least when she was Wild Miley some semi-interesting music came out of the whole thing.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yo Jupiter View Post
    ^ I disagree, I find her reinvention much more genuine and natural than Gaga or Kesha's, for example. can't explain why, but this new music really gets me. love both Malibu and this new song, and this video is really good, too. all in all can't wait for this album

I think she's one of the best and most talented acts we have today when it comes to mainstream music. which is something I'd never imagine saying years ago
    "reinventions" can be genuine and natural. What might be less genuine is the focus on one style of music, simply because it sells. Most musicians are interesting in more than one type of music.. Kesha's whole background is country/folk (her mom is a country singer who co-wrote a #1 hit for Dolly Parton in the 70s... I think it's fair to say she grew up surrounded by that as much as anything else)

Quote Originally Posted by plastic•husband View Post
    I don't think it being about her "sobriety" makes her immune from accusations of capitalizing on it. That's basically all her career has been. It's like, "well, I've pushed the sex thing as far as i could, short of fucking on stage, and using black hiphop culture and dwarves has been done, guess getting sober is the next obvious next step." Do people really not see through this?.
    This is one of the most cynical things I've read on here.

Maybe her music is just reflecting her life? If it was Tori Amos, would we think differently? "omg she's selling out capitalizing on her breakup / miscarriage / marriage issues / child".

It's like we want some singers to have their music reflect their lives, but if others do it, it's just promo for their records..

Quote Originally Posted by ebby View Post
    If it was Tori Amos, would we think differently?
    Yeah.

Why are you comparing her to Tori Amos? Miley is the most manufactured of pop stars and if you think there aren't industry suits pulling the strings you are naive. She's not a Tori Amos, PJ Harvey or Patti Smith. Not trying to put her down, I like some of her songs, but she's a celebrity first. I mean, didn't this thread start in the Scandal Sheet?

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by plastic•husband View Post
    Yeah.

Why are you comparing her to Tori Amos? Miley is the most manufactured of pop stars and if you think there aren't industry suits pulling the strings you are naive. She's not a Tori Amos, PJ Harvey or Patti Smith. Not trying to put her down, I like some of her songs, but she's a celebrity first. I mean, didn't this thread start in the Scandal Sheet?
    Eh, every musical artist who creates an image is a manufactured entity. Hence why Tori talks about becoming Tori Amos, but also being all her other roles and personas. It's just as much artifice as any more commercial pop artist.

Please, though, continue to call me naive while you assert some claims of authenticity about people you don't know based on how they portray their commercial image in order for you to consider buying their music.

Love the new song! Excited for the album. I loved Dead Petz and Bangerz. No shame.
    Living in my own personal Cornwall bubble